Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

I have worked and lived in both Poland and Ireland. 15 years in Ireland. Why would I not be a remainer, I'd be mad not to be. I don't believe I said leave was a better option, I said I was sick of the entire subject and no longer cared.

You're likely to be caring an awful lot more in the years ahead.
    Why so obsessed with the royals?

A question better addressed to your news media.
    I won't capaign in a campaign that is over. The leavers won a fair and square referendum. That's democracy, you can't change the mandate because it doesn't suit the few. That's just not cricket.

For a remainer, you're very good at parroting Leave arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Clearly stated that in the brackets.

Right. I'm out. Things to do and I see there is no real discussion here. Enjoy your echo chamber. I may return but I don't have time for this bombardation of closed opinion. The Guardian being pro brexit should have you all cringing if you actually endorse that comment.

Rejoice in your victory, another Brit vanquished by sheer force of numbers. How many have given up talking to you lot now?

I had a 'day off' from this crap and am catching up on posts. Your 'efforts' have been a bit lacking I must say. That you are giving up already and blaming the posters here for that is basically Brexit in a nut shell.

Start posting all guts and glory, receive a contrary view in return, and then give up and retreat. I'm sure you are 'more convinced than ever that Britiain must leave the EU'. It's quite pathetic.

If you are genuine in your want to debate the issues, there is a place for you here.

RE the Guardian, that poster Firemansam4 is clearly incorrect and under the wrong impression. That is not the majority view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

I will respond to this as you have presented it in a reasonable tone and have some fair points. Then I have to go.

Brexit will hurt everyone. There are plenty countries waiting to see what happens here. The truth is that nobody knows. Both sides are scaremongering, one got us into the mess, the other is trying to subvert a referendum result. Both are abhorrent.
    I don't think I would describe trying to redo a 3 year old illegally run, referendum based on obvious and outrageous lies - lies which are now even more obvious - "abhorrent" - especially given that there was already a referendum in the UK on the matter and various Brexiters (including Mogg and by implication Farage) promised a second referendum on whatever deal was produced.
    In fact I was suggest that it abhorrent to suggest otherwise.
    In terms of scaremongering, I do think it is amusing that the UK government effectively calls leaks of its own realistic and current no deal plans "project fear" - deliberately sabotaging any preparation for no deal.

I did not come on expecting a pro-brexit stance. I have been following this and many other brexit discussions for years. I never said I thought Brexit was a good idea. I identified myself as a remain voter with Brexit fatigue. I believe we can protect our borders better, I also believe a lot of EU law restricts us and the European Court is becoming more of an issue to our freedom. I still believe it is a lessor evil than cutting ties.
    What is "too restrictive" exactly? Bendy bananas and prawn favour crisps?
    The UK is an important power globally, to pretend otherwise is less than short sighted. The constant pulling apart of our politicians is possibly deserved but let us not pretend Ireland or the EU have any better caliber of leadership.

I'll take the EU or Irish politicians over the UK charlatans any day.

As for being an " important power", it is something of a waning diminished former power - in the EU, it got to 5th biggest - but now 6th or 7th and lower - and soon to be a rule taker - see how it must now do what China says in relation to Hong Kong and what the US wants in relation to Iran. It has lost a huge amount of political and diplomatic power- and that is only going to get worse. That is before it loses Scotland or Northern Ireland. Let's see what ignominies and humiliations will follow - will it give up las Malvinas to deal with Mercosur?
    Corruption, nepotism and lies are prevelant right throughout both sides and the center of politics. It will be a dry day before we get that sorted.
    The "they're all corrupt" attitude on the part of the public plays into the hands of the most pathologically sociopathic, mendacious and corrupt politicians - which would be the Brexiters in the UK at present.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I had a 'day off' from this crap and am catching up on posts. Your 'efforts' have been a bit lacking I must say. That you are giving up already and blaming the posters here for that is basically Brexit in a nut shell.

Start posting all guts and glory, receive a contrary view in return, and then give up and retreat. I'm sure you are 'more convinced than ever that Britiain must leave the EU'. It's quite pathetic.

If you are genuine in your want to debate the issues, there is a place for you here.

RE the Guardian, that poster Firemansam4 is clearly incorrect and under the wrong impression. That is not the majority view.

As you can see, there are post after post directly engaging me within minutes of a post. This is not viable. I came back to quell a few snipes as I'm waiting for my grass to dry.

It might help if everyone here didn't assume I am a leaver just because I don't like unfettered immigration. When Limerick looks like Bradford I'm sure the Irish viewpoint will be the same. I can be a remainer and not be for open borders.

There are plenty stuck in various central positions of this argument. It's not all us v them as it is made out to be here. It would be much simpler if it was truly polarised, the truth is that this is incredibly nuanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I won't capaign in a campaign that is over. The leavers won a fair and square referendum. That's democracy, you can't change the mandate because it doesn't suit the few. That's just not cricket.

It was neither fair nor square, if you put 10 people who voted leave into a room and asked them what leave meant to them you would get 10 completely different answers, that is not a square referendum and it does not give a mandate for anything, especially so with the no deal option.

And im not gonna even start on how much evidence there is to prove that multiple people on the leave side cheated and lied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

It might help if everyone here didn't assume I am a leaver just because I don't like unfettered immigration. When Limerick looks like Bradford I'm sure the Irish viewpoint will be the same. I can be a remainer and not be for open borders.

17.3% of the population of Ireland are foreign born, compared to 14% in the UK. In general the immigration into the country has been seen as a good thing. Or are you referring to a particular immigrant community?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Bradford is the way it is due to non eu immigration it has nothing to do with the EU and deffinitely will not suddenly change after October 31st.

Bradford isn't filled with EU citizens - it is filled with migrants over whom the UK had absolute discretion.
    Furthermore if you want to prioritize migration of people who roughly share a cultural viewpoint that "perhaps blowing up as many children as possible at a concert is not moral" and who are quite likely to return home when they finish working - I would suggest that ending EU freedom of movement was a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

There is no solution, like remain and leave the positions are too entrenched and anyone offering a central viewpoint is crowded out by both sides. Hence the Brexit fatigue.

There is one solution: revoke Art.50 and start again, this time with the benefit of knowing all the implications (and the inherent contradictions arising from May's red lines).

Failing that, well you're just going to have to learn to live with the fatigue, because Brexit-Day is the official start of the process, not the end. A solution must be found, because the United Kingdom cannot continue to exist in its current form without a workable solution.

I'll try once more to get you to answer a straight question: as a self-declared unionist and Remain voter, do you think that the break-up of the United Kingdom is a fair price to pay for getting over "Brexit fatigue"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

NGOs are well documented transporting African economic migrants to the EU. What is your issue with this exactly?

Your inability to grasp that the UK's EU membership does not in any way oblige it to admit them.

• Advertisement

There is one solution: revoke Art.50 and start again, this time with the benefit of knowing all the implications (and the inherent contradictions arising from May's red lines).

Failing that, well you're just going to have to learn to live with the fatigue, because Brexit-Day is the official start of the process, not the end. A solution must be found, because the United Kingdom cannot continue to exist in its current form without a workable solution.

I'll try once more to get you to answer a straight question: as a self-declared unionist and Remain voter, do you think that the break-up of the United Kingdom is a fair price to pay for getting over "Brexit fatigue"?

I will say it again, I have no say but my vote. I am clearly in a minority, I expect to be so again in the Indi ref after brexit. I can't revoke art 50, I can't change the minds of politicians. My MP is a Scottish Nationalist and an absolute clown. I have discussed many things with him, he is of one policy only and lazy to boot.

I will have to deal with being a Scot in a tiny insignificant country if the majority vote for that or is it now acceptable to defy a majority in a democratic vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Enzokk wrote: »

But that one had been rejected, right? So the EU gave them a new deal on different terms, which the government then had to back.

This will almost certainly happen for the UK too, if/when it crashes out in a 'No Deal' Brexit.
    The WA text - without the for the UK good stuff e.g. transition periods - will have to be ratified by the UK before any other negotiations can begin. But it's very likely that the EU27 will demand many more 'hard' concessions from the UK before any real trade talks will be scheduled - e.g. global taxation transparency, minimum taxation levels and other tax areas, climate and environmental standards, human rights, labour rights and production environment standards....

The EU is not an inexpensive place to shop deals and its prices may well get a bit extra, if the buyer (here the UK) is close to the EU and/or has little or no alternative choices.

The US is not in any foreseeable future a realistic alternative market for the close to 50% of the UK export now going to EU27 countries.
    Greece had to face the consequences of the economic policies that got them into the position they found themselves.

Austerity itself is not bad, its not getting yourself out of it and continuing it as the UK seems to do that causes more headaches.

Long term you can't use more than the country produces and this is what hit Greece. They voted for governments - left or right - that borrowed in order the use much more money than was available.
    Corruption, nepotism, tax evasion, very early retirement, over spending (e.g. the Olympics) and simply lots of too little and too bad governance....

Greece debt had a 53% haircut in the 2010-13 time frame and the rest is what the Greek population now are suffering to pay even at a much reduced interest rate and over many more years.
    Greek debt will likely get another haircut when corruption, nepotism and tax evasion are more effectively prevented and good Greek governance is continued - I think.

The UK had (has?) a financial sector very willing to take high risks in the hope of higher profits. This forced the UK to bail out more institutions around the financial crisis (Northern Rock, RBS ...) and help others with large sums - directly and indirectly.

Austerity was somewhat needed in the 2008-2012 time frame, but using austerity to avoid higher taxes or worse directly reducing taxes is to me nothing but being overly nice and sweet to the more wealthy people.

Lars :)

First Up wrote: »
    Your inability to grasp that the UK's EU membership does not in any way oblige it to admit them.

Many end up camped in Calais and are now boating across the channel. Given the EUs reluctance to stop the influx on their shores I can fully understand why people would vote to leave the bloc and strengthen the border checks.

That might not be what happens but it is what people want and what they voted for.

To all the other immigration posts. Yes, I don't like third world migration. It is degrading our society and integration is not happening. No, I do not expect this to change due to brexit.

Brexit was a protest vote. It is a warning of severe dissastisfaction with our country and its leadership. It is because of immigration, nothing else. Understand this and then you can start looking for solutions europe wide. Nobody wants to leave to be poorer, nobody wants to leave to start a war. This is just a symptom of an underlying problem which has been exacerbated by Merkel opening her arms to a massive wave of third world economic migrants. It was never going to end well.

People are shooting themselves in the foot to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We also buy the things they want to sell. As the worlds 5th largest economy we still have our uses to the outside world.

That was before Brexit, 7th largest economy in the world now, just ahead of Italy last time I checked

Bambi wrote: »
    That was before Brexit, 7th largest economy in the world now, just ahead of Italy last time I checked

Out of 195? Still a major global player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

NGOs are well documented transporting African economic migrants to the EU.
    You left out the bit about George Soros paying for it all ...

VinLieger wrote: »
    Bradford is the way it is due to non eu immigration it has nothing to do with the EU and deffinitely will not suddenly change after October 31st.

This is it.

There is undeniably a problem of integration in the UK, but it is not the fault of the EU. The EU is the scapegoat for immigration, as it is for many of the other big issues in UK politics.

This is the fault of successive UK governments who have not managed immigration properly and have allowed 'ghettoisation' to develop. It is an internal UK issue.

As has been pointed out, non intra EU immigration is and has been within the 'competency' of the UK governement. That's pretty simplistic really, but it seems the average man on the street does not get it. Brexiteer propogandists pushed this line and many fell for it, unquestioningly.

[Img]https://res.cloudinary.com/dods/image/upload/c_fill,g_center,h_500,w_1120/v1/UK politicians/pa-26625464_nbxweh.jpg[/img]

There was also the big lie RE Turkey.

uk-politics-46926119

serfboard wrote: »

He doesn't fund the ships directly but does fund the umbrella groups that facilitate and fund them. The open society foundation is well documented and easily researched.

Your point is?

This is it.

There is undeniably a problem of integration in the UK, but it is not the fault of the EU. The EU is the scapegoat for immigration, as it is for many of the other big issues in UK politics.

This is the fault of successive UK governments who have not managed immigration properly and have allowed 'ghettoisation' to develop. It is an internal UK issue.

As has been pointed out, non intra EU immigration is and has been within the 'competency' of the UK governement. That's pretty simplistic really, but it seems the average man on the street does not get it. Brexiteer propogandists pushed this line and many fell for it, unquestioningly.

There was also the big lie RE Turkey.

Completely agree. The average voter is not getting it but the issue is an open wound that resulted in brexit.

If immigration had been dealt with this would not have resulted but Merkel opening her arms in 2015 was the straw that broke the camels back. There was no way the wave of migration could be contained in Germany (as Ireland will find to its cost in the coming years) and so the UK people pulled the plug.

The fact that they were wrong and misinformed changes nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Many end up camped in Calais and are now boating across the channel. Given the EUs reluctance to stop the influx on their shores I can fully understand why people would vote to leave the bloc and strengthen the border checks.

That might not be what happens but it is what people want and what they voted for.

To all the other immigration posts. Yes, I don't like third world migration. It is degrading our society and integration is not happening. No, I do not expect this to change due to brexit.

Brexit was a protest vote. It is a warning of severe dissastisfaction with our country and its leadership. It is because of immigration, nothing else. Understand this and then you can start looking for solutions europe wide. Nobody wants to leave to be poorer, nobody wants to leave to start a war. This is just a symptom of an underlying problem which has been exacerbated by Merkel opening her arms to a massive wave of third world economic migrants. It was never going to end well.

Yes it was a protest vote, very few would dispute that. But is the alternative to being on a football team to stamp your foot and say 'I don't like the ref' and leave the team? Its also called 'biting off your nose to spite your face'. It really is not a solution to anything.

Just because you claim the referendum was fair and square does not make it so - Ireland does referenda, we know how they need to be run, and it was never claimed that the referendum was anything other than advisory, the population could afford to use it to protest, it didn't matter. That was bad judgment, but to cut off a leg because you broke a toenail makes no sense at all.

Meanwhile you can't have it both ways, be a remainer yet argue to leave. Claiming a middle line is feasible is nonsense, you are in the EU or you are out. To go out on a wave of accusations, arrogance and ascribing blame is really burning your boats.

I could possibly have got more metaphores into this, but I didn't want to overdo it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Remember how the leak about Operation Yellowhammer was only the worst case scenario and how it was an old document?

https://twitter.com/RosamundUrwin/status/1165567876440498177?s=20

So it is the base case scenario and not the worst case, and it was dated August 2019 so the leak was not done by one of the previous ministers as Johnson said.

What has happened to the UK? Why is it allowed or feasible that the government is allowed to spin such lies without any pause or even thought? I shudder to think what will happen if Johnson wins a election, with the right wing cabinet he has installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

The EU is a handy scape goat, across many EU countries. There was no shortage of critical of the EU here during the throes of the recession. Governments in Poland, Italy and Hungary for example are very adept at blaming the EU as a means to keep their domestic support.

The UK has been doing it for longer. Bring up an issue, whether contriversial or not and blame the EU features heavily. So we have hard core Brexiteers, some wanting a deal, a strong element of reluctant remainers and a small rump of committed remainers. The common theme across the majority is a lack of understanding of what the EU is or isn't, its parliament, single market, customs union and So on. Right across the EU28. The most fundamental point is the bulk of power remains with the 28 PMs and governments. And the only way to get business done are common rules, otherwise the whole thing would have fallen apart ages ago.

The EU needs to consistently and constantly explain itself and in a concise manner. Before brexit I had little clue what it meant bar this fuzzy feeling of Ireland has done well out of it. In the UK, this fuzzy feeling runs the other way, and has been manipulated to outright hostility.

The UK must leave. The UK needs to take the time to sort itself out and my two cents worth is start of getting rid of FPTP. Getting to a sustainable post Brexit deal is going to be unpleasant for both of our islands and the hold me back merchants are going to be shouting loudly. An utter mess brought about by Tory infighting.

Many end up camped in Calais and are now boating across the channel. Given the EUs reluctance to stop the influx on their shores I can fully understand why people would vote to leave the bloc and strengthen the border checks. .
    The EU is "reluctant" because the EU has no authority in this matter - it is entirely a matter for individual states. The EU is similarly "reluctant" to stop that black hole swallowing a neutron star 900 million light years away (and 900 million years in the past) recently discovered. What you seem to be suggesting is that the power should be taken away from individual states and given to the EU.

Just so long as you are clear that Brexit will make all of that much much worse - since "foreign" migration from places where people will come and stay forever will increase post Brexit. Plus who knows, if no deal is bad, the UK may end up becoming the Papua New Guinea to the EU's Australia -the place to dump illegal migrants in order to discourage other illegal migrants.

Out of 195? Still a major global player.
    I suppose that depends on how you see things - I am sure that if Italy decided to "go it alone" to "reestablish the Renaissance spirit of Florence, Venice and Genoa", the UK would be the first to smile in amusement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Remember how the leak about Operation Yellowhammer was only the worst case scenario and how it was an old document?

https://twitter.com/RosamundUrwin/status/1165567876440498177?s=20

So it is the base case scenario and not the worst case, and it was dated August 2019 so the leak was not done by one of the previous ministers as Johnson said.

What has happened to the UK? Why is it allowed or feasible that the government is allowed to spin such lies without any pause or even thought? I shudder to think what will happen if Johnson wins a election, with the right wing cabinet he has installed.
    Philip Hammond tweeted a photo of a letter he has sent to UK PM criticising him for the accusations against former ministers for leaking the original report.

Completely agree. The average voter is not getting it but the issue is an open wound that resulted in brexit.

If immigration had been dealt with this would not have resulted but Merkel opening her arms in 2015 was the straw that broke the camels back. There was no way the wave of migration could be contained in Germany (as Ireland will find to its cost in the coming years) and so the UK people pulled the plug.

The fact that they were wrong and misinformed changes nothing.

This is an issue for Germany. The great many that Merkel accepted to Germany have stayed in Germany. Depending on the way you look at it, this is a humanitarian gesture, or a way of bolstering the workforce in a country with a plummeting birth rate.

These people are not free to travel across the EU, they have refugee status in DE.

I sincerely question how many leave voters are au fait with the story at all.

serfboard wrote: »
    Yes, It's in the interests of the elite to ensure growth is maintained at all costs, even if that means importing people up to and beyond the point that it causes civil unrest. Brexit has become a bit of a safety valve for that built up anger.

But that growth must be maintained to ensure the perpetually growing debt is repaid with interest and "we" (the elite) get our share of the profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

So for example as I was alluding to in my above post, explaining how the EU works.

This is it.

Ghettoisation, is an issue in all countries when the migrant population gets above a certain level, just look to all of the cities in the UK and EU that have districts where a particular ethnic group have caused a "whiter flight" to occur and to be replaced by a "little India( or whatever group)".
    Some of these groups can be quite troublesome to the neighbouring communities or can be almost invisible like the "Chinatowns" where they have almost established a country within a country while avoiding conflict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Call me Al wrote: »
    Philip Hammond tweeted a photo of a letter he has sent to UK PM criticising him for the accusations against former ministers for leaking the original report.

Here is the Phil Hammond tweet.

https://twitter.com/PhilipHammondUK/status/1165539601680916480?s=20

Beth Rigby did an interview with Johnson, the million to one chance for no-deal has disappeared it seems.

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1165577320184385537?s=20

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1165578907682254848?s=20

So a couple of things, one is that he says food shortages are unlikely. That is not ruling it out and seems to me he knows what will happen. Also, as seen in the last tweet, he will not take responsibility for his own actions. It is only the UK that will make no-deal happen and avert it. The EU has done its part to avert it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement