Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭riddles

volchitsa wrote: »
    I won't bother with the rest (you are so egregiously misrepresenting what happened that I don't see the point - you can lead a horse to water and all that). Anyway people have already pointed out problems with your post.

However just on the bit in bold above: while the Thatcherite notion of running a country's economy just like a family's income is intuitively pleasing, it fails on examination - because a family which borrows in order to spend more is always at risk of storing up trouble for itself, since the money spent is lost to that family. Whereas a country which borrows to spend on its economy can get much of that back through increased spending by its citizens. A trickle-up effect if you like, or maybe trickle-around :). (Unlike the trickle-down effect, which has been shown not to work.)

My point being that staying out of debt is not in itself a solution for a country, because an urban family doesn't have the means to invest in its own production.
    For a country, it all depends on how the borrowing is used. All too often (not just in Ireland) it has been exploited by politicians to "buy" popularity and thus votes. That's why the Keynesian view was discredited, not because it was fundamentally mistaken.

“For a country, it all depends on how the borrowing is used. All too often (not just in Ireland) it has been exploited by politicians to "buy" popularity and thus votes”

I think our level of national insolvency confirms this point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

riddles wrote: »
    “For a country, it all depends on how the borrowing is used. All too often (not just in Ireland) it has been exploited by politicians to "buy" popularity and thus votes”

I think our level of national insolvency confirms this point.

There’s probably a good debate to be had about this in a different thread though. Don’t really see how it relates to brexit?

The majority of people in Northern Ireland want the border placed in the sea. This keeps trade going and stops thousands of job losses and business closures.
    The ones against the border in the sea? The DUP. Because somehow it cuts them off from Britain and ruins their British cosplay notions.

When will this bunch of homophobic throwbacks be made to pay for trying to wreck Northern Ireland and the GFA?

https://twitter.com/suntimesireland/status/1162996866109366272

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭riddles

There’s probably a good debate to be had about this in a different thread though. Don’t really see how it relates to brexit?

Our economy is currently in a position of strength. We are still borrowing a lot of money to fund day to day expenditure. A downturn linked to Brexit will be difficult for us to absorb given our level of indebtedness. Is our political system capable of anything other than reaction?

Of course there’s no link between this and Brexit.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Gina Miller's seen legal advice that says that MPs must have a chance to discuss No Deal even if Parliament is prorogued and must be allowed to hold the government to account.

https://twitter.com/robpowellnews/status/1163000083073380353

That would leave the Tories with the option of an election tactic to make No Deal happen and stop Parliament stopping them the better one for them, not that it is a good one for the people of the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,491 ✭✭✭volchitsa

riddles wrote: »
    Our economy is currently in a position of strength. We are still borrowing a lot of money to fund day to day expenditure. A downturn linked to Brexit will be difficult for us to absorb given our level of indebtedness. Is our political system capable of anything other than reaction?

Of course there’s no link between this and Brexit.

We all know that Brexit is a problem for Ireland, nobody denies that. It was Britain's decision and they made it without a second's thought for Ireland's best interests. Which is their right of course, but let's not pretend Ireland's priorities would be any higher up their list tomorrow or on Nov 1st.

As for your attempt to blame Germany for Ireland's financial problems as an explanation for why Ireland should throw its lot in with the U.K. rather than the E.U., well, it beggars belief really.

And we really should get back on topic now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Whats the point of the European Parliament then in your view and as you said this is already the direction it is heading in, so presumably you oppose this?

The power struggle in the EU is between the European Parliament and the Council of Ministers. The biggest supporters of the Council of Ministers retaining power are the UK, Poland and Hungary. Juncker (a former PM of Luxembourg) was selected by the European Parliament and Cameron & Erdogan were the only two European Leaders who opposed his appointment. The Poles and Hungarians in particular do not want the European Parliament to have more power because its full of liberals who tend to object and censure these countries over the rule of law, corruption etc. Erdogan and Kaczyński could veto any such censure at Council level.
    It would be a step in the right direction of having a more functional EU parliament with more principled MEP's, the fact this was blocked previously was a disgrace and the lack of outcry highlights how disengaged Europeans are from the Parliament

The UK packs the European Parliament with self serving members (UKIP/Brexit) whose only interest is disruption. People tend to get the politicians they deserve (by voting for them). How could anyone elect Ann Widdecombe to anything is just beyond me. Compare her to Marian Harkin, Mairead McGuinness or Guy Verhofstad.

Balls to that its not like current commissioners tend to be the cream of the crop in being experts tends to be a patronage appointment, your making an argument against democracy as a whole there, in many countries ministers are selected from politicians who have stood in election and that functions as a system.

Thats a load of waffle. Any country with any sense sends their best people to the Commission. Are you trying to say that appointing Peter Sutherland to EU commissioner was some sort of a patronage thing? Or perhaps Chris Patten. These are substantial people.

Go to google there is plenty of good analysis of the flaws of CAP and you know it if your as interested in the EU as you say.

There are plenty of flaws with CAP, but it is reformed every couple of years. The only countries which seems to have a difficulty with CAP are those with little agriculture who are dependent on food imports (i.e., England who would prefer a lot more EU money going into Science research etc).

Ok a couple of things, Germany actually has low investment in infrastructure and its causing issues, again something you would know if your as knowledgeable as you say, in fact with its current slow down there is talk of using badly needed infrastructure projects as an stimulus package.

All those surpluses over the last few years (supposedly breaking EU law) will come in very handy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The majority of people in Northern Ireland want the border placed in the sea. This keeps trade going and stops thousands of job losses and business closures.
    The ones against the border in the sea? The DUP. Because somehow it cuts them off from Britain and ruins their British cosplay notions.

When will this bunch of homophobic throwbacks be made to pay for trying to wreck Northern Ireland and the GFA?

They don't want to be treated any differently from the rest of the U.K...which is tragic because the rest of the U.K would consider them Irish, and not British. :rolleyes:

Gintonious wrote: »
    They don't want to be treated any differently from the rest of the U.K...which is tragic because the rest of the U.K would consider them Irish, and not British. :rolleyes:

Oh I’m we’ll aware of that, they take their british cosplay intensely seriously.
    However, the majority of people in the north seem to be normal and rational and pragmatic (in a bit of a shock to myself I have to say) so how is it the DUP are ignoring their own base and farmers and industry and insisting on this nonsense?
    They arent listening to or representing their own people. It’ll never cease to amaze me unless and until they’re taken down at the next election

Barclay has signed that law that removes the EU rules come October 31st.
    This is just showboat theatrics though right? To show the Eu they really mean it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Oh I’m we’ll aware of that, they take their british cosplay intensely seriously.
    However, the majority of people in the north seem to be normal and rational and pragmatic (in a bit of a shock to myself I have to say) so how is it the DUP are ignoring their own base and farmers and industry and insisting on this nonsense?
    They arent listening to or representing their own people. It’ll never cease to amaze me unless and until they’re taken down at the next election

The DUP only have a very narrow agenda to keep to. They were effectively against peace in the North, against any form of progression on civil rights (I can imagine the meetings they are going to have in relation to abortion and gay marriage). Not only that, but they landed themselves in a very nice position in Westminster when May came calling to get their help to form a government.

They aren't even in touch with their own base because they are permanently stuck in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭briany

A border in the Irish sea would cut NI off from Britain, if only symbolically. But, y'know, symbols are big up that way.

I think we need to look a little bit more analytically at the pros and cons of a sea border vs. a land border because if an NI Unionist looks at this thread, the conclusion they'll draw is that we're saying 'land border=bad, sea border=good', rather than saying, in a more detached way, the reasons why one is better than the other.

We can say that a land border contravenes the GFA for the Nationalists. They can say a sea border contravenes it for the Unionists. We can say a land border would be bad for all-Ireland trade. They can say a sea border would be very bad for trade with the UK mainland. Round and around we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

jm08 wrote: »
    The power struggle in the EU is between the European Parliament and the Council of Ministers. The biggest supporters of the Council of Ministers retaining power are the UK, Poland and Hungary. Juncker (a former PM of Luxembourg) was selected by the European Parliament and Cameron & Erdogan were the only two European Leaders who opposed his appointment. The Poles and Hungarians in particular do not want the European Parliament to have more power because its full of liberals who tend to object and censure these countries over the rule of law, corruption etc. Erdogan and Kaczyński could veto any such censure at Council level.

You mean Victor Orban, not Recep Erdogan. The latter is president of Turkey which has no say in who is president of the European Commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Calina wrote: »
    You mean Victor Orban, not Recep Erdogan. The latter is president of Turkey which has no say in who is president of the European Commission.

Orban is the person I meant. Thanks for spotting that.

briany wrote: »
    A border in the Irish sea would cut NI off from Britain, if only symbolically. But, y'know, symbols are big up that way.

I think we need to look a little bit more analytically at the pros and cons of a sea border vs. a land border because if an NI Unionist looks at this thread, the conclusion they'll draw is that we're saying 'land border=bad, sea border=good', rather than saying, in a more detached way, the reasons why one is better than the other.

We can say that a land border contravenes the GFA for the Nationalists. They can say a sea border contravenes it for the Unionists. We can say a land border would be bad for all-Ireland trade. They can say a sea border would be very bad for trade with the UK mainland. Round and around we go.

Brilliant point.
    It sort of goes a good way to explain their mouthpieces like foster and Wilson saying it’s dublin tearing up the GFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Experience_day

Barclay has signed that law that removes the EU rules come October 31st.
    This is just showboat theatrics though right? To show the Eu they really mean it.

Doesn't really mean anything until they actually leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

Brilliant point.
    It sort of goes a good way to explain their mouthpieces like foster and Wilson saying it’s dublin tearing up the GFA.

End of the day though this decision on a border is faced entirely on the outcome of another decision made solely by the UK.

If a border has to go somewhere - which it does - then they can't say "No, sovereignty!" when objecting to a sea border but complain when ROI shouts "No, sovereignty!" in return for the land border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Of course the mods will forgive you don't worry about that your on their side of the argument and I am at most quasi- Eurosceptic.

As someone who often gets to straddle both sides in quite a few Politics forum arguments, and has occasionally ventured onto the more euro-sceptic position in this debate, I'm not sure moderation is the biggest hurdle that such posters face.

There seems to be something of a pattern among what we might call the pro-Brexit posters in this debate which goes something like this; show up to the thread with the usual UKIP/Brexit party slogans and cliches, proceed to get called out by other posters and asked to elucidate their point on a more substantial level, either make a piss-poor attempt to defend their previous positions and/or stick religiously to the kind of cliche/vapid point they initially made, fall back on vague truisms or the blindingly obvious when pressed further (sure don't we all want a kinder/better governance), plead persecution when noone is taken in by their wet-paper arguments, devolve into an ad-hominen back and forth and then finally claim persecution and bias on the part of the mods when their behaviour is reprimanded.

As someone who came to this forum initially to make a very unpopular argument, more or less without any other poster's support, I have very little time for people claiming bias and persecution when they take on a very difficult argument and then decide to screw it up and get into flame wars. It's really not hard; stick to the substantial points of contention, content yourself with factual and plausible assertions, do not feel the need to respond to posts/comments that you feel fall beneath the mark (there is a rather helpful report function).

I actually got to thinking about this when I was pondering back over the body of Brexiteer arguments as expressed through things like Question Time. It is quite staggering to think about the utter lack of substantial data and evidence to support a move like the UK leaving the European Union. Again and again during the debate, vivid but vapid cliches about how 'French Vintners' and 'German Car Manufacturers' were going to ensure a free-trade deal, or how the majority of the worlds growth was outside the EU, or the atleast true but largely irrelevant claim of how significant the UK's economy is/was, were served up as though they constituted some enormous compelling body of evidence. And the cherry on the cake has been to see these arguments abandoned one by one with barely a whimper of protest, to the point that now the argument for going through with Brexit is that 'well of course people voted for it' - like an execution going ahead because 'well the jury voted for it' when it turns out the primary witness was a serial liar, the evidence was completely fabricated and victim who was supposed to have been cut into a thousand pieces turns out to be alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

volchitsa wrote: »
    As for your attempt to blame Germany for Ireland's financial problems as an explanation for why Ireland should throw its lot in with the U.K. rather than the E.U., well, it beggars belief really.

And we really should get back on topic now. :D
    Actually, it's not completely OT. All europhobes fascists, crackpots, populists etc in the whole Europe, from Ireland, through UK, France, to Italy, Poland and Hungary have one thing in common - German bashing. It's also distinctive feature in the Brexiteers narrative. The reason is very simple - Russian disinformation and leverage of nascent anti-German sentiments, they're really good at it. They will never get over German unification and how successful Germany ended up after them defeating them in the Ww2 and occupying quarter of the German territory for 40 years. They're definitely behind this. Follow the Russians, Cambridge Analytica, LeaveEU, Trump - they are involved in all this.
    No conspiracy theory, this is a fact confirmed by investigative journalists and intelligence agencies (esp. in the Eastern part of the EU).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The border required by the exit of the UK from the EU can be considered in a few ways.

Assume the UK exits the EU SM and CU, which means that there must be a hard border somewhere between GB and Ireland, depending on the status of NI with respect to the SM and CU.

1. If the current checks at Larne and Belfast for agriculture products are maintained (and tightened up), and NI continues to maintain an all Ireland agriculture regime, them the current milk and meat regime can continue. That means milk lorries can continue to collect milk from both sides of the border, and pigs anfd lambs can continue to crisscross the border as of now. So everyone wins and no-one loses. That requires NI to remain in the CU and SM for agriculture. Not really a biggie for anyone in NI if it allows farming to continue as of now.

2. If exports from NI to GB can continue unhindered through either Dublin or Belfast, again no-one loses, so everyone wins. Sixty percent of those exports currently pass through Dublin.

3. If imports from GB into NI only go through Dublin, then all inspections required are done in Dublin Port. Goods destined for NI would require inspection that they comply with SM and CU as much as necessary to comply with the GFA. Now that means imports cannot go through Larne or Belfast, unless inspected as per Dublin. Now that is not a biggie.

Now all that remains is the VAT regime. Currently, if goods are purchased in NI for export to Ireland VAT is paid in NI, or for registered traders, is paid in Ireland and reported on the VAT return. If the UK are out of the EU, that changes, and all taxpayers can claim VAT back on export, but if a personal export, will not be required to declare it on import (unless it exceeds a value).

The NI and Irish VAT systems have to remain in close couple to prevent VAT fraud, and keep rules closely coupled with information flowing to keep traders honest.

All in all, not a huge problem compared to a land border on or near the invisible border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

jm08 wrote: »
    Calina wrote: »

Orban is the person I meant. Thanks for spotting that.

Aye, thanks for the clarification....Sunday mornings aren't my best thinking time, so the aul noggin was hurting trying to work out how Erdogan could veto anything!

Gintonious wrote: »
    Most people in the rest of the UK already considers them as Irish alresdy, so no change there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭briany

Most people in the rest of the UK already considers them as Irish alresdy, so no change there.

I could imagine a London barstooler characterising the conflict as "Paddies fighting other Paddies over who's a Paddy."

I could imagine a London barstooler characterising the conflict as "Paddies fighting other Paddies over who's a Paddy."
    Yep! That's why most people in the UK don't care about NI, it's only because of the Unionists propping up the current government that it has become an issue. A majority government would have probably accepted the border in the Irish sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

3. If imports from GB into NI only go through Dublin, then all inspections required are done in Dublin Port. Goods destined for NI would require inspection that they comply with SM and CU as much as necessary to comply with the GFA. Now that means imports cannot go through Larne or Belfast, unless inspected as per Dublin. Now that is not a biggie.

This most certainly is a biggie.

Now all that remains is the VAT regime. Currently, if goods are purchased in NI for export to Ireland VAT is paid in NI, or for registered traders, is paid in Ireland and reported on the VAT return. If the UK are out of the EU, that changes, and all taxpayers can claim VAT back on export, but if a personal export, will not be required to declare it on import (unless it exceeds a value).

The NI and Irish VAT systems have to remain in close couple to prevent VAT fraud, and keep rules closely coupled with information flowing to keep traders honest.

All in all, not a huge problem compared to a land border on or near the invisible border.

NI would need a seperate VAT territory and would probably need to be in, or effecively in, the EU VAT union. That is OK until GB decides to change their VAT rates or abolish VAT altogether.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

NI would need a seperate VAT territory and would probably need to be in, or effecively in, the EU VAT union. That is OK until GB decides to change their VAT rates or abolish VAT altogether.

I thought NI was a separate VAT territory currently. Perhaps I am wrong.

It would obviously need to be so if it is not currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭brickster69

Sectoral trade deals are not permitted under... Wait for it... GATT 24

Oh the irony.

Is that why the EU are only negotiating a FTA on industrial and mechanical goods with the US at the moment ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Is that why the EU are only negotiating a FTA on industrial and mechanical goods with the US at the moment ?

I admire anyone with your level of devotion but if I could ask, can you outline any benefits or positive outcomes for the average Briton post brexit?

Even one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

fash wrote: »
    it's no "translation error" nor "EU speech" - it is a legal word.

For example, an arbitration happens because of a clause in a contract. There has to be a dividing line between what disputes can be decided by the arbitrator and what cannot. The arbitrator gets to decide most of his limits - called the "competence-competence"
    However that is still a very specialist meaning that again doesn't imply ability or competence in the normal sense of the word. I think a better word for "competence" as the EU use it would be remit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

I believe we will see Johnson's plan unfold this week. On Wednesday and Thursday he meets with the two 'real' leaders of the EU. This is where he believes he will get movement from the EU and it has been the plan all along. This is the last minute EU blinking scenario talked about so often. My own belief is that they will give him nothing, but that this is the week when everything crystallises.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement