Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,341 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I believe that c 60% of what we see in our supermarkets is either supplied through UK distributors or is ported through the UK via the land bridge route.

Our trade links with the UK are historic in extent, been our modus operandi since whenever. Changes in this are going to hit household budgets here, no escape from that and yes retailers will take advantage where they can. That's business.

Whether we like it or not, a metaphor for our relationship with the UK is that of the younger sibling. It's difficult to escape that relationship particularly when we can't just up and move the island elsewhere.

We trade far less with the UK than we do Europe and the World as a whole. Our access to the Single Market and integration to the EU is far more important to the economy than our direct links to England. Indeed, we continue to decouple our relationship with the UK with only 11% of our exports going there and falling all the time.

Brexit is a British concept, devised and implemented in Britain and requiring British decisions and solutions. We can’t control it or prevent it, and it isn’t up to us to denigrate our sovereignty or economic opportunity to smooth over Britain’s difficulties caused by it which is what you are presumably suggesting we should do.

We stay the course we’re on and we’ll leverage EU support once No Deal happens to navigate our way forward.

FYI: actual info on our trading relationship with the UK can be found here:

https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/othercsopublications/brexit-irelandandtheukinnumbers/

It is a clear indicator that our focus should be on the EU / Single Market, not the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I believe that c 60% of what we see in our supermarkets is either supplied through UK distributors or is ported through the UK via the land bridge route.

Our trade links with the UK are historic in extent, been our modus operandi since whenever. Changes in this are going to hit household budgets here, no escape from that and yes retailers will take advantage where they can. That's business.

Whether we like it or not, a metaphor for our relationship with the UK is that of the younger sibling. It's difficult to escape that relationship particularly when we can't just up and move the island elsewhere.

Well firstly many of the supermarkets and retailers have been working on creating new relationships with EU distributors since the referendum, not to mention the several new shipping routes already running with more in the pipeline to help with the supply chain side of things.

Secondly we are literally rated 1st for food security in the world. We produce enough food to feed 34 million people, the Uk only produces enough food to feed about 60 % of its population so empty shelves and shortages is not gonna ever be a thing for us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Boris does that, and he will comfortable win the election due to the dreadfulness of Corbyn.

That's what May thought too and look where it got her.

In truth, I think our fate lies in the hands of the more reasonable Tories. Come September and we'll see what they're prepared to do to undermine Boris's exit strategy, even at the cost of their own careers. Not a great position to be in.

Our position is just as dishonest as the Brits. They want to leave the EU but enjoy the benefits of trade with the EU. We want to stay in the EU but continue to enjoy the benefits of trade with the UK.

Both positions are impossible and that's why we hear our government leaders waffling whenever they are challenged as to what will happen with the border if the UK leave without a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mattyff

no deal looks likely now..no way Europe is going to not have backstop

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

In truth, I think our fate lies in the hands of the more reasonable Tories. Come September and we'll see what they're prepared to do to undermine Boris's exit strategy, even at the cost of their own careers. Not a great position to be in.

Our position is just as dishonest as the Brits. They want to leave the EU but enjoy the benefits of trade with the EU. We want to stay in the EU but continue to enjoy the benefits of trade with the UK.

Both positions are impossible and that's why we hear our government leaders waffling whenever they are challenged as to what will happen with the border if the UK leave without a deal.

Stop reading the express and telegraph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

''Our position is just as dishonest as the Brits. They want to leave the EU but enjoy the benefits of trade with the EU. We want to stay in the EU but continue to enjoy the benefits of trade with the UK''.

thats not our position, our position is we expect the UK to honor their commitments under the Good friday Agreement, an international treaty to which they are a signatory.
    an agreement that is the corner stone to peace on this Island. there are many many people walking around Ireland and the UK today who would be dead if it were not for that treaty. maybe i'm one of them? maybe you are too?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I'm a bit worried that all this focus on the backstop is going to damage FDI into Ireland. I spent Sunday explaining to a US guy and someone from Asia, both quite senior in a multinationals but relatively light on political knowledge, that Ireland is extremely unlikely to slide out of the EU.

They're hearing the British rumors that Ireland might leave the customs union to facilitate the frictionless border with the UK to avoid Northern Ireland issues and they're unsure whether or not to take them seriously.

A lot of these companies already feel they've been very badly burnt by the UK's domestic political insanity, which they underestimated, and they're becoming very conservative about investment decisions, especially in the light of Trump's war tendencies causing global instability.

The Irish Government needs to be very, very, very careful about combating those kinds of rumors as they are getting picked up and it'll drive potential investment to the continent or cause hesitation at the very least.

Large portion of Senior Execs in the top Multinationals in Europe and HQ'd out of Ireland are Irish, So i find this position not something that is widespread. You may have just been speaking to someone who doesnt know whats going on past his own front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

listermint wrote: »
    Large portion of Senior Execs in the top Multinationals in Europe and HQ'd out of Ireland are Irish, So i find this position not something that is widespread. You may have just been speaking to someone who doesnt know whats going on past his own front door.

Id also think that any FDI is undertaken with a lot more diligence than just an opinion.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mattyff wrote: »
    The EU was never going to renege on the backstop if the UK red lines remained. Why would the EU change their mind for a troublesome member as they leave the union?

No, we can't move the island, but being an island, we can move the supply chains.

Yes no doubt, but at what cost? Both in terms of transport but also time for perishable goods and so on?
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    We trade far less with the UK than we do Europe and the World as a whole. Our access to the Single Market and integration to the EU is far more important to the economy than our direct links to England.

I have no doubt that we do trade more with the EU and rest of the world compared to the UK. But what is the nature of that trade is the question? Is it the sort of trade that involves food and goods that most ordinary people need for everyday life? Or is it financial services, profit shifting, intellectual property rights, pharmaceuticals and so on?
    VinLieger wrote: »
    Secondly we are literally rated 1st for food security in the world. We produce enough food to feed 34 million people, the Uk only produces enough food to feed about 60 % of its population so empty shelves and shortages is not gonna ever be a thing for us

?? Are we all to live on baby formula? That's what we largely produce food wise - milk and dairy products. Our horticultural industry has declined over recent decades. Milk is what we largely make and cattle to eat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

mattyff wrote: »

Money makes the world go round. At the end of the day the EU don't give a toss about Ireland. They'll do what's best for the big boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Money makes the world go round. At the end of the day the EU don't give a toss about Ireland. They'll do what's best for the big boys.

The EU again as the big dark sinister organisation that is distinct from us. WE ARE THE EU.

Please stop with the unhelpful tin foil hat stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

European solidarity and protecting the integrity of the single market is what is best for the big boys. If the EU was going to throw Ireland under the bus in all this, they would have done so by now. It's just not going to happen.

farmchoice wrote: »
    thats not our position, our position is we expect the UK to honor their commitments under the Good friday Agreement, an international treaty to which they are a signatory.

I'm inclined to disagree - we were smart, we got our foot in the door first and worked the withdrawal agreement so as to use the Good Friday Agreement to help maintain the open borders that we aspire to with the UK. It was a good tactic as long as the British government were happy to work towards a soft Brexit. It's not so smart if the lunatics have taken hold of the asylum and are prepared to get out at any cost. Because we're taking proportionately a significantly bigger hit than our EU friends. And no I don't read the English trash papers - just try and look at the situation sensibly.

Mind you, I don't think we can back out of that position now without losing a lot of face. We've burnt our bridges and have to to trust in the interests of 'strangers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Yes no doubt, but at what cost? Both in terms of transport but also time for perishable goods and so on?

I have no doubt that we do trade more with the EU and rest of the world compared to the UK. But what is the nature of that trade is the question? Is it the sort of trade that involves food and goods that most ordinary people need for everyday life? Or is it financial services, profit shifting, intellectual property rights, pharmaceuticals and so on?

?? Are we all to live on baby formula? That's what we largely produce food wise - milk and dairy products. Our horticultural industry has declined over recent decades. Milk is what we largely make and cattle to eat.

Re-routing supply chains to by-pass the UK is fairly straightforward. We already have numerous direct routes that can be furthered expanded. There may be some disruption while suppliers adjust but stuff will get here.

Replacing stuff that originates in the UK will be more complicated but retailers have an intense dislike of empty shelves.

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Fascinating article here in FT arguing that Liverpool is less eurosceptic than other parts of Northern England due to the longstanding boycott of the Sun.

https://www.ft.com/content/ffdb6e8c-c5c8-11e9-a8e9-296ca66511c9

It doesn't mention that Manchester just up the road without a boycott was even more strongly pro-Remain though.

Food prices may rise, but I don't think there is any credible danger of food shortages here, we can bypass the UK as necessary. It may involve greater costs to do so, and that cost will be passed on to the consumer, but that will be the extent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Dytalus

Pharmaceuticals are by far our most valuable export.
    The largest category of exports was Medical and pharmaceutical products. Exports of these goods accounted for a third (33%) of all exports,
    Source.

Most of that goes to Belgium as I understand it, who is our largest export partner within the EU (Germany comes second) and with whom a new shipping route has been developed using the world's largest RoRo ship.

Mind you, I don't think we can back out of that position now without losing a lot of face. We've burnt our bridges and have to to trust in the interests of 'strangers'.

Which strangers are these? Enough of the criptic waffel, talk plainly and say what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There is very little appreciable difference in time between RoRo shipping via sea routes and the landbridge. The landbridge is convenient, but it also raises issues with tachographs if there are any delays. Sea shipping routes range between 16 hours and 36 hours. Cost differentilas are negligible and sometimes cheaper since you're not paying a driver to accompany a load.
    Are you talking about exports or imports. It's hard to know from what you're saying. If you want to know, the figures for June 2019 from the CSO are here.
    Well (from the figures I linked above) we exported €24 million worth of fruit and vegetables in June. So we must be producing something other than dairy and beef. Plus €44 million of fish and €40 million of cereals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The EU again as the big dark sinister organisation that is distinct from us. WE ARE THE EU.

Please stop with the unhelpful tin foil hat stuff.

100% : I've seen Brexiteers in comments sections describe the EU as a "foreign power" trying to subjugate the UK. They actually believe the EU = Nazi Germany or Soviet Union stuff.

If you are an EU citizen and don't object to its existence, you are the EU. Every person across the continent is part of the union.

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    European solidarity and protecting the integrity of the single market is what is best for the big boys. If the EU was going to throw Ireland under the bus in all this, they would have done so by now. It's just not going to happen.

They don't need to throw us under the bus! We're lying down on the road and the bus has just turned the corner and is headed our way! :)
    First Up wrote: »
    Re-routing supply chains to by-pass the UK is fairly straightforward. We already have numerous direct routes that can be furthered expanded. There may be some disruption while suppliers adjust but stuff will get here.

Replacing stuff that originates in the UK will be more complicated but retailers have an intense dislike of empty shelves.

OK, but again Irish consumers will surely expect increases in their cost of living. It always costs more when you live on an island, whether that's us off on the western edge of Europe or some offshore island of our own. Just a fact of trade, small markets, transport.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Aah would you stop with the nonsense. This rubbish pops up every other day and is quickly shown to be the nonsense it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I'm inclined to disagree - we were smart, we got our foot in the door first and worked the withdrawal agreement so as to use the Good Friday Agreement to help maintain the open borders that we aspire to with the UK. It was a good tactic as long as the British government were happy to work towards a soft Brexit. It's not so smart if the lunatics have taken hold of the asylum and are prepared to get out at any cost. Because we're taking proportionately a significantly bigger hit than our EU friends. And no I don't read the English trash papers - just try and look at the situation sensibly.

So what is the alternative? What should Ireland have done?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Leo et al went all in from the get go. The UK will leave without a deal and we will be worse off. Ireland have more in common with the UK then any other nation, but we are treating them like they are from the other side of the world.

We could of agreed a deal between the two governments due to the northern Ireland situation.

Instead the government and the EU are trying to stop Brexit by all means.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

You seem to have missed the step in the negotiations where we were quite happy (as was the EU generally) to have the backstop in the Irish Sea. In other words an open border with NI only. For the obvious reasons. It was the UK that wanted to expand that to the UK as a whole, to which the EU reluctantly agreed. So you're starting from a misconception and running off down the wrong road with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Limpy wrote: »
    Leo et al went all in from the get go. The UK will leave without a deal and we will be worse off. Ireland have more in common with the UK then any other nation, but we are treating them like they are from the other side of the world.

We could of agreed a deal between the two governments due to the northern Ireland situation.

Instead the government and the EU are trying to stop Brexit by all means.

So your position is that to protect the continually decreasing importance UK market to our overall we should have ditched our membership of the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭briany

Brilliant video by I'm Incorrigible on Youtube this week where he shows Farage saying that he believed that the UK would end up with a Norway-style deal, which was *not* what the people of the UK voted for. Then, he cuts immediately to Farage before the referendum, repeatedly saying how good a Norway-style deal would be for the UK.

The man's a craven liar. Talking out both sides of his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭storker

Please be specific...who exactly are the big boys for whom the EU would shaft Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 dancingwith

Funny how some people are blaming the EU for trying to block Brexit when its the British parliament that's actually being blocking it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement