Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

Sarcastic answers aside, it will be no bed of roses. But we know that and we are better than the idiot brigade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

That is in a worst case scenario isn't it ? Even though the WA is dead, some magic solution will crop up.

I don't believe in magic, and I certainly don't believe Borris and his Brexiter palls, they are proven liars. If the UK chooses to go through with a no-deal Brexit then in the absence of the backstop both sides will have no option but to implement border checks. Hopefully the damage to the UK from their folly will be so harmful to them that they are swiftly forced back to the table to do a deal which re-opens the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭brickster69

Yes we are all screwed. The Eu will go into a massive recession and cease to exist within 5 years.

The first point is a certainty but doubtful of the second.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ireland has no preparations. They are totally reliant on the EU as to what is going to happen. Otherwise they would have produced impact reports and so on, but they do not want to scare the public.
    You mean like this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭ThePanjandrum

Banned.

• Advertisement

Yes, thank you.
    I doubt it. You seem to have trouble reading headlines in tweets. When it suits your argument. So I think I'll take any statement you make without supporting links as pure BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭brickster69

prawnsambo wrote: »

That's from Denmark FFS. where is Ireland's ? They have not done one have they ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

The headline linked in that tweet literally says: English police could patrol Northern Ireland border

Yes, I'm sorry, you are correct. In the Sunday Times it appears at the head of the article just under the picture of the Gardai looking over into Northern Ireland and the caption
    Irish officers patrol the border, but forces from other parts of the UK are on standby

Obviously the Sunday Times thinks your police need help from the UK.

Incidentally, it also appears under the heading "The Yellowhammer Report" which, as I've said is fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

That's from Denmark FFS. where is Ireland's ? They have not done one have they ?

Page 3, ‘this report was prepared for the Irish government’

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

bobmalooka wrote: »
    Page 3, ‘this report was prepared for the Irish government’

It was also written without any substantial input from any organisations not aligned with the EU. No input from the WTO or outside bodies apart from the American Chambers of Commerce.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

So, its impartial. It was commissioned by:

''The Department of Business, Enterprise & Innovation (DBEI) has requested an analysis of the strategic implications arising from changes in EU-UK trading and investment patterns after Brexit''

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If Ireland is ready or is not ready will that make any difference to how the UK will act in the next 60 odd days?

It seems that some posters on here, and certain commentators in the media seem to spend an inordinate amount of time on questioning Irish preparations yet seem totally au fait with the UK publishing their own reports.

I doubt it. You seem to have trouble reading headlines in tweets. When it suits your argument. So I think I'll take any statement you make without supporting links as pure BS.

You wanted the links, sorry, I thought that they were so obvious you didn't need to ask.

Operation Yellowhammer stood down

https://www.civilserviceworld.com/articles/news/operation-yellowhammer-planning-no-deal-brexit-stood-down

Gibraltese Government says that the report is an old one

https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/press-releases/sunday-times-yellow-hammer-report-out-of-date-wrong-on-gibraltar-6032019-5197

Thanks for your anticipated apology.

Apologies. Linked the wrong document (which was on the DBEI website), so not a cardinal error. You can go there yourself.

Or from the DFA

Did you really think there were no publications on the subject? There have been radio ads for years about the different preparations and assistance to businesses. Far better than the UK are doing. Even grants for businesses to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Thread is gone to the dogs of late, there really should be post count threshold on posters posting in the politics forum tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Yes we are all screwed. The Eu will go into a massive recession and cease to exist within 5 years. We will then have to run back to the UK with our tails between our legs asking for forgiveness.

Care to provide any evidence at all of that? Forum charter states you have to provide evidence when making a claim.

You wanted the links, sorry, I thought that they were so obvious you didn't need to ask.

https://www.civilserviceworld.com/articles/news/operation-yellowhammer-planning-no-deal-brexit-stood-down

https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/press-releases/sunday-times-yellow-hammer-report-out-of-date-wrong-on-gibraltar-6032019-5197

Why would I apologise? I asked for links and you came back with a smart one-liner. Which is pretty much below the expected standard here.

Edit: And I see this bit in the link:
    The government has stood down Operation Yellowhammer, its contingency planning operation for dealing with the worst-case scenarios resulting from a no-deal Brexit, following the postponement of the UK’s exit from the EU.
    So are you saying it hasn't been stood back up again? Because that would seem to be extremely stupid seeing as no-deal is back to frighten the EU or something.

Care to comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

TM did stand it down once she was given the 31st Oct extension.

You may have missed it but one of Johnsons 1st acts as PM was to restart and redouble all No Deal preparations.

Hammond stated that this report was an August report.

But even if it's from April, do you really think it will all be sorted in a few weeks? What actions, in particular, has the government taken to negate the expected effects of No Deal?

And why hasn't Johnson set out a report showing the full expected effects of his policy to opt for No Deal?

What are the comparisons between the outcome of No Deal vs WA? Has Johnson published that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ireland has no preparations. They are totally reliant on the EU as to what is going to happen. Otherwise they would have produced impact reports and so on, but they do not want to scare the public.
    The impact report was published in November 2015.

https://www.esri.ie/news/new-report-on-the-economic-consequences-of-brexit-for-ireland

Headshot wrote: »
    Thread is gone to the dogs of late, there really should be post count threshold on posters posting in the politics forum tbh

If you mean me, I've posted fewer than one post a day, your own total over the past 15 years is far higher although that's probably over a wide range of topics..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

It was also written without any substantial input from any organisations not aligned with the EU. No input from the WTO or outside bodies apart from the American Chambers of Commerce.

Cool, so is it project fear or project cover up?

Coveney especially has been clear on this repeatedly. You don’t show your opponents your homework. You don’t reveal your plans so a toxic media in the uk can use it against you.
    The government here is acting perfectly within its bounds to protect Irish businesses and interests and has the backing of the Eu. You don’t like it. Tough cookies. We’re far better prepared for every outcome than Britain’s government and broken society it is. Sorry but its true.

Headshot wrote: »

Couldn’t agree more. I got banned for saying you’re taking the p*ss to someone.
    Yet the obvious interference is allowed run free with the demonstrably fake news and telegraph nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Coveney especially has been clear on this repeatedly. You don’t show your opponents your homework. You don’t reveal your plans so a toxic media in the uk can use it against you.
    The government here is acting perfectly within its bounds to protect Irish businesses and interests and has the backing of the Eu. You don’t like it. Tough cookies. We’re far better prepared for every outcome than Britain’s government and broken society it is. Sorry but its true.

In the Uk (england) happy positive thoughts and belief in the British empire will mitigate any Brexit negatives. No need to worry about little things like tariffs and regulatory alignments they sort themselves out :rolleyes:

Leroy42 wrote: »

You may have missed it but one of Johnsons 1st acts as PM was to restart and redouble all No Deal preparations.

Hammond stated that this report was an August report.

I know that Johnson restarted planning for if the UK left without a Withdrawal Agreement but I have not seen that this planning is still called Operation Yellowhammer.

Hammond did not actually say that it was an August report, he said that it bore and August date. He said this because many people think that he and his cronies leaked it.

Hence the Gibraltar evidence. The Gibraltese Government would like to stay in the EU, nevertheless, they took a look at it, so that it was an old one (not August at all) and went on record with their finding.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Yellowhammer was stood down in April 2019 by May (and her cronies including Hammond). The leaked documents were dated August 2019 which was obviously false. The Gibraltese Government has confirmed that it was an old document.
    Other posters have posted links that show the leaks were of recent documents.

The Gibraltar govt only referred to bits of Yellowhammer relating to them. And I can easily believe that the current incarnation of HMG has ignored them since.

Also not relevant to other 99.9% of the UK population.

road_high wrote: »
    In the Uk (england) happy positive thoughts and belief in the British empire will mitigate any Brexit negatives. No need to worry about little things like tariffs and regulatory alignments they sort themselves out :rolleyes:

Seems to be the case. Unicorns and bulldog spirit are neither of them edible. Nor do they fix cancer.
    Two of the biggest right up front issues only today surgeons in the UK spoke about not being able to get treatments for cancer patients post brexit.
    The food situation we all know all quite quickly develop into rioting

Other posters have posted links that show the leaks were of recent documents.

The Gibraltar govt only referred to bits of Yellowhammer relating to them. And I can easily believe that the current incarnation of HMG has ignored them since.

Also not relevant to other 99.9% of the UK population.

Yes, the Gibraltese Government said that the parts of the report about Gibtaltar were old, those references were the ones that concerned them.

So now you put forward the strawman that the report must have been written in August 2019 because that was the date of it, but the author of the report just copied and pasted the sections about Gibraltar without checking with their Government that these remarks were still valid and the Gibraltese representatives never noticed it when the report was circulated before a siupposed meeting. However, the autor did not copy and paste the rest but included accurate and updated information.

I think that your explanation lacks credibility but you might have a career writing children's fantasy stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Seems to be the case. Unicorns and bulldog spirit are neither of them edible. Nor do they fix cancer.
    Two of the biggest right up front issues only today surgeons in the UK spoke about not being able to get treatments for cancer patients post brexit.
    The food situation we all know all quite quickly develop into rioting

Brexit is a cult centred around a deluded sense of national importance and wharped view of history bearing no relation to any economic realities or how the world trades these days- which I think if they want to crash out under WTO then let them at it at this stage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,620 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The Yellowhammer report was dated August 1st (confirmed by a Downing Street spokesman)

If the info on Gibraltar was wrong, it simply means that small section of the report was out of date

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement