Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

robinph wrote: »
    Surely everyone on both sides now knows that the £350 million bus was a lie, but when a leaver throws the line back at you that "both sides lied" what are they actually referring to?

What lies about the EU are they claiming the remain campaign was making?
    Well the earliest incarnation of this was the 'lies' enshrined in all aspects of 'project fear'. Y'know, we haven't lost loads of jobs and the pound hasn't... eh... the house prices haven't... eh... etc.

Lately, I'm not sure, but the obvious answer to all this is everybody knew what remaining in the EU meant. Whatever lies they think they heard, nothing changes that fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't think Johnson is stupid enough to think that he can actually prorogue Parliament. Cummings might be sufficiently arrogant but the few consistent things that have shone through Johnson’s career as his concern for his own well-being and his legacy. Cummings comes across as wanting to take a sledgehammer to the entire Westminster edifice. I don’t think Johnson is a fool. Deeply flawed but not a fool. He knows that a no deal Brexit come Hallowe’en destroys both his party and the UK as a geopolitical union. I think he is trying to goat Parliament into giving him an out to request an extension so he can call a GE with his aim being to increase his majority. I can’t see the EU, especially Macron facilitating this for anything less.

This is exactly what the article was about comparing Varoufakis to Cummings. At the end will Cummings suffer the same fate when politics collides with his vision of the UK leaving the EU? He doesn't really have to worry about the political consequences or realities of the decisions he stands for, so will those he stands behind be so cavalier as he seems to be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Following that readout it's hard to see where the guardian/no 10 is getting that the EU is potentially softening on the withdrawal agreement

There seems to be something in the water nationally in the UK the last few years.
    You could easily point to a potential doctor who storyline where an far advanced civilization that were microbes invaded Britain with a view to world takeover but it wouldn’t be as bizarre and fictitious as the current reality.
    We’re dealing with cult hysteria and visions now when it comes to them including formerly sensible voices and minds in their media.
    It’s anyones guess what’s going on and who is really behind it and why and how they’re planning to benefit from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Worth a read through this thread to understand exactly how; at the granular level, not having NI in the backstop would mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Boris Johnson to meet Leo Varadkar in Dublin early next week according to the Guardian.

• Advertisement

Farage is just waiting for the day when he can hold a full Nuremburg style rally. Maybe not too far off

He already did today in many ways. Did you see his press conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,282 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Worth a read through this thread to understand exactly how; at the granular level, not having NI in the backstop would mean.

wow when you see it in black and white it just amazing how the DUP are ****ing up their country

Worth remembering for anyone doubting things and posting the usual scare stories

The EU has archived all of the "Euromyths" printed in UK media - and it makes for some disturbing reading

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/the-eu-have-archived-all-of-the-euromyths-printed-in-uk-media-and-it-makes-for-some-disturbing-reading/14/11/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Headshot wrote: »
    wow when you see it in black and white it just amazing how the DUP are ****ing up their country

"Our" country

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They can. Parliament is sovereign in the UK. Not the PM, the people or the government. Parliament.
    And most certainly not a referendum that couldn't be challenged properly because it was only advisory.
    Is the Monarch not soverign in the UK ultimately. I know they dont 'interfere' in politics but I thought that was more of a gentlemans agreement rather than law. I could be completely wrong here !
    Some of the laws in use to bypass the regional assemblies predate the the time Parliament voted to kill the last Monarch to have notions of sovereignty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Worth remembering for anyone doubting things and posting the usual scare stories

The EU has archived all of the "Euromyths" printed in UK media - and it makes for some disturbing reading

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/the-eu-have-archived-all-of-the-euromyths-printed-in-uk-media-and-it-makes-for-some-disturbing-reading/14/11/

Some of them are brilliant:

EU health directive to prevent barmaids from showing cleavage
    Condom dimensions to be harmonised
    EU plans to liquify corpses and pour them down the drain
    Noise regulations to require club, pub and football goers to wear earplugs
    Women to be forced to hand in old sex toys

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

prawnsambo wrote: »

But all of that can easily be sorted with side deals and a FTA, apparently.

It is funny how none on the UK think anything of sharing classified information with the US, being subservient to them in wars like Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan but cannot bear the thought that they might have commons procedures and laws required for trade and health etc with the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

They can. Parliament is sovereign in the UK. Not the PM, the people or the government. Parliament.

The UK parliament is sovereign, but if they wield this status too liberally, too much against the wishes of constituents, then they face consequences at the ballot box. It's sovereignty, but it is, in effect, of a limited type.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Some of them are brilliant:

EU health directive to prevent barmaids from showing cleavage
    Condom dimensions to be harmonised
    EU plans to liquify corpses and pour them down the drain
    Noise regulations to require club, pub and football goers to wear earplugs
    Women to be forced to hand in old sex toys

My favourite was the 'dead pets have to be pressure cooked before burial' one.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭A Shropshire Lad

But basically theres no law in England to stop the monarch from advising the government or refusing to even form a government even, apart from the fact that they could get beheaded !

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Well, yes you are correct about the need for the CU, but it is the SM that makes a hard border essential. We could tolerate a bit of a leaky border if the standards are OK, and let the tariff situation sit. It is a problem with diesel leaking across the border, but it is tackled. The same would happen with customs based smuggling. ....

The SM is indeed vital for a control-less border. It is vital for e.g. milk from NI to be processed in RoI and be allowed to be mixed with 'EU' milk. There is milk from the RoI currently being processed in NI and sold back on the EU/RoI consumer market.

But unless there is a CU or a FTA with very low tariffs on agri-products smuggling could be a major problem.

Beef will have have 40-50% or higher tariffs, milk 27% or higher.
    Some farmers in the border region will, I guess, have cows that should pay duty each time they are moved from one field to another :confused:
    https://ahdb.org.uk/uk-and-eu-import-tariffs-under-no-deal-brexit EU and expected UK MFN rates

The EU VAT for NI requires full communication with Ireland. I do not think that it would affect the UK side, just exports from NI to Ireland would not attract a VAT refund.

Of course exporting NI beef to the UK could be interesting, as how Irish or British is the beef? Would it be tariff free?

The VAT rates in NI and RoI will not be more different just because of Brexit. Consumer smuggling is a relative minor question compared to businesses being hit by much worse VAT payment conditions across the 'No Deal' border.
    I did see some of the problems with VAT/import VAT when trading with Eastern Europe before 2004, but it's a long tome ago.
    I haven't checked to WA on rules for VAT - have you?

I believe all larger farm animals will have an ID-chip, but maybe some Irish farmer could describe the practical rules used on the island?

Lars :)

PS! The EU27 can't lower its WTO MFN tariffs just for NI - MFN tariffs are valid world wide for all 3. countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Farage is just waiting for the day when he can hold a full Nuremburg style rally. Maybe not too far off
    He held a rally today during which the crowd chanted "Ni-gel, Ni-gel" and it sounded a lot like Sieg heil!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Kevin Maguire Daily Mirror editor has just tweeted ( apologies buy i can't link it in) that Boris Johnson's Tory regime has just announced an emergency budget for next Wednesday 4th.

I smell an election coming very very soon.

Call me Al wrote: »
    Kevin Maguire Daily Mirror editor has just tweeted ( apologies buy i can't link it in) that Boris Johnson's Tory regime has just announced an emergency budget for next Wednesday 4th.

Here we go:

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/1166467873650479105?s=19

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

reslfj wrote: »
    The SM is indeed vital for a control-less border. It is vital for e.g. milk from NI to be processed in RoI and be allowed to be mixed with 'EU' milk. There is milk from the RoI currently being processed in NI and sold back on the EU/RoI consumer market.

But unless there is a CU or a FTA with very low tariffs on agri-products smuggling could be a major problem.

Beef will have have 40-50% or higher tariffs, milk 27% or higher.
    Some farmers in the border region will, I guess, have cows that should pay duty each time they are moved from one field to another :confused:
    https://ahdb.org.uk/uk-and-eu-import-tariffs-under-no-deal-brexit EU and expected UK MFN rates
    Not easy, but clearly CU is required, but there should be scope for limited exemptions such as exist for various enclaves and exclaves.

The VAT rates in NI and RoI will not be more different just because of Brexit. Consumer smuggling is a relative minor question compared to businesses being hit by much worse VAT payment conditions across the 'No Deal' border.
    I did see some of the problems with VAT/import VAT when trading with Eastern Europe before 2004, but it's a long tome ago.
    I haven't checked to WA on rules for VAT - have you?

PS! The EU27 can't lower its WTO MFN tariffs just for NI - MFN tariffs are valid world wide for all 3. countries.

The problem with the VAT is that the rates are not trivial, unlike many tariffs. It is an area open to huge effect on Gov finances. Exports out f the EU get VAT refunds, but a corresponding import can be omitted, either because the item is below a threshold (as in personal import) or by fraud.

The close reporting between NI and Ireland is needed to limit this. Exports from either side of the border do not get refunds, and get charged the appropriate VAT if the exporter currently falls into that requirement.

It is clear Westminster folk do not get any of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

What happens if it doesn't pass in the HoC? Automatic Election?

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I get the feeling they are banking on Labour voting for an election. Corbyn should stand firm and demand extension and or rule out No Deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Nate

I guess so.. Johnson is going to offer money all around I think. Tax cuts (for those they know will vote). So opposition vote down the budget, and they get the election they're trying to avoid, and the Tory Dominic Grieve's of this world lose their seats.

This is like a huge political game of chess.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Not easy, but clearly CU is required, but there should be scope for limited exemptions such as exist for various enclaves and exclaves.

There will be no - as in zero, nada, non - negotiations about anything unless and until the WA text ( without transition periods) is ratified - not now, not after a 'No Deal' Brexit.

NADA!

The UK must be shown it is impossible to sneak around the WA text - citizens rights, the border and the money - and survive as a 'decent' country.

A 'No Deal' and the EU27 will not help the UK but only itself. This will crash the UK's political system and shortly after its economy.
    The problem with the VAT is that the rates are not trivial, unlike many tariffs. It is an area open to huge effect on Gov finances.

Exports out f the EU get VAT refunds, but a corresponding import can be omitted, either because the item is below a threshold (as in personal import) or by fraud.

Refund of VAT out of the EU can be and often is very restricted for private persons. This may require UK VAT-law changes for refunds out of the UK and changes in EU27 member state VAT-laws for goods into the UK.
    Without a deal fraud will most likely be a much bigger problem in many more areas then VAT. Brexit is in no way a smart move.

Additionally there are potential huge problems with paying VAT upon crossing the borders and not using the rules for inter EU member trade. Liquidity demands can kill trade not least for SMEs.

But again the VAT rates will not change due to Brexit and with proper no refund rules for private people, the new VAT problems should be limited to businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

reslfj wrote: »
    There will be no - as in zero, nada, non - negotiations about anything unless and until the WA text ( without transition periods) is ratified - not now, not after a 'No Deal' Brexit.

NADA!

The UK must be shown it is impossible to sneak around the WA text - citizens rights, the border and the money - and survive as a 'decent' country.

A 'No Deal' and the EU27 will not help the UK but only itself. This will crash the UK's political system and shortly after its economy.

Refund of VAT out of the EU can be and often is very restricted for private persons. This may require UK VAT-law changes for refunds out of the UK and changes in EU27 member state VAT-laws for goods into the UK.
    Without a deal fraud will most likely be a much bigger problem in many more areas then VAT. Brexit is in no way a smart move.

Additionally there are potential huge problems with paying VAT upon crossing the borders and not using the rules for inter EU member trade. Liquidity demands can kill trade not least for SMEs.

But again the VAT rates will not change due to Brexit and with proper no refund rules for private people, the new VAT problems should be limited to businesses.

This post 100%.

Any goodwill available to the UK which could be used to tweak a rule here or there to smooth things not covered by the WA evaporated once BoJo was elected and started shouting about the WA being dead and the UK divorce bill not being owed etc.

In the space of a few weeks he's gone from the WA being completely dead but with the "good bits" being rescued and when they didn't work to not talking to any EU leaders until they agreed to drop the backstop and when that didn't work to declaring Merkel saying if the UK can pull a rabbit out of the hat which negates the need for a backstop and is immediately implementable that the EU will listen as some kind of victory.

BoJo is only interested in one thing and that's getting a HoC majority for BoJo. If that means a hard Brexit which destroys a huge number of lives plus his own economy and political system that seems to be a price BoJo is willing to pay.

We should do nothing to facilitate him.

I guess so.. Johnson is going to offer money all around I think. Tax cuts (for those they know will vote). So opposition vote down the budget, and they get the election they're trying to avoid, and the Tory Dominic Grieve's of this world lose their seats.

This is like a huge political game of chess.

It's been more and more like a huge political game of Buckaroo tbh.

Calling this chess is giving it gravitas(s) it scarcely deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,395 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Nate

Although I'm no expert on UK law, being unable to pass a budget is the same as losing a confidence motion. The maxim being that if you can't spend, you can't govern.

How this fits in the fixed term parliament act, I'm not sure.
    The DUP arrangement is called confidence and supply (with supply being related to passing a budget). This could be a Johnson trick to force an election, if the opposition won't table a confidence motion. There is no way parliament will pass an off the wall budget, not with the way the numbers are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

It's been more and more like a huge political game of Buckaroo tbh.

Calling this chess is giving it gravitas(s) it scarcely deserves.

Jenga, and the UK are playing against theirself.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Although I'm no expert on UK law, being unable to pass a budget is the same as losing a confidence motion. The maxim being that if you can't spend, you can't govern.

How this fits in the fixed term parliament act, I'm not sure.
    The DUP arrangement is called confidence and supply (with supply being related to passing a budget). This could be a Johnson trick to force an election, if the opposition won't table a confidence motion. There is no way parliament will pass an off the wall budget, not with the way the numbers are at the moment.

I'm certainly no expert on UK "constitutional" law but the Fixed Term Parliament Act seems pretty clear that it has to be an actual vote of no confidence that is successful before the process begins.
    (Moot point - as it is an early budget, would that technically be a loss of supply in the short term, seeing as there should be a supply of money to run the country for at least a few weeks?)

Johnson can't get his election without Corbyn agreeing. The way I read it, a clever opposition could vote down the budget but vote against a no confidence motion and limit the government's option to have an election befor the end of October. One thing though - the deputy speaker usually oversees budget debates, so no John Bercow if/when there are shenanigans (eg - could the Tories vote against themselves in a no confidence motion?).
    2 Early parliamentary general elections
    (1)An early parliamentary general election is to take place if—
    (a)the House of Commons passes a motion in the form set out in subsection (2), and
    (b)if the motion is passed on a division, the number of members who vote in favour of the motion is a number equal to or greater than two thirds of the number of seats in the House (including vacant seats).
    (2)The form of motion for the purposes of subsection (1)(a) is—
    “That there shall be an early parliamentary general election.”

(3)An early parliamentary general election is also to take place if—
    (a)the House of Commons passes a motion in the form set out in subsection (4), and
    (b)the period of 14 days after the day on which that motion is passed ends without the House passing a motion in the form set out in subsection (5).
    (4)The form of motion for the purposes of subsection (3)(a) is—
    “That this House has no confidence in Her Majesty’s Government.”

(5)The form of motion for the purposes of subsection (3)(b) is—
    “That this House has confidence in Her Majesty’s Government.”

(6)Subsection (7) applies for the purposes of the Timetable in rule 1 in Schedule 1 to the Representation of the People Act 1983.
    (7)If a parliamentary general election is to take place as provided for by subsection (1) or (3), the polling day for the election is to be the day appointed by Her Majesty by proclamation on the recommendation of the Prime Minister (and, accordingly, the appointed day replaces the day which would otherwise have been the polling day for the next election determined under section 1).

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2011/14/section/2/enacted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I disagree with Boris Johnson's politics almost entirely. But he's really charming and likeable. Can't help but feel warm to him.

He's full of bluster and hot air. But he's very friendly.

He literally managed to avoid giving an answer on will there be food and medicine shortages in the UK. There will be, but smart politicking.

Hard to argue with him even if he's completely wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement