Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I'm assuming we'll know if Lizzie agrees or not today?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Watching the pound lose all the gains it made in the last week just within the last hour and i cant imgaine things will get much better as the day goes on

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    I'm assuming we'll know if Lizzie agrees or not today?

I don’t think she can refuse but she will be furious with Johnson and any Tory supporting him and this move

I don’t think she can refuse but she will be furious with Johnson and any Tory supporting him and this move

Will be interesting to see what she turns up in to deliver the speech cus it seems to be the only way she is comfortable expressing her mood or opinion on the current politiics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭prunudo

Any action she takes in this situation even inaction is getting involved.

But having her speech 5 weeks after they return from summer recess and therefore not having any debates for 5 weeks is surely frustrating the will of parliament who have previously voted against no deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Good news this. The end is nigh and we can all move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ahh thats it, he's f****d it, doubt he'll get another second behind the dispatch box as PM.

Dozens of Tory MPs will be horrified at the very idea of what is being proposed here, it will be an immediate vote of no confidence and an election, which will probably leave Parliament about as divided as it is now, just with different actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Far from it. Just the end of the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Anyone remember Donald Tusk saying, in the dim and distant past: "Please don't waste this time" ...? :rolleyes:

Parliament suspended till the 14th Oct, Queen's speech takes up all of that day's business, leaving Oct 15th and 16th - at best - for the HoC to get its act together in order to have a "reasonable, operational and acceptable" proposition to bring to the EU meeting on the 17th and 18th Oct. :confused:

In contrast to other posters here, I cannot see in this any postive effect on Johnson's life-span as PM; rather, it looks like the best he can hope for is to hold the record for Britain's shortest-held premiership.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...it looks like the best he can hope for is to hold the record for Britain's shortest-held premiership.

If you count his time in terms of when parliament was actually active it's barely going to add up to 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You're happy to see democracy in action?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Is this not, pretty outrageous?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

AdamD wrote: »
    Is this not, pretty outrageous?

It's typical Brexit, deliver the "will of the people" by shutting down their elected parliament. A project of contradictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The British are really taking Brexit in their stride. Makes your wonder are they right or are they sleepwalking off a cliff?

If this suspension and all the mess over the past while happened in France we would be seeing spectacular protests and riots.

Time to setup a Sterling currency alert on Revolut for the online shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Watch the senior civil servants fillet Johnson. Every single secret will be leaked.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The British are really taking Brexit in their stride. Makes your wonder are they right or are they sleepwalking off a cliff?

If this suspension and all the mess over the past while happened in France we would be seeing spectacular protests and riots.

Time to setup a Sterling currency alert on Revolut for the online shopping.
    Right about what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Right about what?

Right to just go totally going ho on Brexit. I don't think they are but it would be wrong to assume they are stupid, there must be an angle.

My brother reckons one angle might be large scale deregulation post Brexit, particularly in banking and finance in order to make Britain attractive and make the major players successful at the expense of the average British person. Who knows though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

This is Ian Dunt's take on this whole episode right now,

Prorogue: The government takes its shot
    So we finally get to the meat of it. After months of threats and bluffs to cancel parliament so Boris Johnson can force through no-deal, it looks like the plan is finally revealed.

The news broke today that the government intends to prorogue parliament from around the 12th of September to October 14th, when it will lay out a new Queen's Speech.

First things first: this is not cancelling parliament, as we'd feared over the summer. It does not cross the October 31st line. That means that when you take all the Dominic Cummings-type threats out of it, what their offensive really amounts to is simply limiting the time MPs have available, not stopping them from responding at all.

Basically it comes down to a weak move forced due to the weak position they are in. There is still ample time for MPs to act and the last option is a VONC and caretaker government that can take over and request an extension to allow for a election.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

Enzokk wrote: »
    This is Ian Dunt's take on this whole episode right now,

Prorogue: The government takes its shot

Basically it comes down to a weak move forced due to the weak position they are in. There are still ample time for MPs to act and the last option is a VONC and caretaker government that can take over and request an extension to allow for a election.

Is a GE even enough for an extension at this point? The EU must be getting so fed up at this stage that they'd be looking for definite answers to the questions facing the UK. You could have a situation whereby an extension is granted, a GE is called, and that GE just returns the same impasse. Another 6 months wasted.

My brother reckons one angle might be large scale deregulation post Brexit, particularly in banking and finance in order to make Britain attractive .

They're not going to make Britain "attractive" by cutting it off from one of its most important markets. A huge proportion of Swiss banking and insurance is routed through London to ensure access to the EU. That'll evaporate on Nov 1st, making London no more attractive than Zurich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

They've already out manouvered Corbyn and other opposition leaders

They've already out manouvered Corbyn and other opposition leaders

Not really. They’ve just shortened the amount of time the opposition has to work against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

briany wrote: »
    Another 6 months wasted.

This wasted time seems to be harming The Brits more than it does the EU. A massive distraction and time suck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭brickster69

Checkmate. All we need now is for the EU not to budge

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

robinph wrote: »
    The Queen dieing would be quite useful at the moment as that would put a halt to things for a good while.

Edit: Might be enough for just Prince Philip to shuffle off and would mean they don't bother the Queen for a bit actually.

What about an abdication? I'm imagining the Queen traipsing through the gorse in Balmoral saying "Fekkit. I've had a enough of this shyte. Tell Charles to get his head measured ..."

Hardly, there's multiple things the opposition could still do

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

:) What has this shambles got to do with the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In fact I think the coalescing of the opposition, forced their hand into the public.
    I would say Corbyn's letter tot he 16 Tory MPs trumped the Govn't.
    Fair play to him, (reluctantly) changing tack.

Water John wrote: »
    In fact I think the coalescing of the opposition, forced their hand into the public.
    I would say Corbyn's letter tot he 16 Tory MPs trumped the Govn't.
    Fair play to him, (reluctantly) changing tack.

They have over 200 MPs signed on last I saw earlier this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭sandbelter

Au contraire, Opening move of the 2019 general election.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement