Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It is bigger than Brexit now. It is about MP's going against the wishes of the people. Those who stood on manifesto's to accept and implement those wishes.It could be about any subject really.

I think most countries in the world would respect the people wishes. Even if they never agreed with them.

Still waving that flag then are you?

On no metric did the people vote for No Deal, in fact the opposite is entirely true.

You are being extremely disingenuous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Shelga wrote: »
    Are the headbangers going to turn against their beloved queen if she refuses this?

Brexit is eating itself.

Here is Naomi smith pretty much threatening the Queen

https://twitter.com/chienontheloose/status/1166640648054853632?s=21

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Laois_Man wrote: »
    A VONC cannot occur until September 3rd meaning parliament cannot be dissolved until Sept 17th - when it is prorogued and therefore, cannot be dissolved!

That's assuming that the prorogation cannot be cancelled in the light of the vote of no confidence. I don't know whether this is possible or not.

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Prepare for one of the most toxic, bullshit-riddled election campaigns in modern history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

Checkmate. All we need now is for the EU not to budge

Think I'll bookmark this post and check back in mid Nov to see how prophetic it was and how well this move has served the best interests of the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

This mornings move eliminates the possibility of a general election before Brexit. A VONC cannot occur until September 3rd meaning parliament cannot be dissolved until Sept 17th - when it is prorogued and therefore, cannot be dissolved!

are you sure about that? i thought under the new fixed term parliament act a VONC trigger a series of events that had to be seen through?

now i could be wrong and as that act has never been used yet no one seems completely sure what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

listermint wrote: »

On no metric did the people vote for No Deal, in fact the opposite is entirely true.

No Deal is the preferred option of 26% of British people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Here is Naomi smith pretty much threatening the Queen

https://twitter.com/chienontheloose/status/1166640648054853632?s=21

It's a bit of a stretch to call that a threat to execute her. It's threatening the Queen's reputation and legacy.

It's a bit of a stretch to call that a threat to execute her. It's threatening the Queen's reputation and legacy.

Strange and bewildering times not just interesting ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭brickster69

listermint wrote: »

No one voted for a deal either. They voted to Leave which is as far as i understand the opposite of remain.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

No one voted for a deal either. They voted to Leave which is as far as i understand the opposite of remain.

Did they vote for No Deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

farmchoice wrote: »
    are you sure about that? i thought under the new fixed term parliament act a VONC trigger a series of events that had to be seen through?

now i could be wrong and as that act has never been used yet no one seems completely sure what happens.

No, I'm not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

No Deal is the preferred option of 26% of British people.

Still frightening that there is a quarter of the country who are brainwashed to pure idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Some very full on comments from the likes of Bercow and others in reaction.

Boris hoping the house votes no confidence and then election is called?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It is bigger than Brexit now. It is about MP's going against the wishes of the people. Those who stood on manifesto's to accept and implement those wishes.It could be about any subject really.

I think most countries in the world would respect the people wishes. Even if they never agreed with them.
    A majority of the electorate voted for, and a majority of MPs were elected, on manifestos to leave *with a deal*. It’s those who seek to leave without a deal who are going against the wishes of the people expressed at the ballot box. Having brayed for so long about the sovereignty of the people, if they had a shred of integrity they would seek a mandate for a no-deal brexit. They don’t, and nobody is in the least surprised, because we’ve known all along that their pretended concern for democracy is nothing but canting hypocrisy, and they will discard it as lightly as Boris Johnson discards his unwanted illegitimate children.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Sigh..... this reductive crap again.

Thanks to the muddying of the waters during the election you know full well that people voted leave intending various versions of deal, no deal, Norway+ CU, SM access etc etc. Pretending that everyone voted for Leave full stop regardless of outcome or how it was achieved is absolutely disingenuous and a lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Anyone else listening to this caller talking about cookies on James O’Brien? He’s saying he voted leave because of the EU’s overarching control over 28 countries, and the only example he can give is that it’s an EU rule to have to click to agree to cookies on a website.

This is the first time I’ve thought that this must be a plant. No one can be this stupid and be so willing to display their stupidity on national radio.

Still frightening that there is a quarter of the country who are brainwashed to pure idiocy.

Yeah, it is. Mind you, people vote for the likes of the Healy-Raes, Lowry etc. so we can't point the finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

No.10 has threatened that in the event of VONC parliament will be dissolved (preventing any attempt to form unity gov) and an election held in 1st week of November.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Shelga wrote: »
    Anyone else listening to this caller talking about cookies on James O’Brien? He’s saying he voted leave because of the EU’s overarching control over 28 countries, and the only example he can give is that it’s an EU rule to have to click to agree to cookies on a website.

This is the first time I’ve thought that this must be a plant. No one can be this stupid and be so willing to display their stupidity on national radio.

I listen to LBC most days. That guy had at least half a brain compared to most leavers that call in

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Sigh..... this reductive crap again.

Thanks to the muddying of the waters during the election you know full well that people voted leave intending various versions of deal, no deal, Norway+ CU, SM access etc etc. Pretending that everyone voted for Leave full stop regardless of outcome or how it was achieved is absolutely disingenuous and a lie.

Reductio ad absurdum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

farmchoice wrote: »

Something that occurs to me, the HoC has the opportunity/power to change the fixed term parliament act between Sep 3rd and Sept 9th - or indeed the rules around the proroguing of parliament!

There's probably a lot of cards that can be played!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No, I'm not!

A vote of no confidence starts a 2 week period in which an alternative government can be built or a general election will be called if it can't.

The only way back from the precipice is that a national Government is formed.
    By the 15th September, we will have no deal confirmed if that is going to be the result.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

e can give is that it’s an EU rule to have to click to agree to cookies on a website

in fairness lol its a stupid EU rule however its not something that would get me to say fk it lets leave the EU

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yeah, it is. Mind you, people vote for the likes of the Healy-Raes, Lowry etc. so we can't point the finger.

Indeed. Not to mention the list of things people cited for voting against the Lisbon Treaty.

This is all a Cummings/Nikki Da Costa wheeze

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭laurah591

Can someone advise if plans are still in place for an emergency budget on the 4th of Sept ... alot seems to have happened in the last 24 hours

Remember they cannot call a GE themselves - need VONC or 2/3 majority for that.

trellheim wrote: »
    This is all a Cummings/Nikki Da Costa wheeze

It's increasingly obvious that Johnson is the gormless glove puppet of the Leave campaign.

• Advertisement

I think the DUP finally see the bus they’re going under is coming. They’d best tread very carefully with their demands I’d say.

‘DUP says terms of the confidence and supply agreement with Tory minority government will be reviewed in advanced of the new parliamentary session’

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement