Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Not really. What have you to go on when all parties say they will respect and implement the vote that was decided on. Not the voters fault really is it ?

And again, where were the protests when these very same MPs voted against the WA?

the WA gets the UK to leave the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭brickster69

prawnsambo wrote: »
    And they (and apparently you) think he's trustworthy.

I will let you know, my belief is i do not believe any politician is trustworthy.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not really. What have you to go on when all parties say they will respect and implement the vote that was decided on. Not the voters fault really is it ?

Whose fault is it?

The people voted...what happens in parliament in ultimately at their door. If they are unhappy they get another day eventually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

It seems this is just the first of a series of bizarre disruptive events planned. Cummings grimy fingerprints all over this

https://twitter.com/darranmarshall/status/1166743595757572096?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

murphaph wrote: »
    I really hope Johnson gets his strong majority and can dump the DUP and go for a WTO Brexit for Britain with NI getting special status.
    Why do you think NI would get special status in this scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Add Amber Rudd, Nicky Morgan and Sajid Javid to that list, all also opposed suspending parliament in the past few months

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why do you think NI would get special status in this scenario?
    Because it solves EU's problem on the NI border which they would need to control in some form while maintaining their support for the peace agreement (assuming full controls in water with EU support etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It seems this is just the first of a series of bizarre disruptive events planned. Cummings grimy fingerprints all over this

https://twitter.com/darranmarshall/status/1166743595757572096?s=21

Straight from the Trump play book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Davidson going is the start of the unravelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Forty Seven

BBC reporting she is considering her position, statement tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Actually it says she is quitting due to "motherhood" reasons.

So not principle then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Would Davidson quitting leave Boris with no majority?

She's an MSP not an MP it has no overall effect in Westminster.

But it is a bombshell, especially with a by-election on the go in Shetland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

why does Laura K persist on posting like this.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1166749203953061888

has she no political knowledge at all, even if the reason was true, surely she knows that any politician with any loyalty would hold off on any announcement on something like this to avoid the perception that it was linked.

she should at least mention that or simply avoid the spin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

We need a half way house. Who wants 30 DUP members in the Dail?

Why would there be 30 DUP members? Looks like you have around 1 member per population of around 30 000 in Ireland. That would mean around 63 Northern Irish Dail politicians coming in. Factor in the 30% of the vote the DUP gets from that total and you have around 20 incoming DUP members, give or take a few. That would be out of a total of 220. Rough calculations from me.

Not really.

247 constituencies of Conservative MPs voted Leave
    148 constituencies of Labour MPs voted Leave

Including all parties, that’s a total of 415 seats where the people told Parliament to leave the EU

You can try and discount elections that doesn't suit your agenda, but in the last election the parties had manifestos and the parties that ruled out no-deal received 54% of the vote. If people felt strongly in favour of no-deal they should have voted UKIP or Conservative in 2017. That is the most recent election we can go on.

If true that would be another casualty to Brexit. I have been hammering her but good on her for resigning seeing as her position is untenable. She cannot claim to represent people in Scotland and the Conservatives, they are looking more and more like two polar opposite views.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,630 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

BBC reporting she is considering her position, statement tomorrow.

Scottish press believes she will indeed announce her resignation tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Nody wrote: »
    Because it solves EU's problem on the NI border which they would need to control in some form while maintaining their support for the peace agreement (assuming full controls in water with EU support etc.).
    I can see why it is desirable but not quite what I am asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Actually it says she is quitting due to "motherhood" reasons.

So not principle then.

If it was principle she would have lead or attempted to lead a split of the Scottish Tories and stopped this entire mess

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Berserker wrote: »
    No they don't. The democratic wish of the British people takes precedence over everything else anyway.

This mentality is why dictators like prebicites so much and why moderate democrates are so wary of them. They are so useful to undermine democratic norms, anything and everything can be attacked and broken, even democracy itself to implement the "will of the people". Its so much easier to reduce issues down to simplistic and easily manupilated ideas rather than dealing with complicated realities and democratic checks and balances.

• Advertisement

Strazdas wrote: »
    Scottish press believes she will indeed announce her resignation tomorrow

So why not just quit today? Perhaps she has an angle and is hoping for some concession? It doesn't make sense to me, if principle she could do more damage than this, if personal her timing is terrible.

She wants something I think. We will see tomorrow I suppose.

Davidson has little influence over the MPs in Scotland, was hyped up by her mates in the media, avoids scrutiny, flip flops on issues and has only one policy - no to independence. The Tory MPs in Scotland have done next to nothing to take the sting out of Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/269157

A petition to not prorogue is gaining signatures at the rate of 1,000 per minute at the moment. I'd expect it to top several million by the end of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    This mentality is why dictators like prebicites so much and why moderate democrates are so wary of them. They are so useful to undermine democratic norms, anything and everything can be attacked and broken, even democracy itself to implement the "will of the people". Its so much easier to reduce issues down to simplistic and easily manupilated ideas rather than dealing with complicated realities and democratic checks and balances.

Exactly, someone more knowledgeable might be able to correct me here but isn't Germany very reluctant to use referendums due to their little brush with dictatorship.
    Not sure of details so could be wrong here.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I know it is normal for referendum results that go against the EU to be re-run. But in the Uk it is normal to respect that result.
    As a retort to your snide comment, the Brits had already voted to remain in the EU before they were given a repeat referendum in 2016!

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't really see the significance of Davidson quitting. A bit of a non-event, and Johnson won't care.

More interested in knowing what the Scottish tory MPs will do

joe40 wrote: »
    Exactly, someone more knowledgeable might be able to correct me here but isn't Germany very reluctant to use referendums due to their little brush with dictatorship.
    Not sure of details so could be wrong here.

The latest David McWilliams podcast gets into the germans and how they dealt with setting up again after the war. Fascinating listen worth looking up.

awec wrote: »
    I don't really see the significance of Davidson quitting. A bit of a non-event, and Johnson won't care.

Jockey for position of course, they're politicians. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/269157

A petition to not prorogue is gaining signatures at the rate of 1,000 per minute at the moment. I'd expect it to top several million by the end of the week

Not one of these again? Stupid waste of time!

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »

In the context of Brexit - very little

In the context of elections in Scotland - probably a loss for the media as they were hyping her up as the next First Minister of Scotland (was never going to happen anyway)

As for the MPs, most of them know their time is up at the next election so hard to tell but their previous actions will indicate they will back Johnson

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement