Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread X (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I stopped at "personal and corporate tax rates". Impressive to get so many things wrong in one sentence.
    So would you like to short-circuit the merriment and actually quote the actual laws that you imagine came from the EU? You know, links to statute law and EU directives.

"Brexiter reveals he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about shock".

Funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It is not a mobile add on. You can roam for free anywhere if your carrier has a network in another country which they all do. If the UK left the EU all the carriers would offer it for free. It costs them nothing at all.

Yes, as it currently stands they would offer it for free on Brexit day plus 1. But what about Brexit day plus 365? Can you guarantee they will not start charging again? Because the government could not and wanted to legislate that mobile providers limit the cost for roaming.

Mobile roaming charges: What will happen in Europe after Brexit?
    If the UK leaves without a deal, Culture Secretary Jeremy Wright has confirmed that mobile operators will be able to implement roaming charges if they want to.

But he added that the government would be legislating to put a £45-a-month limit on the amount that customers could be charged for using mobile data abroad.

So it is up to the companies whether to charge, I would like to know why you are so confident they will not start charging again?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

As the pre-eminent producer of garbage on here, that's a bit.

Mod note:

Please dont make things personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It is not a mobile add on. You can roam for free anywhere if your carrier has a network in another country which they all do. If the UK left the EU all the carriers would offer it for free. It costs them nothing at all.
    No they don't. Three, for example only have networks in operation in Hong Kong, Macau, Austria, Denmark, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭brickster69

And there's already been agreement on beef quotas.

That was from a seperate dispute going back 10 years.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

No they don't. Three, for example only have networks in operation in Hong Kong, Macau, Austria, Denmark, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

Three own Moviesta

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

I stopped at "personal and corporate tax rates". Impressive to get so many things wrong in one sentence.
    So would you like to short-circuit the merriment and actually quote the actual laws that you imagine came from the EU? You know, links to statute law and EU directives.

I was sarcastic - none of these issues that impact daily life come from Brussels. No Brexiteer has ever been able to point out a law that was “imposed” on the UK that they object to

Three own Moviesta
    If you're referring to Movistar, they're owned by Telefonica, not Hutchinson Three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that poster was being sarcastic.

Enzokk wrote: »
    Yes, as it currently stands they would offer it for free on Brexit day plus 1. But what about Brexit day plus 365? Can you guarantee they will not start charging again? Because the government could not and wanted to legislate that mobile providers limit the cost for roaming.

Mobile roaming charges: What will happen in Europe after Brexit?

So it is up to the companies whether to charge, I would like to know why you are so confident they will not start charging again?

Of course. But 3 have been doing it before the Eu introduced it and globally. Obvious to say whichever company decided to continue it, would absolutely clean up on all new contracts.

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Do they?

I'm with Eir. Reckon without the EU I'd have such options?

So I'll ask again, name a country that has this as of right?

What you describe is tarrif dependent, ie. You can roam abroad on ONLY that carrier's foreign networks. So it's categorically not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Jizique

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that poster was being sarcastic.

Thanks, just confirmed it

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Of course. But 3 have been doing it before the Eu introduced it and globally. Obvious to say whichever company decided to continue it, would absolutely clean up on all new contracts.

But 3 have been doing it for years and don't clean up. Hmmm.

Explain what happens when I roam to a country in the EU that don't have a 3 owned network, say in the scenario where the roaming rules were as they were before March 2017?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Gina Millar outlines what she believes Johnson is going to do. This she derives from legal interaction she's had with the No 10.

'Johnson’s plan of action – doubtless guided by the arch-Brexiter svengali Dominic Cummings – is clearly to call an election and dissolve parliament as soon as the beginning of next month, with polling at some point after the existing Brexit day of 31 October.

He is gambling everything on Jeremy Corbyn’s unpopularity and a public which, at that point, will have yet to experience the full force of no-deal economic headwinds. He may even hold a pre-Brexit budget to lull the public into a false sense of security, bribing them with their own money, through a splurge of new spending promises and tax cuts funded by an increase in the national debt.' Guardian

No they haven't. I've been with three for over a decade and they absolutely didn't have free roaming. In fact in 2016, I was charged an arm and a leg for data roaming in France. And as I have pointed out, Three do not have global coverage. Not even close.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

No they haven't. I've been with three for over a decade and they absolutely didn't have free roaming. In fact in 2016, I was charged an arm and a leg for data roaming in France. And as I have pointed out, Three do not have global coverage. Not even close.

They have had some form since at least 2013 anyway. I used it for first few weeks after moving to NI back then.

Someone listed Three's countries and I don't think France was on it so that may explain it?

It's irrelevant though as pointed out, it allows free roaming on their network only. Not the same as the EU directive(which is a godsend in my experience!).

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    They have had some form since at least 2013 anyway. I used it for first few weeks after moving to NI back then.

Someone listed Three's countries and I don't think France was on it so that may explain it?

It's irrelevant though as pointed out, it allows free roaming on their network only. Not the same as the EU directive(which is a godsend in my experience!).
    I think they had a free roaming scheme for cross border users. Not 100% sure if that translated to other EU countries or not, but I'm pretty sure not in France, Spain or Portugal. And definitely not in the USA where they charged at a rate of €1.78/min for calls and €5.08/Mb for data.

Not absolutely global coverage but quite a lot of non EU countries. They did have this available for quite a long time before the EU laws were brought in.

It was not widely advertised but it is a matter of going into your account and ticking a box.I can't remember the name of it but it was free and still is.

- Camille Paglia

- Camille Paglia

Not absolutely global coverage but quite a lot of non EU countries. They did have this available for quite a long time before the EU laws were brought in.

It was not widely advertised but it is a matter of going into your account and ticking a box.I can't remember the name of it but it was free and still is.
    Not absolutely global? They're not in the US, Canada, South America, Japan, China or Russia to start with. That's wiping out a hell of a lot of the globe right there. And they're not in a large number of EU countries either. You couldn't even say they were 'almost' global.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,265 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's going to be intriguing to see what Corbyn is going to do with the "time limited national government"

Corbyn is far to devise character to get votes from Tory rebels and Lib Dems wont vote for him.
    Will he do what's best for the country or will he have the blinkers on going down with this sinking ship.

Personally if Corbyn stepped a side and pushed labour votes behind Clarke my estimation of Corbyn would sky rocket but I cannot see it happening.

It's been a long time since UK Politicians have done something for the greater good of their country rather than their party or personal glories.

Not absolutely global? They're not in the US, Canada, South America, Japan, China or Russia to start with. That's wiping out a hell of a lot of the globe right there. And they're not in a large number of EU countries either. You couldn't even say they were 'almost' global.

What does United States ( inc florida Keys ) suggest ?

- Camille Paglia

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Ok, we have established that some companies offer free roaming beyond what is required by the EU directive. It is also clear that not all companies offer this and it is based on them having a presence in the other country and/or a deal.

Lets get back on topic

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Headshot wrote: »
    It's going to be intriguing to see what Corbyn is going to do with the "time limited national government"

Corbyn is far to devise character to get votes from Tory rebels and Lib Dems wont vote for him.
    Will he do what's best for the country or will he have the blinkers on going down with this sinking ship.

Personally if Corbyn stepped a side and pushed labour votes behind Clarke my estimation of Corbyn would sky rocket but I cannot see it happening.

It's been a long time since UK Politicians have done something for the greater good of their country rather than their party or personal glories.

Corbyn don't have to do anything and the Tory party will be a party of the past.

If he steps aside so some career Torys can save face he would of pissed he career down the jacks.

He offers a solution to stop a no deal. If politicians are so agaisnt no deal then back him and it won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

In a previous chapter of this thread, I brought up the topic of roaming charges when travelling beyond the EU and it was pointed out that the cost of this is covered by trade agreements between the EU and those other countries. Hence why companies can now offer packages including roaming while in blocs such as the US, Australia, China ... but not Africa.

At this time, the UK does not have any such agreements in place, and there's no suggestion that they are working on anything of this nature. No doubt when they do get around to it, a couple of the bigger players will want to include in the T&Cs access to UK subscribers' data that goes beyond what the EU would agree to ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

It is. The EU said it was the best deal on offer. So now instead o getting the best deal they get the worst deal possible. Way to go EU !
    It was the best deal on offer. The next deal will be a surrender agreement with whatever parts of the UK that remain - requiring the UK to comply with the same terms but incur more cost to compensate for not taking the "best deal" and limiting the backstop to NI only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Yes, for EU laws not to be higher than UK laws.

My friends from Derry shudder at the thought of this.

fash wrote: »
    It was the best deal on offer. The next deal will be a surrender agreement with whatever parts of the UK that remain - requiring the UK to comply with the same terms but incur more cost to compensate for not taking the "best deal" and limiting the backstop to NI only.
    It actually wasn't the best deal on offer.

It was just the best deal on offer once all the red lines had excluded all other options. This needs saying yet again, as all complaints about 'the deal' are being directed at the wrong quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Headshot wrote: »

Corbyn and the other opposition leaders need to decide and decide fast what they're going to support to stop No Deal. It's not like they have a load of time.

To me, it's going to take someone like Ken Clarke on a very temporary basis to unite enough MPs to defeat No Deal. Corbyn is so divisive that Tories will never row in behind him. Clarke has the respect of the entire house and would be ideal on a limited timeframe - but, it's very hard to see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Corbyn and the other opposition leaders need to decide and decide fast what they're going to support to stop No Deal. It's not like they have a load of time.

To me, it's going to take someone like Ken Clarke on a very temporary basis to unite enough MPs to defeat No Deal. Corbyn is so divisive that Tories will never row in behind him. Clarke has the respect of the entire house and would be ideal on a limited timeframe - but, it's very hard to see it happening.

Ken Clarke is 79, and said he will retire at the next election. He is no long term threat to anyone, has no long term ambition, and is a strong and committed remainer.

Corbyn on the other hand has a lot of anti-EU baggage, and very little pro-EU baggage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement