Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon wheel damage expertise

Options
  • 16-08-2019 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

Last Tuesday I was involved in road accident, I got hit by car from behind approaching roundabout.
    I fell on left side landed on grass but my front carbon
    wheel hit the curb and has been damaged. Thankfully I'm ok.
    Women (driver) did not admit that was her fault and she drove off.
    Got her picture, plates and phone number.
    Reported an accident at Garda station.
    I want her to cover my wheel coz I don't feel safe anymore training and racing
    on that wheel.
    Officer told me that I need damage expertise to claim money from her later.
    I have visited couple of local shops but they don't like it coz the wheel was not bought in a local store.
    So, is there any place in Ireland where I can go?

Thanks for any help,
    Rappid.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if it's a carbon wheel, and you are claiming on her insurance, it's a writeoff plain and simple, so you're claiming the cost of a new wheel.
    the insurance company will love you if you're just claiming for the wheel and no damage to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I don't know anyplace in Ireland that repairs carbon wheels.
    You're looking at replacing your wheel.
    If you have the receipt for the wheels, great, if not google them and keep the link, note the price.

Generally speaking, if you're struck from behind, you're in the right. So there shouldn't be a problem with liability.
    When you're involved in a traffic collision, you are entitled to the following information, name and address of driver and details of insurance.
    Contact the driver, tell her you want a new wheel. If she agrees to replace, you're good. If she doesn't, report the collision to her insurance company, and as magicbastarder says, they will be delighted to deal with you and replace your wheel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,530 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

look at it this way - even if it's an expensive wheel, it's probably less than the cost of replacing just a bumper on a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

look at it this way - even if it's an expensive wheel, it's probably less than the cost of replacing just a bumper on a car.

I was struck from behind by a car last year, I had to get a new bumper, it cost €800. including labour and paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rappid

Bought brand new Enve's couple of months ago.

Ok, I will call her and ask to replace the wheel. She probably refuse.
    We will see.
    I will keep you in formed.

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

rappid wrote: »
    Bought brand new Enve's couple of months ago.

Ok, I will call her and ask to replace the wheel. She probably refuse.
    We will see.
    I will keep you in formed.

Cheers!

Blew out and damaged a carbon rim a couple of years ago. Fix was to send the wheel back to the wheelbuilder who used the hub and spokes with a new rim. It wasn't cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rappid

Ok, I had a chat today with that women, first she agreed for wheel replacement, but 20min later she called and said no.
    She did not provide me insurance details when I asked.
    Should I go to Garda and ask them to call her or find a solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

rappid wrote: »
    Ok, I had a chat today with that women, first she agreed for wheel replacement, but 20min later she called and said no.
    She did not provide me insurance details when I asked.
    Should I go to Garda and ask them to call her or find a solicitor?

I'd contact the gardai, tell them she refused to give insurance details. Hopefully you're never in this position again, but the easiest thing to do (from experience) is take a picture of the insurance cert with your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

Speak with Cliff in Harry’s in Clonskeagh. He’s the best contact I know of RE:Wheels.
    When I crashed he got someone to check out my carbon frame who found a tiny crack, I wouldn’t have noticed with my eye.

You might be at the stage where you need legal support, so could also be worth contacting a solicitor on the basis their fee’s are at risk if the claim is not successful.

the first thing a solicitor would be doing is contacting the insurance company anyway. go down that route first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

the first thing a solicitor would be doing is contacting the insurance company anyway. go down that route first.

Do this, you've tried talking to her and she's obviously denying liability. As said above her Insurance company will take your arm off if they think they can get out of this for "just" the cost of a new wheel. Don't communicate with her directly anymore though, in the unlikely event that the insurance company don't deal with you then you're looking at going legal. Good luck explaining to a Solicitor you "only" want a new wheel though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭cletus

OP said she refused to give insurance details. Don't know if a solicitor would be able to get that info, but I know that when a guy crashed into me, I contacted the gardai, and the only thing they wanted to know was had we exchanged insurance details.

If OP has been in contact with the woman, they must have a phone number at least, possibly an address or reg number. Id be starting with a call to the gardai to see what info they can get

Advertisement