Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga Superthread 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Messi went off injured tonight in Barca's 2-1 win over Villarreal. He's struggling with his fitness this season. Hope he can get a run of games going soon.

Two great long-range strikes from Arthur and Cazorla:

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1176577918052524033

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/1176584250243637254

1st fantastic, 2nd awful goalkeeping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Real Madrid gone top of the table with their win over Osasuna. Rodrygo came off the bench to score and is the fastest player to get off the mark on debut since Brazil's Ronaldo in 2002.

Pleased for Maxi Gomez to get two goals for Valencia. Hope he kicks on now. His first was very nice.

https://twitter.com/Herynho_/status/1176956221183725568

Was a disappointing night though for his side. They blew a 3-1 lead over Getafe to draw the game.

Atletico won 2-0 at Mallorca to move a point behind Real. It sets things up nicely for the Madrid derby on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Watched Real. They're fairly average. As are Barca sans Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Barca fined €300 for allegedly tapping up Griezmann.

A bit short of €80m Atletico were looking for.

The judge called the fine significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

You wouldn't know Costa is playing this game at all. Considering it's a Madrid derby that's surprising but maybe not so much these days.

Felix off. Diego Costa is still on. Neither side have been impressive in the slightest but Partey & Valverde have done well; the latter was taken off for Modric. :rolleyes:

Ends a 0-0 draw. Very low on excitement & quality too. Hazard was anonymous after he nearly took out Trippier early by landing ass first on his knee. Diego Costa is embarrassing to watch now, he's a year younger than Benzema but absolutely done as a player. Oblak made one great save from a Benzema header.
    I'm amazed looking at how Costa, Suarez & Hazard are not getting more criticism for their fitness. Its pretty unprofessional to be playing for top sides & clearly being out of shape. :confused:

Missed the game and only watched highlights on YT.....seems like a dull affair, with next to no major excitement, bar the Benzema header.

As for players being out of shape, Hazard has a bit of an excuse. He got injured in pre-season training and would have missed a fair bit of that. He'll come good in the next month or so when he gets up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Have to say I was hugely disappointed with the Madrid derby. It was a stinker, the worst game I've seen this year. Agree on Costa, it's hard to see how he can be a really important player for Atletico this season. Trippier looked very lively.

Hazard does need more game time so will reserve judgement for a while but he was very poor. Hoping to get over for a game this season, I'm glad it wasn't that one!

Some nice goals in the Sevilla/Sociedad game which the home side won 3-2. I'm enjoying Sociedad this season. Oyarzabal has been one of the league's best players and I can see bigger clubs taking an interest in the summer, while Odegaard looks like he's ready for the big stage now.

Hadn't realised Scotland's Oliver Burke was playing for Alaves. He came off the bench and provided a nice assist as they beat Mallorca.

• Advertisement

Pleased to see Hazard get off the mark for Madrid. Hopefully he can kick on. Madrid top of the table going into the break.

Maxi Gomez looking good for Valencia now. 4 goals in 5 games for him. Seems to be settling in.

Barca vs Sevilla will be interesting on Sunday. Sevilla looked good defensively at the start of the season but they've let in 5 goals in their last two games. And Messi has more goals against them than any other La Liga side: 36 goals in 37 games. This might be the game where Messi gets back to his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Two brilliant strikes from Suarez and Messi helped Barca to a 4-0 win over Sevilla.

Mad end to the match where Barca got two straight reds.

Real now on top by 2 points from Barca with el Classico on in a couple of weeks

Disappointing goalless draw for Atletico at Valladolid and could have been worse as Sandro Ramirez missed a penalty - it was a really awful spot kick. I didn't realise Sandro was still on Everton's books. He looked a super prospect a few years back for Malaga with 14 goals in 30 league games. Since going to Everton he hasn't managed a single league goal in the subsequent three seasons in either the Premier League or La Liga. Shocking decline.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mateu Lahoz sent Dembele off for saying "You're very bad" twice to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭NCW feen

Will ITV have any more games/highlights programme this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

/\ yes, it's Alaves v Celta Vigo at 11 am on Sunday

El Clasico postponed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

/\ yes, it's Alaves v Celta Vigo at 11 am on Sunday

El Clasico postponed.

That is on Freesports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oh then that's your answer. Freesports have the FTA game. Sorry.

Good day for Barca. They won 3-0 at Eibar while Real lost at Mallorca, meaning they go top of the table. Atletico were held to a draw by Valencia as well.

Things looking a lot better for Valverde's side, especially with Messi back and scoring goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Barca will win La Liga easily again.

Top & Messi has been out. They'll open a gap soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Good day for Barca. They won 3-0 at Eibar while Real lost at Mallorca, meaning they go top of the table. Atletico were held to a draw by Valencia as well.

Things looking a lot better for Valverde's side, especially with Messi back and scoring goals.

Don't forget Granada....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Betis lost again yesterday, we've had a terrible start to the season and we are now in the relegation zone. It's not looking good with defensive frailties being our biggest problem. We are very poor defending set-pieces and clearing our lines, we also suffer from not having bought a defensive midfielder in the summer. Another thing I would like to add is that they handed out contracts to players who are past it, like Guardado and Javi Garcia. They are talking about sacking Rubi and in December getting rid out of the sporting directors of the club. The only positive is Lorén has 7 goals now, delighted for him as he was heavily criticized last year. However, Sociedad are a great outfit with some lovely players like oyarzabal, odegard, isak and Portu, I think they could break into the top 4 this year. Up next for Betis is highflying Granada, Andalusian derby, it doesn't look good.

However, Sociedad are a great outfit with some lovely players like oyarzabal, odegard, isak and Portu, I think they could break into the top 4 this year.

Yeah they've been great to watch. There was nice play between Odegaard, Oyarzabal and Portu for their third goal.

Caught Sociedad's game away at Celta earlier. Sociedad won 1-0 to move into second for the time being. Wasn't their best game in truth and Celta going down to ten was a big moment. Isak with the winner off the bench. Odegaard provided the assist and he looked good again.

Betis lost again, didn't see it as I was out. I know it's still early in the season but being in the relegation zone and how we are defending is very worrying.

• Advertisement

Betis lost again, didn't see it as I was out. I know it's still early in the season but being in the relegation zone and how we are defending is very worrying.

Yeah based on the brief highlights I caught it didn't look like they threatened much in open play, and then a mistake led to the goal. Big game with Celta on Wednesday especially as November's fixtures look tough: Real Madrid, the Seville derby and then Valencia. Mad that Granada are top of the table, albeit having played a game more than the big two.

Valencia shot themselves in the foot against Osasuna with Rodrigo giving them the lead and then getting sent off for an elbow. Osasuna's LB Estupinan looked good going forward and scored a nice goal. He's on loan from Watford and they could do with him atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

It would be a crying shame if these clips weren't posted to this thread. Messi played one of the best games of football I've seen from him in years. If this was a PL player it would be plastered all over the front page, but frankly no one in the PL is capable of this, not even close.

https://streamja.com/nlRA

https://streamja.com/Aorn

https://streamable.com/ewuon

https://streamja.com/OWme

https://streamja.com/qlNV

Great to see Messi back to his best. Facing him at the Camp Nou is still the most daunting prospect in football.

Another draw for Atletico, this time against Alaves. Lucas Perez with a great hit:

https://twitter.com/alxhaka/status/1189269603710570500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

La liga really is a joke, Barca have the league won every year by October.
    And they were supposed to be "in crisis"

100% certain of winning la liga, and i'd say about 95% of UCL too - can't see any teams beating them in UCL either ..

TomSweeney wrote: »

100% certain of winning la liga, and i'd say about 95% of UCL too - can't see any teams beating them in UCL either ..

If Madrid win tonight they're 1 point behind Barca. Barca have Atletico and the Clasico to play in the next few games.

Barca, Madrid and Atletico have all won the league in the last 6 seasons. Same variety of winner there than the Premier League and more than Serie A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 combined in that timeframe.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    If Madrid win tonight they're 1 point behind Barca. Barca have Atletico and the Clasico to play in the next few games.

Barca, Madrid and Atletico have all won the league in the last 6 seasons. Same variety of winner there than the Premier League and more than Serie A, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 combined in that timeframe.
    :D

Yessssssss. Betis finally get a result after a long wait. They won 2-1, Fekir with the winner in the 91st minute, coolness personified to slot It home, what a player. Emerson was man of the match and got the first. Celta's goal was a penalty from Aspas.

I heard that last season too, especially after beating pool 3 0

It would be a crying shame if these clips weren't posted to this thread. Messi played one of the best games of football I've seen from him in years. If this was a PL player it would be plastered all over the front page, but frankly no one in the PL is capable of this, not even close.

https://streamja.com/nlRA

https://streamja.com/Aorn

https://streamable.com/ewuon

https://streamja.com/OWme

https://streamja.com/qlNV

Amazing stuff.

That 3rd clip, the nutmeg. Fantastic to watch, especially the reaction of the opposition number 10. He's probably a class footballer, who has embarrassed players himself, but made to look like a pub player by a legend.

Important win for Betis.

Surprised Sociedad lost at home to Levante. Portu hit the post late on.

Jovic got his first official Madrid goal as they thrashed bottom club Leganes 5-0. Benzema looked excellent from the brief highlights I saw. Interesting how many in-form top strikers atm are in their early thirties: Benzema (32 in December), Suarez (32), Vardy (32), Aguero (31), Lewandowski (31).

NIMAN wrote: »
    I heard that last season too, especially after beating pool 3 0
    L Pool won't hold the competition - that Real doing it was a total fluke - once a century stuff.

Man City will never win Europe with Pep as manager (he'll lie down for Barca if they face anyway)
    PSG - only appear good as they play in a farmers league.

Juventus ? - maybe

Done deal.

Aaaaaannnnyway, good goal from Villarreal's Moreno to move him top of the scoring charts.

https://twitter.com/Salcedo_Hugo/status/1189997857169985536

Didn't help his team on the night as they lost 2-1 at Eibar. Granada miss out on the chance to return to the top after they lost 3-1 at Getafe. From the highlights it looked like they were unlucky not to get a point.

Sevilla vs Atletico should be a good weekend game. 5th vs 4th there. Levante vs Barca could be an exciting one too. 17 goals in the last 3 games at Levante's ground between the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

L Pool won't hold the competition - that Real doing it was a total fluke - once a century stuff.

Man City will never win Europe with Pep as manager (he'll lie down for Barca if they face anyway)

Juventus ? - maybe

Done deal.

You sprout this Barca sh1te every year about the CL

Juventus ? - maybe

Done deal.

If I had to pick a team to win this year id for for man city.

Psg only good in their league? Real Madrid don't play in their league and they slaughtered them.

I agree, juve possibly.

Levante have beaten Barca 3-1. Great result for Paco Lopez's side. He has a good record against them.

Madrid can return to the top spot if they beat Betis later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,559 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Levante have beaten Barca 3-1. Great result for Paco Lopez's side. He has a good record against them.

Madrid can return to the top spot if they beat Betis later.

Valverde wont last much longer I'd say ,he is far too negative a manager.
    Barcelona were a shambles again today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Bad loss for Barca, them and Bayern could both be on the hunt for new managers soon

This could end up 5 or 6 nil.

I'm delighted with that result, 0-0 in the Bernabeu. Robles had a great game(played with one Contact lense in for the last 15 mins), Canales was excellent as well. Great result with the Sevilla derby Next weekend. I can't get over with how bad Madrid are though, no cohesion to their play and no Ronaldo to bail them out.

Barca will be feeling pretty relieved. Madrid held, Atletico and Sevilla drawing with one another. Could have found themselves third but they stay top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Had a look at the la liga results today, and only noticed how tight the table is...the top 5 are only separated buy 1pt, and the top 13 by only 5pts (barca 22pts, valencia 17pts). Barca and Madrid both have a game in hand, the missed clasico, but i cant remember any league being as tight a few months in

Sociedad up to third with their win over Granada. Portu took his goals well.

Athletic Club did well to get a clean sheet at Villarreal. Been impressed with their young keeper Unai Simon.

Nice moment for Everton loanee Sandro Ramirez with his first goal in 23 months. Not a bad strike:

https://twitter.com/FOOTBALLITKCOM/status/1190981785762648064

Messi hat-trick tonight against Celta Vigo in Barca's 4-1 win which takes him up to second in the scoring charts despite missing several games at the start of the season.

Benzema with two goals tonight for Madrid in their 4-0 win at Eibar, and he tops the scoring charts atm.

Two best players in the league for me.

• Advertisement

Sevilla win the Seville derby beating Betis 2-1. Maybe I'm being harsh on Joel Robles but thought he could have done better with Ocampos' opener which went through him. Ocampos has taken very well to La Liga. Think the current top four could well be there at the end of the season but I'd like to see Sociedad get 4th.

Ander Capa with a great volley for Athletic Bilbao in their win over Levante and he also made the opener. He's having a strong season.

Advertisement