Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat 5 or 5e wall plate

• 16-08-2019 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭

This might be a competitive completely stupid Q.

My house was built about 12yrs ago.
    Cat 5e was run from almost every room back to a central point.

Each room has a rj45 face plate, and at the central point, there is a corresponding Face plate for the cat5e running back from each room.

Now if I run a 5e cable from the modem to the face plate at the central location, the corresponding room will only register 50 to 75Mb on a speed test.

No run of cable is over 100m
    A small speed test over WiFi at the modem indicates 220Mbs +
    And the cable is coming from port1 on the modem (Giga port)

Is it possible that the rj45 socket is a cat5 spec instead of 5e

Or does such a thing exist. ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

No. Are you sure the device you're testing with has a gigabit port and not 100mbit? Has the router or switch you're connecting to also got a gigabit port?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

That speed could indicate that:
    1. At least one device on your network is only 100Mbps capable. As you confirmed router is 1Gbps, that leaves switch(hub!?!) or computer. Check network card capability.

2. Wiring on tested link is not done properly - wall plates only using x2 pairs(pins 1,2,3,6) instead all x4 pairs required for 1Gbps speeds. Remove corresponding plates and see if all x4 pairs punched in. Quick G search will show you pin-out, most common in use T-568B.

Also, check if Ethernet cable used for testing is using all x4 pairs, some old fashion/low quality cables had only x4 wires in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭mikeecho

No. Are you sure the device you're testing with has a gigabit port and not 100mbit? Has the router or switch you're connecting to also got a gigabit port?

Its the Eir F2000 , and i'm using port 1

Just plugged a Cat5e directly froma wall plate to my Macbook and the Network utility states Link Speed: 1Gbit/S

That speed could indicate that:
    1. At least one device on your network is only 100Mbps capable. As you confirmed router is 1Gbps, that leaves switch(hub!?!) or computer. Check network card capability.

The switch is 10/100/1000 , i still have the box

Its a TP-Link , TL-SG105 Gigabit switch

Also, check if Ethernet cable used for testing is using all x4 pairs, some old fashion/low quality cables had only x4 wires in them.

Checked that, have used a few different cables, just to be sure.

2. Wiring on tested link is not done properly - wall plates only using x2 pairs(pins 1,2,3,6) instead all x4 pairs required for 1Gbps speeds. Remove corresponding plates and see if all x4 pairs punched in. Quick G search will show you pin-out, most common in use T-568B.

This is probably the issue, I'll check it out over the coming days.

Thanks to all.

I'll give an update when i get around to checking the wiring in the wall plates.

Does the PC you're testing with also have a gigabit port?

• Advertisement

Does the PC you're testing with also have a gigabit port?

Yes.

The network info, when connected via ethernet states 1Gbit/s

Ok..

So I decided to do the whole
    "Have you tried turning it off and on again"

I turned off the trip switch.. waited 60 sec.

Turned the power back on.. waited for everything in the house to boot back up.

Then ran the same test.. and I'm getting 220Mbs (300Mbs line)

So.. looks like I'm sorted

On a side note.
    The eir f2000 only has 1 Giga port.

If I was to put a 8 or 16 unmanaged switch off this port, distribute the signal around the house, but at various wall plates, install another 5 port switch or two, would this have any ill effects ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

mikeecho wrote: »
    On a side note.

If I was to put a 8 or 16 unmanaged switch off this port, distribute the signal around the house, but at various wall plates, install another 5 port switch or two, would this have any ill effects ?

All ports on the F2000 are gigabit. Adding additional switches should not have any ill effects

Nope, there is no problem daisy chaining switches, switches and access points extend networks whereas a router joins networks

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help guys.

I'm clueless when it comes to networks.

I also managed to increase the speed to my smart TV , which only has a 100Mb card, by disabling the adblocker.

On a side note.

All ports on the F2000 are /b]gigabit. [Adding additional switches should not have any ill effects

Are you sure

Are you sure

I'm using two of them in my home network.

Are you sure

I'm using two of them in my home network.

Ok.. that's makes life simpler.
    I'll just put one switch off the f2000 and run cables from port 2 to 4.

It'll mean that 2 outta 9 Ethernet sockets around the house won't be connected, but ,I can live with that.

Next project.. mesh

I'm sure I'll be back here for some help.

(Looking at the BT whole home ax3700) probably overkill, but it's nice to be future proof, just like when I installed 5e 12yrs ago, I was told that cat5 would be more than enough...I mean who needs 100Mb. ;) Let alone 1Gb

Mesh is wireless backhaul. You have cables, you don't need mesh.

Have a look at Ubiquiti Unifi access points
    https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

Mesh is wireless backhaul. You have cables, you don't need mesh.

Have a look at Ubiquiti Unifi access points
    https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

But I haven't a clue about networks, and I don't want a load of different AP's , having to constantly switch between networks.

I was gonna get that BT system, and use the 5e as back haul for some of the discs.
    Yet maintaing one SSID

Also, the position of the eir modem is in an awful place, a small room surrounded by concrete on all sides.
    It's not ideal for WiFi coverage, but I had every TV, Sat, CCTV and ethernet cable run back to this single point.
    It's a complete web of cables,but keeps the mess in one location.

A lot of the mesh systems can do Ethernet backhaul now making it sometimes cheaper and simpler for the end user who isn't particularly familiar with the intricacies of networking.

But I haven't a clue about networks, and I don't want a load of different AP's , having to constantly switch between networks.

I was gonna get that BT system, and use the 5e as back haul for some of the discs.
    Yet maintaing one SSID

Also, the position of the eir modem is in an awful place, a small room surrounded by concrete on all sides

Mesh is just a buzz word. If you link those BT with a wired connection they'll be access points not mesh ;)

If you name access point the same and your devices will roam seamlessly. I'm already doing it here

Yet maintaing one SSID

Also, the position of the eir modem is in an awful place, a small room surrounded by concrete on all sides

Mesh is just a buzz word. If you link those BT with a wired connection they'll be access points not mesh ;)

If you name access point the same and your devices will roam seamlessly. I'm already doing it here

I didn't know that.
    There's a lot I don't know

I didn't know that.
    There's a lot I don't know

If you're looking for plug and play look into Netgear Orbi, they are very decent and easy to setup
    https://www.netgear.com/orbi/

I've not heard much about those BT, but Netgear make some great networking products. Disable wireless completely on the F2000 and go all in with Orbi in the best locations to cover your house

• Advertisement

Then ran the same test.. and I'm getting 220Mbs (300Mbs line)
    I thought you troubleshooting LAN issue. Internet speed depend on ISP/contract and server against witch you do test. But once you happy, all good.

Nope, there is no problem daisy chaining switches, switches and access points extend networks whereas a router joins networks
    Agree that OP should not face "ill effects", however, i will point that other 4 devices connected to TL-SG105 will share that single 1Gb link to router. Daisy chaining would have negative effect on bigger scale networks
    Next project.. mesh
    My personal opinion - laughable marketing gimmick, and surprise! - people falling for it.
    Ask yourself: what is mesh and what is its purpose?
    When ISP have network covering town, country or continent, ISP have contracts and liability to provide service by them contracts, this is where ISP take steps to assure that, if one link between Dublin and Sligo is down, ISP have alternative routes to continue provide service to required level.
    "Implementing" such measures at consumer level makes me smile.
    Either you install sufficient AP's to cover area or you have "black spots". Do you have 100 rooms, and if network is down in bathroom #13 you get €1M fine. If you have one link down, you go and sort it within next couple days without fear to be sued, for not providing service that you promised to your wife/family :D
    https://computer.howstuffworks.com/how-wireless-mesh-networks-work.htm

The BT system seems simple to setup.
    And I've kinda my heart set on it.

I'll experiment with using my current ap with the same ssid.

Do all AP's need to be in the same freq/Ch ?

(Again . I'm a noob)

The BT system seems simple to setup.
    And I've kinda my heart set on it.

I'll experiment with using my current ap with the same ssid.

Do all AP's need to be in the same freq/Ch ?

(Again . I'm a noob)
    Same SSID, password
    Different channel

Any of these wireless systems would be a huge improvement on a poorly placed f2000 but take a word of advice since you have gigabit Ethernet throughout your house use it for everything static, TVs, media players, consoles, IP cameras etc and keep wireless for mobility for the devices that actually need mobility. You can easily add a switch at any Ethernet point if you need to.

Advertisement