Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for mounting a Sky Dish

• 16-08-2019 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,214 ✭✭✭✭

Seemingly Sky won't put a dish on the wall of my new house, something to do with the insulation in the wall (according to other people buying in the same estate)

My house also does not have a retaining wall, as far as I can see, so putting the dish on that doesn't look like it will be an option either.

Can a Sky dish by mounted on a Shed, if so - do I need a specific type of shed, or shed with a specific roof type?

Are there any other options that people would suggest?

I would also guess any such installation would not be standard, so would I need to hire an independent installer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,283 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The direction it must face is what you need to factor in first, you may have options with the shed to mount a pole on the wall and have it facing another direction.

Have a look on Dishpointer.com with your address to see what way it should be pointed...
    https://www.dishpointer.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,214 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The direction it must face is what you need to factor in first, you may have options with the shed to mount a pole on the wall and have it facing another direction.

Have a look on Dishpointer.com with your address to see what way it should be pointed...
    https://www.dishpointer.com/

would be getting pointed away from the back of the house - south east. Garden is East South East facing. So I guess the shed in one corner of the garden, with the dish somehow mounted on it facing away is what i would be looking at.

Annoying that Sky won't put it on the wall. If you can put a gutter pipe on the wall why not a dish. seems odd.

It looks like there are concrete poles in the fencing at the back of the garden (With a retaining wall on the other side, a few feet lower down than the top of the fence). Don't know if they would mount it to the concrete post - it would have to be mounted at the top and pointed, essentially, in the direction of the house behind - may not be allowed to overlook like that, I don't know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

would be getting pointed away from the back of the house - south east. Garden is East South East facing. So I guess the shed in one corner of the garden, with the dish somehow mounted on it facing away is what i would be looking at.

Annoying that Sky won't put it on the wall. If you can put a gutter pipe on the wall why not a dish. seems odd.

It looks like there are concrete poles in the fencing at the back of the garden (With a retaining wall on the other side, a few feet lower down than the top of the fence). Don't know if they would mount it to the concrete post - it would have to be mounted at the top and pointed, essentially, in the direction of the house behind - may not be allowed to overlook like that, I don't know)

You can put the dish on the ground if you wish and it will work fine.
    The main requirement is that it has a clear line of sight to the satellite position.
    Take account of new trees being grown by neighbours over the next few years.

Would you consider having a mounting pole pre-fitted to the rear of the house, so that the Sky techs only have to clamp to that to mount the dish? Similar to providing a pole anywhere else.
    something to do with the insulation in the wall
    Generally speaking, Sky will not interfere with the insulation ... which would be an external wrap of insulation, rather than cavity filled insulation.
    If you have cavity insulation they could mount the dish themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,268 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Generally speaking, Sky will not interfere with the insulation ... which would be an external wrap of insulation, rather than cavity filled insulation.
    Spot on. Id be reasonably sure that the OP has EWI (external wall insulation) fitted hence the reason why the installers wont go near it.

@ Mitch Connor, if you contact whatever company supplied and fitted the insulation and ask them to design a suitable bracket with precise fitting instructions in order to maintain the integrity of the EWI or if you engage a design engineer yourself you might be able to come up with an appropriate bracket. Its unlikely though as no one wants to leave themselves open to a claim. Even if it is possible you may well find that the Sky installers will still not go near it.

You can put the dish on the ground if you wish and it will work fine.
    The main requirement is that it has a clear line of sight to the satellite position.
    Take account of new trees being grown by neighbours over the next few years.

Would you consider having a mounting pole pre-fitted to the rear of the house, so that the Sky techs only have to clamp to that to mount the dish? Similar to providing a pole anywhere else.

When you say mounting pole pre-fitted, do you mean attached to the house itself or some pole concreted in to the ground?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Do you have a thing called a chimney or not fitted? options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

There is a mounting bracket for dish ontoexternal wall insulation. It basically sits flush with finished wall but has legs that sit onto the solid wall underneath and is bolts through to solid.
    I'd put in on the shed but then you need to think about cabling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

greasepalm wrote: »

I had in mind getting something like one of these fitted prior to having Sky come out to fit their gear.
    That has the added benefit of you determining where it should be positioned having sussed out clear line of sight to the satellite and how the cables should be routed from the dish into the premises.
    The Cush wrote: »

Get someone local and reliable to do the fitting if not comfortable or prepared to do it yourself.

greasepalm wrote: »

Nope. No chimney, don't have a fire.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »

excellent, will have a look into getting someone in the biz to fit this where it makes the most sense. Cheers.

Is it possible to get a sat installer to install dish lnbs and cables and route them or would sky say no we have to use our own if going for skyq which is a different lnb.? depends what user wants to view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Rippy

Yes, sky installer will not care as long as there is a signal . he will be grateful for a quick job !
    Any reputable independent will fit a dish with a Q or hybrid LNB .
    I personally only fit solid dishes as sky dishes are crap!

What size dish would you do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,435 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sky dishes are so bad. I used to keep a stock of them just to keep 4 or 5 family houses going.
    12 months max here beside the sea before they were worse for wear.
    Went for triax dish for our own and it looks like a life time job. Not a hint of rust after about 6 years.

mickdw wrote: »
    Sky dishes are so bad. I used to keep a stock of them just to keep 4 or 5 family houses going.
    12 months max here beside the sea before they were worse for wear.
    Went for triax dish for our own and it looks like a life time job. Not a hint of rust after about 6 years.

How easy is it to get someone other than sky to set stuff up, and then get sky to turn it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

How easy is it to get someone other than sky to set stuff up, and then get sky to turn it on?

A local independent installer should have no problem installing dish and running the necessary cabling, just another job for them. As Rippy posted above the Sky installer will be delighted not to have to do the donkey work. The local installer may not have the external wall insulation sat dish fitting plate so you having that having that would be helpful and depending on the depth of insulation extension tubes

If the installer is unfamiliar with EWI point him in the direction of the tech info page on the Swifix website

Also while the installer is there run any additional cabling to other rooms if required

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭skinny90

Sorry to bump this thread, purchased a new build ( ICF )

we are the last phase and I noticed no one has sky satellites in the estate.

there due to come out this Thursday but judging from the comments they won’t install the dish?

Advertisement