Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future cuts at RTE ?

• 17-08-2019 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Dee Forbes has mentioned in a few interviews that a *review" is going on at RTE and staff and the public will be informed this autumn. Any predictions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

The wastage to be cleared out and an end to nepotism?

Nah :D

Just cut funding for home grown programming again so the Government will feel pressured into pumping more money in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Dee Forbes has mentioned in a few interviews that a *review" is going on at RTE and staff and the public will be informed this autumn. Any predictions?

its just a fudge she trots out to get through an interview .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

My prediction is outsourcing. Most departments will be outsourced. And a very small chance of compulsory redundancy. However, The new CFO will be in early next year so it will be interesting to see what he\she will do?
    Someone has to start swinging the hatchet soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Maybe pay the "Talent" more realistic salaries...Tubs is the first salary I'd be looking to reduce by at least 60%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

RTÉ don't know where to cut. Here we have an organisation that has ringfenced funding to 2fm, no cuts to that service so far, while giving them 5m per year from the licence fee.

No cuts to Corp HQ, another 5m per year from the licence fee.

Ringfencing imported programming to the tune of 25m per year.

Cut back 2fm by 5m, Corp HQ by 5m and imports by 10m you have a saving of 20m, or money that could be better used else were in the organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Maybe pay the "Talent" more realistic salaries...Tubs is the first salary I'd be looking to reduce by at least 60%

That's still 260k a year which is 3-4x too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Cuts will do nothing, the place is rotten to the core and I know that from people who work there now as well as people who were in there on contract. There is a culture of a lot of employees doing as little as possible, with little to no repercussions for failure or non performance.

The Secret Producer mentioned the situation with the camera men and the ridiculous notion that 2 qualified cameramen need to be employed to use one camera, this is typical of what's going on in there and this will not be changed.

The overpaid top earners are only the public example that we know about, the rest earn no differently. Any attempt to clean up the place or reduce inefficiency are met with full opposition from the unions and putting in extra effort will very often do nothing for you as connected people get promoted quicker than good people.

It's rotting from the inside out, has been for a very long time, that's the problem and Dee Forbes will not fix it .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

They waste an insane amount of money and over **** all in return. Get rid of 2fm, 5 million saved a year, it offers nothing that commercial stations don't. Slash the obscene wages and even get rid of a few of them altogether. And they should be told once and for all to eliminate the nepotism. It's like a job club for well connected D4s. I'm not sure their current management is capable of doing that or even wants to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Quite simply put, the "stars" (notice the small "s") should have massive pay cuts. As they are not directly employed by RTE and are contractors, this should be easy to do.

If they don't like it, send them to the free market and see what else they will be offered. There will be many others only too happy to step in and host these "highly talented" positions.

I understand the need for all to have a living wage but there has to be proper spending "value" in RTE and the contracts being given to certain people are outrageously generous.

My own personal view is that RTE should be simply cut off from the public funding. There should be enough in the private advertising revenue generated to fund RTE, the generous cushion of the TV license causes waste on a monumental level.

Cut your cloth to suit your measure is the old adage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

KevRossi wrote: »
    Cuts will do nothing, the place is rotten to the core and I know that from people who work there now as well as people who were in there on contract. There is a culture of a lot of employees doing as little as possible, with little to no repercussions for failure or non performance.

The Secret Producer mentioned the situation with the camera men and the ridiculous notion that 2 qualified cameramen need to be employed to use one camera, this is typical of what's going on in there and this will not be changed.

The overpaid top earners are only the public example that we know about, the rest earn no differently. Any attempt to clean up the place or reduce inefficiency are met with full opposition from the unions and putting in extra effort will very often do nothing for you as connected people get promoted quicker than good people.

It's rotting from the inside out, has been for a very long time, that's the problem and Dee Forbes will not fix it .

MOD: Post deleted, personal attacks are not allowed here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,922 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Okay, while cuts at RTE (if any - I think the OP is being purely speculative) are fair game to discuss, we are getting into discussing named individuals who are not here to defend themselves. Thread closed, but OP feel free to repost and we can have the discussion again without talking about individuals

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement