Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should I use a Registered Electrical Contractor?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I've had a routine RECI inspection before where the RECI Inspector selected the installation. I got a clear inspection with no breaches. I have no difficulty with the concept of RECI choosing which job to see.

We know you wouldnt have too many problems at this stage. If that was the norm (regular RECI selected inspections) then it would be a positive.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As I said, personally I'm all for random inspections.

Agreed, in some cases access may be an issue but most people would appreciate a free independent inspection of their electrical installation.

In the main we seem to be in agreement on this point.

I would be interested in your response to this:
    Admittedly I only work in the industrial sector but in the last 10 years I have seen zero surprise RECI inspections and zero scheduled inspections. Does that sound acceptable to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Qelres.

I did the verification and certification course

It was good but they should be failing half not letting everyone through like they do in the training courses

The problem with electrical apprenticeships was always that a lot of them are dumb as a box of rocks and you literally couldn't teach them anything

There needs to be proper guides to the wiring rules and installation work same as the UK

Also a lot of the rules are basic and not comprehensive enough

Qelres. wrote: »

The problem with electrical apprenticeships was always that a lot of them are dumb as a box of rocks and you literally couldn't teach them anything

It's a funny one,
    I know a lad that is literally thick as **** and is qualified .
    He actually had to pay a sparky to fit a time clock in his own house :rolleyes:
    Thankfully he's not in the trade anymore.
    On the other hand I know some lads that are great on the tools and know their stuff but really struggled to get past phase 6.
    Granted its 10+ years since I was an apprentice but from what I've heard they are getting thicker every year.
    Probably something to do with smartphones :D
    too much 5g

I haven't done the testing and vericaifican course but I've heard its a like the safe pass.Cant be failed :confused:

• Advertisement

It's a funny one,
    On the other hand I know some lads that are great on the tools and know their stuff but really struggled to get past phase 6.
    Granted its 10+ years since I was an apprentice but from what I've heard they are getting thicker every year.
    too much 5g

I haven't done the testing and vericaifican course but I've heard its a like the safe pass.Cant be failed :confused:

A lot of them must be getting shocks at work or something

It always amazes me how dumb most electricians are

A lot of them must be getting shocks at work or something

It always amazes me how dumb most electricians are

Anything more than 3 wires and its game over :D

It's a funny one,
    too much 5g

Ya its multiple choice and you can use the rules in the exam
    The practical you can't really fail it either

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There needs to be proper guides to the wiring rules and installation work same as the UK

I think that the current rules are very clear.
    What is not “proper” about them in your view?
    Also a lot of the rules are basic and not comprehensive enough

Can you provide any examples?

Ya its multiple choice and you can use the rules in the exam

I assume that is only partially multiple choice?
    Or is it an entire subject?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

2011 wrote: »
    As I said, personally I'm all for random inspections.

Agreed, in some cases access may be an issue but most people would appreciate a free independent inspection of their electrical installation.

In the main we seem to be in agreement on this point.

I would be interested in your response to this:
    Admittedly I only work in the industrial sector but in the last 10 years I have seen zero surprise RECI inspections and zero scheduled inspections. Does that sound acceptable to you?
    Not clear what we're talking about here e.g. installation or maintenance; whether they're with RECI; whether they're working at other sites/factories etc.

Not clear what we're talking about here e.g. installation or maintenance; whether they're with RECI; whether they're working at other sites/factories etc.

Sorry.
    Industrial installation projects over a 10 year period, all contractors are RECI. Some projects were green field some were brown.

Advertisement