Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will my PSU cut it?

Options
  • 17-08-2019 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

I got a great deal on a second hand 1660Ti which has prompted me to start upgrading my rig.

I currently have (about 6 years old, never had any issues):
    i5 3570
    GTX 760
    ASrock Z77 Pro
    8 GB DDR3 1600Mhz
    1x SATA SSD
    1x HDD
    530W PSU (80+ Gold)

I'm thinking about moving to something like:

Ryzen 5 3600
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    Adding an M.2 SSD

I'd like to carry over components if possible (case, storage etc) and was wondering if I'd need a new PSU. I've looked at a few online calculators which estimate power draw for my intended build at ~400W under load but then go on to recommend a 650W PSU. I'm not intending to overclock at the moment.

Would it be better to just upgrade the lot and try to sell the old machine as a complete system given that it's pretty much a complete gutting already? As above this wouldn't be my preference but any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The PSU is fine for either, though worth replacing if warranty is nearly up.

Advertisement