Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Have Taken Over Carrickphierish Road...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Has that not been the case for decades now?
    Has there been any great improvement in their acceptance of society and its laws?
    Bigotry is certainly not going to change anything anyway only reinforces the division.

I take that as a 'no' then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I think there needs to be more emphasis on traveller education. Most traveller kids drop out by 16 years old. They're really needs to be a liason with their parents to keep their kids in school.

I'd imagine at this stage, we probably should accept, our educational system simply doesn't work for them, if we want them to engage in it, we ll have to change it to suit, this change might also help ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

I think there needs to be more emphasis on traveller education. Most traveller kids drop out by 16 years old. They're really needs to be a liason with their parents to keep their kids in school.

Wasn't there a scheme whereby teachers would visit traveller caravan sites and provide tuition to the children there? Whatever happened to this scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Wasn't there a scheme whereby teachers would visit traveller caravan sites and provide tuition to the children there? Whatever happened to this scheme?

I'm sure there was a perfectly good reason why it stopped, would you like to be going to work on Halting sites everyday??

A long post coming up here. Apols in advance.

If even one person agrees/ concurs then I'm happy (or at least not mad/delusional :pac:)

I'm putting it out there, coming from a "conspiracy theory"/ the pessimist in me side.

Someone (many perhaps) saw the winds of change coming a long time ago. I'll come back to this later...

A lot of this post is only opinion and perhaps incorrect or some ignorance on my part but I believe in the main mainly true and has some substance (not exactly original thinking I'm putting forth as I'm sure - I'd like to think so anyway :pac: - many probably think/feel the same) but I just want to go off on one a tad to get it off my chest - a rant if you will.

Were travellers ever registered in the "system", say going back 50/60 yrs when social welfare came about and would they have been able to claim it then? I know a lot of them, and this is pretty well documented, were never registered in the Births system but presumably only Baptised in the Church.

So back then they were able to eke out a living/existence through doing odd jobs/tinkering/seasonal type farm work/carnivals & funfairs etc and calling door to door seeking alms; in simpler times if you want to call it that.

They pretty much lived and operated outside the law then and co-existed I guess with ordinary folk without much hassle and to an extent they were respectful/respected, while not being entirely trusted.

My point, after that long preamble is this:
    I think they should have been let have at it in regards to how they lived, in that they could park up their caravans on the side of the road where room provided and also a few purpose built halting sites which would be on them to maintain, being that they were what, for want of a better word would have been considered "Outlaws", but at the same time NOT criminals (in the main).

But no - the 1980s came and almost every household had a car/tractor/lawnmower or at least access to usage of same by loan from a neighbour..

Not much need for off the books/ casual labourers then. And from the 1990s onwards even less so.
    Then the Travellers would have had to voluntarily "come into the fold" or else..
    starve - literally. They no longer served any useful purpose to the average Joe or Josephine. No more work or alms or the bare minimum at best.
    The 20th century/ industrial revolution had landed. The Traveller "Business model" would - through technology - be defunct.

But no, sometime around the 1980s houses were built for them and many "settled" and many didn't thereby creating a sort of Limbo or lacuna (a popular word nowadays among politicians and that sort) to allow for what happened recently which was granting them "ethnic status" to the detriment of the majority of this Country; either directly - which needn't be again mentioned - or indirectly through their sophistry/siphoning off the system through various kinds of frauds mainly Social Welfare and Insurance.

So they were allowed to operate in both societies/ "cultures" simultaneously - live in a house, don't live in a house; go to school, don't go to school; claim (multiple?) Social Welfare with no obligation to seek employment; get married at whatever age they liked, as young as 15 probably.

So going back to the fourth para (the winds of change and whatnot) my questions are: Why? Qui Bono?

Why were they not let have at their 2 or so centuries old lifestyle?
    Did someone back in the day see some way of coining it in or was there some other/another motive(s)/motivation(s) at play?

Like I said - just a rant mainly but I'm very curious to know who was behind that "1963 Itineracy report" that Mr Collins never fails to mention and what was their stated (or other) motivation/s at the time.

Thanks for reading whether you agree or not.

I wish someone else wrote this so I could thank it because :P and also :( but mainly :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Back in the 50s & 60s the travellers pulled in on private lands and proceeded to destroy the area with scrap and other rubbish, and then moved on. Not a lot has changed from what little interaction I have with them.

If the land owner back then wanted to complain nobody really helped and it only brought the ire of the encampment down upon him and his holding. A lot of damage can be done at night by very few.

The only success I know about from that era concerned a relation of mine who had land beside which they camped.
    They made his life hell for a while ..... and it was very hard without them.
    So he faced them one day ..... wielding an iron bar ...... and cracked a few bones in his stand.
    He told me later that the only thing they 'respected' was physical force, so he resorted to it.
    I will say here that he was one tough hombre himself, so was best suited to the action he took. Most of us would not be.

They stayed some years after that and not one further bit of trouble did he have. If any stepped out of line he told the 'boss' or whatever he was called, and things were put right.

He even traded with them .... buying a couple of working horses from them.

I do not recall who moved first ... them or him :)

About your 'rant' ..... society progressed from the 50s (nearly 70 years ago) but they apparently didn't.
    Our education, jobs, living conditions, health, comfort etc etc all improved.
    That they stayed behind is, for a large part, due to their own action/inaction, or inability to accept that things were changing.
    Now their halting sites are like a throwback to 100 years ago ...... no respect for the environment or it seems for just about anything else.

There were still a few travelling 'tinkers' and odd-job families travelling about.
    Many were trusted and employed too; fed and given a place to stay for a couple of days even when no work was available.
    Those 'older' (true) travellers/tinkers were few and far between by the 1960s, still using non-motorised transport.

So, no, I don't have a lot of sympathy for them as a 'class' of people. Certainly some are deserving of all the help that can be drummed up, but the rest drag the lot down.

..... too long .....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I came over the Carrigpheris road today and was held up in a traffic jam caused by two sulkies trotting side by side, they hadn't the decency to trot single file and let the traffic pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

The Carrickphierrish road is their playground. They "own" that road. They can do what they like. And they do just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Not on FB, hope all the occupants of the cars are okay and whoever is at fault is brought to book.

• Advertisement

Not on FB, hope all the occupants of the cars are okay and whoever is at fault is brought to book.

From reading the comments the people are ok and also the horse,the traveller fled the scene when it happened!

From reading the comments the people are ok and also the horse,the traveller fled the scene when it happened!

:D:D
    Some quality comments then, and a v funny summation from yourself; ta

An 8.2 on the lol scale, just the tonic on a dreary day

:pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Shur ets dur culchur

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

4 cars damaged. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

4 cars damaged. Jesus.

Yip, what gets me more than anything is that they can take over the roads and cause mayhem like today and get away Scott free but some kid driving his car and obeying the rules but driving on a provisional gets pulled over and has his car confiscated, sickens me

4 cars damaged. Jesus.

181 Audi that looks like a write off,the owner will have to claim of their own insurance most likely,its absolutely crazy and thankfully nobody was hurt including the horse...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

The horse has now been euthanized according to Waterford Animal Welfare.

Watch how the scumbag involved won't even be arrested or charged with anything either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

The horse has now been euthanized according to Waterford Animal Welfare.

Watch how the scumbag involved won't even be arrested or charged with anything either.

https://www.waterfordlive.ie/news/home/513827/no-arrests-after-sulky-collides-with-four-cars-in-waterford.html

:mad: Of course not.

Investigations are ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Someone worked hard to pay for their car only to have some dirty animal (not talking about the horse) make shìt of it because they can't behave like normal decent civilians

• Advertisement

How long is this going to happen? are they waiting for a member of the public to be killed? This has gone on far too long and should be banned completely from our public roads. Can't believe in 2020 we still have to put up with this f**cking crap. This is a poor indictment of our society that we allow this to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

DT talking about this on WLR now.

DT talking about this on WLR now.

And he spent half the time excortiating the woman from Deise Animal Sanctuary who are the ones who are actually dealing with it. Saying why aren't you going into the sites with the Garda etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yes!

I suppose a Traveller spokesperson was out of the question. The Garda with ARU's if needed should just go in and remove every horse and buggy

How long is this going to happen? are they waiting for a member of the public to be killed? This has gone on far too long and should be banned completely from our public roads. Can't believe in 2020 we still have to put up with this f**cking crap. This is a poor indictment of our society that we allow this to happen.

"We" don't have much of a say alas :(

It's the Government, NGOs and the powers that be; all of whom are on the gravy train, that not only ignore this behaviour, but also, through various methods and means - minorities/hate speech/excuses allowed in mitigation - poor background, culture, addiction, bisexual etc etc etc - facilitate its continuing.

A man can't even defend himself in his home and his property without going to jail for it.

Padraig is a national treasure.

Not enough of his like around unfortunately.

It's a sad indictment when criminals can operate with impunity and the victims are often ignored and sometimes themselves treated like criminals :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

It's a sad indictment when criminals can operate with impunity and the victims are often ignored and sometimes themselves treated like criminals :mad:
    A truer word was never said.The law abider has no right's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Remember Eamon Quinlan, the Fianna Fail cllr, when we discuss this topic. He was asked about the Carrickpherish road, and the nest of travellers living there, and his response was, "I live in the area". He doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,600 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Excuse my laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

Remember Eamon Quinlan, the Fianna Fail cllr, when we discuss this topic. He was asked about the Carrickpherish road, and the nest of travellers living there, and his response was, "I live in the area". He doesn't.

Eamon Quinlan is only a tea boy for the Fianna fail party.i wouldn't even take him series as a councillor in the city.he tries to say things that are populist amongst people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Deiselurker

Another incident yesterday with an 11 year old going home from school hit by a pellet gunshot. The culprits were young according to Cllr Joe Kelly on WLR and they ran into the traveller encampment before the Gardai came. It's no wonder people object to traveller housing in their areas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement