Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Have Taken Over Carrickphierish Road...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

I think people should remember those who have already bought homes in the area and who are trying to make a life there and perhaps be a little bit more restrained in their comments. The carry on of the travelling community there is disgraceful and responsibility lies completely with the local authority who have completely failed the settled community in the area. That must be tackled to allow the suburb develop properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

azimuth17 wrote: »
    I think people should remember those who have already bought homes in the area and who are trying to make a life there and perhaps be a little bit more restrained in their comments. The carry on of the travelling community there is disgraceful and responsibility lies completely with the local authority who have completely failed the settled community in the area. That must be tackled to allow the suburb develop properly.

In fairness the responsibility lies with travellers up there as well to act like normal citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

azimuth17 wrote: »

What are the council going to do? Send a letter to the travellers "please stop been scumbags". The cops need to hammering them on everything they do that's illegal. The CAB need more powers to use agenst them to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

What are the council going to do? Send a letter to the travellers "please stop been scumbags". The cops need to hammering them on everything they do that's illegal. The CAB need more powers to use agenst them to.

...we got out just in time I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Nobody has issues with anyone living in their approved house, sites or whatever it may be but we all need to abide by the same laws. If the laws are respected then don't expect to be treated with any care or compassion, that goes for settled or travelling communities. There's loads of examples where settled and travelling communities life side by side with no issues, nobody puts in or out on anybody. Both sides can live in harmony if they both want to but wanting to is the big issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

They could introduce bye laws to ban sulky racing for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

hardybuck wrote: »

Kilkenny have done that I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The other thing the council could do is enforce litter laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Who owns the stubble field opposite them? I notice they are starting to destroy that now too.

Azatadine wrote: »
    Who owns the stubble field opposite them? I notice they are starting to destroy that now too.

Dunno but they are making new bays there to I believe, the place is going to be packed with bays. Hopefully it's peaceful and respected, that's all ppl ask for as there is other people and families living in the area who respect the laws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

More and more towns and villages are impacted by travellers but no party wants to help .
    If your a traveller you will never be expected to work and have welfare for life . Many travellers top up this welfare through crime , personal injury claims etc etc and are better off than their neighbours without ever having to get up for work . Property prices near areas where travellers act in a lawless way are only going to go one way . You can buy houses for 40k in some of the more impacted towns and villages . Nobody seems to care about the law abiding people anymore .

Dunno but they are making new bays there to I believe, the place is going to be packed with bays. Hopefully it's peaceful and respected, that's all ppl ask for as there is other people and families living in the area who respect the laws.

They should all be bulldozed out of there. Instead they are adding more. No way it would happen out the Dunmore Road way.

Azatadine wrote: »
    They should all be bulldozed out of there. Instead they are adding more. No way it would happen out the Dunmore Road way.

Its the travellers fault and there's alone. If ya can't live like respectable people it's there own fault.every incident should be reported to the guards until they have so much paperwork it can't be ignored . I feel more incidents are reported here than to the guards
    Maybe should vote in local councillors that can help the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

hardybuck wrote: »

They could start with a road sign saying no sulky racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭corks finest

debok wrote: »
    Its the travellers fault and there's alone. If ya can't live like respectable people it's there own fault.every incident should be reported to the guards until they have so much paperwork it can't be ignored . I feel more incidents are reported here than to the guards
    Maybe should vote in local councillors that can help the area.

Gardai are worse than useless ref travellers,,, FFS they've destroyed Ellis's yard in Cork City for umpteen years collecting rubbish and dumping / burning in situ , council cleans it city gets the bill, near 250,000 at the last count,Pavee point remains quiet,,pS to threatened gardai/ council/ private security- no prosecutions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This was discussed on DT this morning, not sure if I heard anything to really give me hope of a quick turnaround.

www.wlrfm.com

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Travellers on WLRFM this morning...some joke..."I have 10 kids, he has 5, he has 6...cousins will be down for the summer they have 12 children, they need a house, give us this, give us that, givus givus givus"

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Travellers on WLRFM this morning...some joke..."I have 10 kids, he has 5, he has 6...give us this, give us that, givus givus givus"

Shur ets dur culchur

Travellers on WLRFM this morning...some joke..."I have 10 kids, he has 5, he has 6...cousins will be down for the summer they have 12 children, they need a house, give us this, give us that, givus givus givus"

Everyone is entitled to be looked after but when ppl constantly take take take and not fall into line with laws then there's an issue. Everyone else has to change. Again it's not every traveller, I have alot of traveller lads who I get on great with, look after their kids and contribute hugely to the general community with sports etc. They are left down by the scumbags which we all have in our society. Anyone who doesn't obey the law needs to be punished weather settled or in travelling communities. It'll never be resolved if one side doesn't give way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

There was a fair bit of that yeah, no surprise really, it's always someone elses fault, never the parents who leave their kids do anything they like or show good example to said kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

Everyone is entitled to be looked after but when ppl constantly take take take and not fall into line with laws then there's an issue. Everyone else has to change. Again it's not every traveller, I have alot of traveller lads who I get on great with, look after their kids and contribute hugely to the general community with sports etc. They are left down by the scumbags which we all have in our society. Anyone who doesn't obey the law needs to be punished weather settled or in travelling communities. It'll never be resolved if one side doesn't give way.

I agree with this somewhat, but I find it difficult to put all responsibility on society to provide the means for travellers to conduct their culture regardless if it's within the confines of our laws. If they want their culture respected within our society, they should root out the "bad apples" as I think all sides agree that not all travellers are bad. Imagine if a group of travellers publicly voiced their disapproval against some of the bad apples up on Carrickpherish Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I agree with this somewhat, but I find it difficult to put all responsibility on society to provide the means for travellers to conduct their culture regardless if it's within the confines of our laws. If they want their culture respected within our society, they should root out the "bad apples" as I think all sides agree that not all travellers are bad. Imagine if a group of travellers publicly voiced their disapproval against some of the bad apples up on Carrickpherish Road?

Yeah I did imagine it ...... and the result was not pleasant!

If I had that many kids and me cousins wanted to call with another 12 I think I'd tell them to fack off there's no room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 KingOfTheFeek

WE LOVE THE FEEKIN SHER WAT ELSE ARE WE SOPOSEED TO DO WHEN YOU SETTLED PEOPLE DENY US EVERYTHING

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

See they threw out a couple of stinking mattresses on the side of the road up there a while back. Still there waiting for someone to clean it up for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

WE LOVE THE FEEKIN SHER WAT ELSE ARE WE SOPOSEED TO DO WHEN YOU SETTLED PEOPLE DENY US EVERYTHING

:D:D:D

Been talking about this for 30 minutes now. I'll post up the podcast later.

Talking to a fella who was caught up in that multi-sulky crash on the ring road (?)

• Advertisement

Passed by there yesterday and I see that they have moved a bunch more caravans into the area between the original halting site and the newer Southfork site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement