Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Have Taken Over Carrickphierish Road...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Azatadine wrote: »
    They've taken over that entire road. Disgraceful how that road has been handed over to them. Fecking portaloos on the side of the road even. Jesus.

The reason that they've been allowed to form their ghetto there I'd guess is so that they will stat away from the other side of town.

What about Williamstown? That's other side

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

debok wrote: »
    What about Williamstown? That's other side

It is I suppose but that site does not sprawl all over both sides of the road and pavement. The Carrickphierrish one is like an urban sprawl of a halting site that is organically assimilating anything in its path. It'll eventually be impassable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

They've taken over that entire road. Disgraceful how that road has been handed over to them. Fecking portaloos on the side of the road even. Jesus.

The reason that they've been allowed to form their ghetto there I'd guess is so that they will stat away from the other side of town.

There are plenty of scumbags on the "better" side of Waterford, let me assure you. They may live in nice houses and drive big cars, but they are the exact same as that lot deep down. Nothing but a pervasive myth that the Dunmore Road is the greener grass in Waterford.

There are plenty of scumbags on the "better" side of Waterford, let me assure you. They may live in nice houses and drive big cars, but they are the exact same as that lot deep down. Nothing but a pervasive myth that the Dunmore Road is the greener grass in Waterford.
    scumbags everywhere. The problem with the travellers up there is because the travellers are taking the piss and the council has allowed them to take the piss and the gardai are taking the piss by standing back and not getting involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,359 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Few of them down in the apartments by the marina hotel

Kids always asking for a lend of a €

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

They breed like rabbits.kids are dragged up in life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I bet if ye streamed a live cam on that area and foreigners observed the goings on theyd be shocked as to this **** bein allowed to carry on, local authorities wud be highly embarassed and exposed if that was to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I can tell you they'll never have a halting site there, even social housing there is knocked on the head

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I can tell you they'll never have a halting site there, even social housing there is knocked on the head

There is plenty of them in Catherine's Grange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I passed by there last night and i had to see the portaloos with my own eyes to believe it,that place is after turning into a real ****hole now!

I remember kilbarry halting site in the early 90's and you couldnt walk past it without getting chased by a dog or a traveller,wont be long now and carrickphierish will be like that.

• Advertisement

Yeah, has to be seen to be believed. Whatever boundaries were there are completely gone. Bad bad place and they are putting more of them in there. Not that it matters anyway cos they are just setting up on the pavement anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Given the disruption imposed on ordinary citizens I could not blame anyone for seriously objecting to a halting site even some distance from them.

Unless and until the sites, and their residents are controlled properly and behave in an acceptable manner to society, I would not expect that to change ..... nor should it IMO.

There should be no acceptance of scumbag behaviour from any quarter!

I want to posit a theory and not have my hand slapped - do people on 'the other side of town' accept lower standards?

It appears to me that folks in the more affluent parts of town are less easy going and complain more. They get on to the guards, their politicians and make a fuss when they're unhappy.

I hear a lot of people here saying that there's no point reporting issues to the guards and just vent about them.

I think people are right - this wouldn't be allowed happen on the Dunmore Road. Maybe those on the Carrickpherish Road need to up their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Self evident really.

Portaloos on the footpath is some pisstake.

Yeah, the portaloos on the footpath are a joke altogether. There's more than one now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

I went for a drive up that road last night and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. It’s probably two months since I was last around that side of town. It’s probably the worst looking area in town now and that’s saying something. I heard Sanofi had some of their top International execs over visiting to look at the new plans to expand the plant and they were spotted by the tinkers. They came down and started intimidating the visitors. Imagine coming over from France and the USA to look at the state of the art facility your company owns and then having to not only look at those feral animals but also have to put up with them intimidating you?

And yet, they keep putting more of them in that hellhole. At the entrance to the city and in the vicinity of Sanofi, West and B&L....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

And yet, they keep putting more of them in that hellhole. At the entrance to the city and in the vicinity of Sanofi, West and B&L....

I reckon that will stop though if those companies decide the expand or if other big pharma companies look to set up there.

The stock that was destroyed by the dirty tinkers lighting fires down behind Sanofi a couple of years ago was valued at €8m. Robbing the council depot in the estate, causing millions of euro worth of damage to Sanofi, turning the Carrickphierish Road into something that resembles post bombing in downtown Baghdad. How are these creatures allowed get away with it, it’s just unbelievable.

• Advertisement

As hardybuck said earlier , people need to report things, and report things consistently. I said it hear ages ago and people said what's the point but not reporting gives the council gardai etc an excuse. Ireland's public service etc love paper work. Make sure everything is down on paper , then organise a meeting with the council and show them all the reported incidents. Same with gardai report everything ,every little thing, and if a Garda tells you it won't make a difference make sure you report it anyway because the guard that is telling you it will make no difference, will deny he ever told you that and he be right too because if it's not down in black and white it didn't happen. It wouldn't happen in other parts of the town because the people report the **** out of everything. Give them an inch they will take a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I always thought it would be great to start a gofundme or something to pay a load of travellers to set up somewhere like Dalkey or Foxrock here in Dublin, just to see how it would be dealt with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

Next thing you know,, they will be setting fire to all their scrap cars, so they can recycle them, like in North Dublin yesterday.

It's really great to see them recycling like that,, and their traveler culture enriches us all..

debok wrote: »
    As hardybuck said earlier , people need to report things, and report things consistently. I said it hear ages ago and people said what's the point but not reporting gives the council gardai etc an excuse. Ireland's public service etc love paper work. Make sure everything is down on paper , then organise a meeting with the council and show them all the reported incidents. Same with gardai report everything ,every little thing, and if a Garda tells you it won't make a difference make sure you report it anyway because the guard that is telling you it will make no difference, will deny he ever told you that and he be right too because if it's not down in black and white it didn't happen. It wouldn't happen in other parts of the town because the people report the **** out of everything. Give them an inch they will take a mile.

People don’t bother reporting stuff to the guards anymore because the guards are terrified of them. During the week there was a gang of tinkers drinking in the car park of the hospital and there was a large number of guards there - including the armed response. It was left to the hospital staff to ask a tinker to move his van because it was blocking the entrance to A & E. The guards won’t do a thing and the tinkers only laugh at them, they’re untouchable in almost every way and they know that.

Threaten to cut a man’s throat? Here’s €33,000.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/traveller-family-awarded-33-000-over-shocking-pub-case-1.4120458

Motivator wrote: »
    People don’t bother reporting stuff to the guards anymore because the guards are terrified of them. During the week there was a gang of tinkers drinking in the car park of the hospital and there was a large number of guards there - including the armed response. It was left to the hospital staff to ask a tinker to move his van because it was blocking the entrance to A & E. The guards won’t do a thing and the tinkers only laugh at them, they’re untouchable in almost every way and they know that.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/traveller-family-awarded-33-000-over-shocking-pub-case-1.4120458

The Gardai have broken up international crime gangs in Dublin and Limerick in the last couple of years. They're well able to do it if there is a compelling public interest.

Make a fuss.

hardybuck wrote: »
    The Gardai have broken up international crime gangs in Dublin and Limerick in the last couple of years. They're well able to do it if there is a compelling public interest.

Make a fuss.

The guards do tremendous work across the country and I will always back them, except when it comes to the tinkers. They’re afraid of their lives. Guards are doing some job at the minute with the drug seizures - there must be 15 or 20 big ones in the last 2 months. Tinkers are running riot though.

Your kinda proving my point. Your saying no point in reporting to gaurds , this gives the guards a get out by saying we've had no reports.
    In regards to outside the hospital ,what did you want them to do, draw the Batons and or armed response shoot one of them. I'm sure they were handling in the way that was going to cause the least amount of bother to any member of the public.
    Sorry now but if you don't report these people constantly fir wrongdoings nothing will change. Not reporting things gives pavee point etc help to by keeping official figures lower than they should be.

Sorry that link too. Don't get your grievance there either. It went to court , judge didn't believe the manager was told he would get his throat slit. 33 000 probably bit much alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I went for a drive up that road last night and couldn’t believe what I was seeing. It’s probably two months since I was last around that side of town. It’s probably the worst looking area in town now and that’s saying something. I heard Sanofi had some of their top International execs over visiting to look at the new plans to expand the plant and they were spotted by the tinkers. They came down and started intimidating the visitors. Imagine coming over from France and the USA to look at the state of the art facility your company owns and then having to not only look at those feral animals but also have to put up with them intimidating you?

Where did you hear of that story? Like how would they even know that these guys were in the factory in the first place and then decided to threaten them? That’s a wild thing that I’ve never heard of. Intimidating carter they’ll take over “their” land which isn’t even their land but they think they’ve a god given right to whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Some of the claims are quite over the top alright, that intimidation one doesn't really pass the smell test tbf but maybe they did decide to intimidate a bunch of people they spotted....looking at plans, or whatever. Who knows. Then you have the place resembling a post bombing Baghdad. I mean, really like?

Anyways, what is happening and likely will continue to happen on that road until there is a major incident is an absolute disgrace. The travellers get away with far too much, the feckin minority status is a pain in the hole and the pavee point spokespeople like Collins are an absolute joke aswell.

Asked for comment on the lack of social distancing with 150odd turning up to a funeral in Cork he of course says that it is not acceptable to disregard the rules like that but as always shifts it to "why didn't they guards step in" and do something about it. It will never, ever be the responsibility of a traveller to be responsible for his or her actions There will always be an excuse made and a finger pointed elsewhere and until people stand together and make it a living hell for the local council (because the guards are well capable when given the powers) the same way the travellers would do if they felt they were being treated unfairly things will not change.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

There is 0% chance that Sanofi story is true.

The site is sort of in the Goldilocks zone. It's far enough away from Sanofi, West, etc and far enough away from the posher parts of Gracedieu. Until either of those start to get affected nothing will be done.

Up in Carn Glas/Carraig Heights they were having a bit of hassle with drug taking in a particular spot. The residents association were straight on to the Gardai and the issue was resolved. As far as I know the Gardai now do regular checks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement