Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Have Taken Over Carrickphierish Road...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Any chance of some pictures of whats it's like there? (From a distance and safely of course) (and within your 5km :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Interesting reading , travellers are causing havoc all over the country , Galway,Wexford, Longford,Limerick ,Clare,Kerry etc etc ......Law abiding people been intimidated and their lives ruined all over the place but the Government stand idly by??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Where did you hear of that story? Like how would they even know that these guys were in the factory in the first place and then decided to threaten them? That’s a wild thing that I’ve never heard of. Intimidating carter they’ll take over “their” land which isn’t even their land but they think they’ve a god given right to whatever they want.

Sanofi purchased land to expand their factory at the back of the boundary fence to the existing facility. The entrance to this site is at the top of the Carrickphierish Rd, and the entrance is no more than 50 yards from the halting site.

A multi million euro expansion plan needs sign off from senior management and corporate procurement. That’s standard practice for any company. Has this satisfied you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Interesting reading , travellers are causing havoc all over the country , Galway,Wexford, Longford,Limerick ,Clare,Kerry etc etc ......Law abiding people been intimidated and their lives ruined all over the place but the Government stand idly by??

Have heard people in Kilkenny complaining to, pretty much exactly the same kind of thing as people on the Carrickphierish Road. Also, there was a documentary on Channel 4 a few months ago about travellers behaviour being out of control in England to. It is only going to get worse if the authorises don’t stand up to these people. Being afraid they will be called racist is not good enough. PS I am strongly against travellers being considered a different race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

BBM77 wrote: »
    Have heard people in Kilkenny complaining to, pretty much exactly the same kind of thing as people on the Carrickphierish Road. Also, there was a documentary on Channel 4 a few months ago about travellers behaviour being out of control in England to. It is only going to get worse if the authorises don’t stand up to these people. Being afraid they will be called racist is not good enough. PS I am strongly against travellers being considered a different race.

Why do you deny that they are a race?

• Advertisement

Not trying playing games with you but a better question is why do you think they are a different race?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

Motivator wrote: »
    People don’t bother reporting stuff to the guards anymore because the guards are terrified of them. During the week there was a gang of tinkers drinking in the car park of the hospital and there was a large number of guards there - including the armed response. It was left to the hospital staff to ask a tinker to move his van because it was blocking the entrance to A & E. The guards won’t do a thing and the tinkers only laugh at them, they’re untouchable in almost every way and they know that.

Threaten to cut a man’s throat? Here’s €33,000.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/traveller-family-awarded-33-000-over-shocking-pub-case-1.4120458

The judge didnt believe that he said that. So a bit sensationalist...

Personally, I strongly believe that travellers are not a different race and FG were wrong to give them ethnic minority status. Yes, they may have genic differences but so do polish people. There are about 122,000 polish people in Ireland versus 31,000 travellers, why not give polish people ethnic minority status? (Only using polish people as an example of sizes of groups of people in no way am I comparing them to travellers). To me ethnic minority status just rubber stamped travellers sectioning of from the rest of society, frankly gave them a justification for their bad behaviour and demands for special treatment financial and otherwise. If anybody criticises their behaviour the racism card is whipped out and they now have ethnic minority status to back it up. The problems travellers face are mostly brought about by their lifestyle, which is their choice. Nobody makes them live in squalor they create it themselves. Nobody makes traveller children leave school early they take them out. Nothing is perfect for anybody in society that’s life, but that is not a reason to behave the way travellers do. Travellers need to take responsibility for themselves; blaming society and government and expecting special status for problems caused by your own choice of lifestyle is rubbish and the government should have seen that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Personally, I strongly believe that travellers are not a different race and FG were wrong to give them ethnic minority status. Yes, they may have genic differences but so do polish people. There are about 122,000 polish people in Ireland versus 31,000 travellers, why not give polish people ethnic minority status? (Only using polish people as an example of sizes of groups of people in no way am I comparing them to travellers). To me ethnic minority status just rubber stamped travellers sectioning of from the rest of society, frankly gave them a justification for their bad behaviour and demands for special treatment financial and otherwise. If anybody criticises their behaviour the racism card is whipped out and they now have ethnic minority status to back it up. The problems travellers face are mostly brought about by their lifestyle, which is their choice. Nobody makes them live in squalor they create it themselves. Nobody makes traveller children leave school early they take them out. Nothing is perfect for anybody in society that’s life, but that is not a reason to behave the way travellers do. Travellers need to take responsibility for themselves; blaming society and government and expecting special status for problems caused by your own choice of lifestyle is rubbish and the government should have seen that.

FG did not want to, they had no choice it was SF who proposed the bill and FF supported. Thanks for FG no other provisions were made as many hoped for.

David Cullinane probably got plenty of votes around here. Don't see him been so vocal on this issue :)

Not trying playing games with you but a better question is why do you think they are a different race?

They are as genetically different to Irish people as Spanish people are to us according one one genetic study from.the Royal College of Surgeons. They also have distinct cultural habits too. Not defending some of their habits or traditions but they are definitely a different ethnic group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

They say that there is no such thing as races among humans anyway - so how can anybody be described as racist?
    A race is a grouping of humans based on shared physical or social qualities into categories generally viewed as distinct by society.[1] The term was first used to refer to speakers of a common language and then to denote national affiliations. By the 17th century the term began to refer to physical (phenotypical) traits. Modern scholarship regards race as a social construct, an identity which is assigned based on rules made by society. While partially based on physical similarities within groups, race does not have an inherent physical or biological meaning.[1][2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_categorization)

magazine article:
    There’s No Scientific Basis for Race—It's a Made-Up Label

It's been used to define and separate people for millennia. But the concept of race is not grounded in genetics.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2018/04/race-genetics-science-africa/

They are as genetically different to Irish people as Spanish people are to us according one one genetic study from.the Royal College of Surgeons. They also have distinct cultural habits too. Not defending some of their habits or traditions but they are definitely a different ethnic group.

But this is part of the problem. There is a certain justification of travellers behaviours by saying not defending some of their habits or traditions but they are definitely a different ethnic group. Pavee Point have been playing of this for years when travellers bad behaviour come up. They pass of the blame to whoever and avoid responsibility for their own behaviour.

As so you can't be racist because race doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

To add a bit of further background, Sinn Fein, specifically Gerry Adams, introduced a Private Members Bill in 2015 in the aftermath of the Carrickmines fire tragedy.

While I think there was cross party cooperation in the end, there was a report submitted to the Justice Committee carried out by SF's Pádraig Mac Lochlainn, who's father was a convicted Provisional IRA volunteer and his mother comes from a Travelling background. The Committee was chaired by SF's Caoimhghín Ó Caoláin.

The following is a link to SF celebrating the announcement by the Taoiseach in 2017 that they would get formal recognition https://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/43711

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Do you have a link to that study?

Thanks.

I did read this
    https://www.sfi.ie/research-news/news/new-study-on-irish-travel/

which makes travellers very definitely Irish, and essentially says that their genetic differences are due to isolation and consanguineous marriages which are commonplace amongst them. It also does not mention a Spanish comparison that I noticed.
    The genetic distance that exists between Travellers and the settled population can be attributed to genetic drift, brought on by hundreds of years of genetic isolation combined with a decreasing population size.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The Irish Times have published an article this morning highlighting the difficult conditions travellers experience at the moment.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/traveller-realities-amid-the-pandemic-i-thought-i-d-never-see-a-sup-from-a-tap-again-1.4261246?mode=amp

The journalist's Twitter handle is @KittyHollandIT if anyone feels strongly about what's happening in Waterford - which isn't mentioned in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The families had been offered alternative accommodation but had turned it down,

This seems to be a commonplace occurrence.
    Is it any wonder they suffer where they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I see they've moved in another couple of caravans on the opposite side of the road now.

The really gave taken over the whole road now. They are criss crossing across at their leisure now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Azatadine wrote: »
    I see they've moved in another couple of caravans on the opposite side of the road now.

The really gave taken over the whole road now. They are criss crossing across at their leisure now.
    I also noticed that yesterday and a portaloo next to them on the footpath.It's alright now but wait until someone is injured crossing and then see who is to blame. it's an accident waiting to happen.

Seems to be no boundaries to that crowd up there at all. Footpaths on both sides of the road taken over by them now. Crazy stuff altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

I still think that house on blocks of the maddest thing ever, like how do you move something so big without permission plus if you were building a shed out the back the council be straight on ya. I take a spin every now and then, it looked tidy there about 2 weeks ago, portaloo was gone and the caravans were inside the walls where the House On Blocks is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I had to laugh today when two youngsters were having a go at each other on the side of the road untill a girl came out and caught the youngest one by the scruff and dragged him away, twas like something out of a Pat Short film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I still think that house on blocks of the maddest thing ever, like how do you move something so big without permission plus if you were building a shed out the back the council be straight on ya. I take a spin every now and then, it looked tidy there about 2 weeks ago, portaloo was gone and the caravans were inside the walls where the House On Blocks is.

Have you got a picture - I can’t imagine it! No doubt you don’t need olanning permission if it has wheels or us up on blocks cos the wheels were nicked/in for repair - like advertising & politicians year round posters.

As an aside - do people realise that ‘traveller culture’ is going to be out in the cirruculum for the poor teachers to have to endure ‘teaching’. No doubt this will he the new cash cow for travellers and their traumatised offspring forced to endure comments in class from realists/child peers.

I doubt any of this s**te will be included in the new educational cirruculum on their ‘ culture’. .

Have you got a picture - I can’t imagine it! No doubt you don’t need olanning permission if it has wheels or us up on blocks cos the wheels were nicked/in for repair - like advertising & politicians year round posters.

As an aside - do people realise that ‘traveller culture’ is going to be out in the cirruculum for the poor teachers to have to endure ‘teaching’. No doubt this will he the new cash cow for travellers and their traumatised offspring forced to endure comments in class from realists/child peers.

I doubt any of this s**te will be included in the new educational cirruculum on their ‘ culture’. .

I don’t have a picture but definitely has to be seen to be believed, it’s like a mansion on blocks. Sure they have no money. The hypocrisy is why people have such negative views of this “culture” when a culture suits you when you feel like it isn’t really a culture is it, it then becomes a choice. Respect is earned not given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭DeiseNew

I drive this way on the way to work everyday and its always pot luck as to whether you will get a sulky holding you up, little 5 yr old tramps chucking stones or verbal abuse or generally something like a pipe or nails on the road to avoid. As of last week im diverting around it, just not worth it, no matter how close to home it is. I echo what everyone here says about the place being a complete and utter law unto itself. I suppose its nowhere near the posh end of the city so the powers that be couldnt care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,440 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don’t have a picture but definitely has to be seen to be believed, it’s like a mansion on blocks. Sure they have no money. The hypocrisy is why people have such negative views of this “culture” when a culture suits you when you feel like it isn’t really a culture is it, it then becomes a choice. Respect is earned not given.

Its on street view on google maps, so it has been there a while.

looksee wrote: »
    Its on street view on google maps, so it has been there a while.

It’s illegal no matter how long it’s been there.

It’s illegal no matter how long it’s been there.

They were supposed to take it away but as usual, the Carrickphierrish crowd can do what they want don't ya know.

DeiseNew wrote: »
    I drive this way on the way to work everyday and its always pot luck as to whether you will get a sulky holding you up, little 5 yr old tramps chucking stones or verbal abuse or generally something like a pipe or nails on the road to avoid. As of last week im diverting around it, just not worth it, no matter how close to home it is. I echo what everyone here says about the place being a complete and utter law unto itself. I suppose its nowhere near the posh end of the city so the powers that be couldnt care less.

If it was on the Dunmore road it wouldn't be long gone.

• Advertisement

I assume they keep letting them congregate and do what they want in Carrickphierrish so that they don't set up out the Dunmore road way alright. They just rock on up and set up. It's their road now. To hell with anyone else. Some ghetto.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement