Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Have Taken Over Carrickphierish Road...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

No point blaming the Dunmore road. I presume they are on council land. They should be on slip roads off the ring road like out across from the council golf course. Away from everything. Not centre of a road with lots of housing. What councillors are elected up that way. They are not doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

No point blaming the Dunmore road. I presume they are on council land. They should be on slip roads off the ring road like out across from the council golf course. Away from everything. Not centre of a road with lots of housing. What councillors are elected up that way. They are not doing their job.

Imagine waiting to get a council house after 4-8 years then you get the key and go up there only to find this absolute nightmare where you can’t even leave your kids out to play. The whole place is affected. If the places that are built for them are adhere too they could all live in peace and keep to themselves but they won’t cause the greed is unreal, just take take take.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

BBM77 wrote: »
    Completely disagree with you, it is not an acceptable place. The fact of the matter is these people don’t obey the law and live a lifestyle that is disruptive to people in the surrounding area. And frankly most people find very intimidating.

But pavee point will tell us that they don’t have any place to race their horses , Council should supply them with a safe place to use . They are an ethnic minority so our laws are different to their law I’m afraid 😟

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Pavee point continue to exhibit a tone deafness / 0 responsibility approach...its always the government's fault after all :D.

The untrustables run rampage

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

no.8 wrote: »
    Pavee point continue to exhibit a tone deafness. The untrustables run rampage

Ah they will tell you a lack of proper housing and camp sites with adequate facilities is the real problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Out of interest, how long have they taken up that area? Feels like some of the housing developments came after they've already been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

iseegirls wrote: »
    Out of interest, how long have they taken up that area? Feels like some of the housing developments came after they've already been there.

I think the halting site there must be there at least 10 years definitely at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

It wasn't always as filthy or sprawling as it is now though was it? Seemed to be better contained originally? It's a filthy dump now sprawled all over the place.

Azatadine wrote: »
    It wasn't always as filthy or sprawling as it is now though was it? Seemed to be better contained originally? It's a filthy dump now sprawled all over the place.

Talk about sh*****g on your own doorstep. I’ve never understood why they leave their own places get so filthy and disgusting. Can’t be good for their health n their kids. It’ll get allot worse now once all the bays are filled. Dependent on which families they put there, there could be a lot of trouble around with other families or families in houses close to it having trouble with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

My son is in Educate together which involves me driving up that way every morning (Covid notwithstanding) but I have resigned myself to the fact that I will probably be going the long way round for collections in the near future, still think the morning will be fine but driving through what is essentially a halting site now with caravans on both sides of the road isn't something I'll be looking to do on a daily basis.

Its actually an absolute disgrace whats been allowed to happen up there, totally demoralising for residents too surely which will have a knock on effect.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Talk about sh*****g on your own doorstep. I’ve never understood why they leave their own places get so filthy and disgusting. Can’t be good for their health n their kids. It’ll get allot worse now once all the bays are filled. Dependent on which families they put there, there could be a lot of trouble around with other families or families in houses close to it having trouble with them.

Sure it is not. Life expectancy, if I remember correctly, is only in the 60’s for travellers, can’t remember the exact number now. Compared to 80’s for the settled people.

My son is in Educate together which involves me driving up that way every morning (Covid notwithstanding) but I have resigned myself to the fact that I will probably be going the long way round for collections in the near future, still think the morning will be fine but driving through what is essentially a halting site now with caravans on both sides of the road isn't something I'll be looking to do on a daily basis.

Its actually an absolute disgrace whats been allowed to happen up there, totally demoralising for residents too surely which will have a knock on effect.

It’s purely not safe for anyone including the residents in the caravans. The council have alot to answer for. It may not be straight forward but they should of blocked off the areas so they couldn’t get anything in. I can’t even think what it’ll be like in 5 years. It’ll be a no go area. Once was a lovely place and up and coming. The apartments down the road aren’t much better, shooting there over Christmas n that dark dindgy car park in the middle of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

This type of stuff is happening all over the country, Travellers numbers are surging all over the country as they have 7 or 8 kids each at young ages so whatever is on the Carrickpherish road now will be growing exponentially over the coming years .

Its estimated as few as a third of travellers filled in census forms in the last census which suits the agenda of we're only less than 1% etc etc but in fact the true numbers could be as high as 3% and growing , a number of towns and villages in nearby Wexford could be well into double digits . The fact none of them will work places huge strain on welfare and council housing lists but no party will open their mouth about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

I know of one family that was given a house and they use it to store stuff and to house their dogs while they live in a caravan in the drive.

shockwave wrote: »
    I know of one family that was given a house and they use it to store stuff and to house their dogs while they live in a caravan in the drive.

I think that’s everywhere, waste of house just a drive to house the caravan. It’s a huge waste of housing that others would love to have for their families. I’d appreciation is wanted for the “culture” then respect others rights and culture. The greed I hate. This is not every traveller by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I think that’s everywhere, waste of house just a drive to house the caravan. It’s a huge waste of housing that others would love to have for their families. I’d appreciation is wanted for the “culture” then respect others rights and culture. The greed I hate. This is not every traveller by the way.

Greed is the least of the problem .....never doing a days work and expecting tax payers to pay welfare from cradle to grave and house them as well is a huge cost to you and all other tax payers. Not to mention all the crime and intimidation some members of the traveller community inflict on the communities that are funding them

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Greed is the least of the problem .....never doing a days work and expecting tax payers to pay welfare from cradle to grave and house them as well is a huge cost to you and all other tax payers. Not to mention all the crime and intimidation some members of the traveller community inflict on the communities that are funding them

Yea and that’s all greed. The sense of entitlement even though a lot will never contribute to taxes. Their own worst enemies to be honest.

It was a shambles for ages then early-mid last year it seemed to have been tidied up quite well but it only last a few weeks. It's a disgrace at present.

I still cannot get over the portaloos on the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I still cannot get over the portaloos on the footpath.
    It's a pity they don't use them I passed there this morning and one of the youngsters was urinating on the grass next to a caravan while more of them were walking around with no shoes or socks on in the same grass.

Do the council not care at all or what?

• Advertisement

I seen a video yesterday of a chap threatening to catch a family with his slash hook across the neck but in the same breath he said their only ordinary decent people living decent lives, wtf like, that’s what your dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Has anyone contacted the council about that place and if so did they reply? It would be interesting to know what their thoughts or plans with it are. If something isnt done it will soon become a no go area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

alta stare wrote: »
    Has anyone contacted the council about that place and if so did they reply? It would be interesting to know what their thoughts or plans with it are. If something isnt done it will soon become a no go area.

Its pretty much a no go area as it is. Anyone who knows even a fraction of what goes on there gives it a wide berth.

I passed over there this morning and I was pleasantly surprised with how tidy the place looked. Footpaths were cleared and overall it's the best I've seen it in a very long time. It even exceeds last year.

I passed over there this morning and I was pleasantly surprised with how tidy the place looked. Footpaths were cleared and overall it's the best I've seen it in a very long time. It even exceeds last year.

I was just about to post the exact same thing. Looked great if it can stay like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

A fine Marquee up there yesterday laid out and an alter inside, looked set up for a wedding and the place was nice and tidy.

marlin vs wrote: »
    A fine Marquee up there yesterday laid out and an alter inside, looked set up for a wedding and the place was nice and tidy.

Yea I seen a lot more caravans out there today, god knows they’ll stay for months most likely. I see all the windows are smashed in the porta cabins being used to help build the new bays but it is deffo a lot cleaner of late.

It's a dirty hell hole and it'll always be a filthy hell hole. It'll be a no go area when they put more of them in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

It's a dirty hell hole and it'll always be a filthy hell hole. It'll be a no go area when they put more of them in there.

Guards are too scared of them to tackle them. The world and his mother knows that. Add the scummy crowd down in Mount Suir and its easier to write off the whole area as an anti-social island where nobody important lives. They can afford to lose the votes in the area so the problem will just remain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

What are the local media doing about it? Haven't been up that way in a while and there's very few photos of how it looks atm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement