Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Have Taken Over Carrickphierish Road...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Beside in the right or on the left? Next to the slip road down to educate together like?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Azatadine wrote: »
    Saw planning notice at the site beside the Gaelscoil this morning. An absolutely massive development going in beside the school premises (5.4 hectares) on the Gracedieu side.

Cant find anything on eplanning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Beside in the right or on the left? Next to the slip road down to educate together like?

Yeah, notice is on the left side of the slip road. Right beside the entrance. Only went up on 8th Sept. Its a very significant development.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The site notice has to go up first.

Then the planning application is lodged.

It has to be processed and then it will appear on the website.

I took a photo but can't attach it as I'm on Touch site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

I took a photo but can't attach it as I'm on Touch site.

I'll keep an eye out for it over the next couple of weeks. Wonder whats going in there...

I'll keep an eye out for it over the next couple of weeks. Wonder whats going in there...

For one thing, it will mean the boys up there will lose a good chunk of land that they have horses in. There's a lot of building going on opposite where they are camped too so they will lose that land as well.

Its important that the developments are of a good standard though because that road needs it more than most....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Azatadine wrote:
    For one thing, it will mean the boys up there will lose a good chunk of land that they have horses in. There's a lot of building going on opposite where they are camped too so they will lose that land as well.

Jesus, how could you live there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Its important that the developments are of a good standard though because that road needs it more than most....

They'll need a wall similar to the Gaza strip to keep trouble from spilling over into the new estate.

Deiseen wrote: »
    They'll need a wall similar to the Gaza strip to keep trouble from spilling over into the new estate.

Yeah, its important that whatever that big development is, that its of a high standard. If not the whole place will be a no go area. Hopefully it will be. Its beside the gaelscoil which is a lovely school and very well maintained.

Think there's over 300 car park spaces and 50 bike spaces incorporated. Retail, commercial, offices and residential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I get confused because you keep saying gaelscoil and that is to the right as you'd be looking at it from the road. The library then is on the corner and educate together going down from the right.

All of them are lovely and well maintained of course but the land next to the gaelscoille didn't look large enough to accommodate that kind of development whereas the field next to educate together almost certainly could I think?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I get confused because you keep saying gaelscoil and that is to the right as you'd be looking at it from the road. The library then is on the corner and educate together going down from the right.

All of them are lovely and well maintained of course but the land next to the gaelscoille didn't look large enough to accommodate that kind of development whereas the field next to educate together almost certainly could I think?

I guess I'm throwing the Educate Together and Gaelscoil together. So, if I enter the Carrickphierrish Road from the bridge side of town, the area to be developed is on my left before I reach the Educate Together/Gaelscoil.

Its opposite the big estate with all of the apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

The more land we take back off them and use for actual decent human beings, the better.

The more land we take back off them and use for actual decent human beings, the better.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Guards around this evening, hoping they were causing trouble and not watchung speed. Second car arrived when I was there.

Anyone else see this?

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/09/30/developments-in-pipeline-for-carrickphierish/
    Having commenced a Part 8 process at the September Metropolitan meeting, Waterford City and County Council is proposing to provide seven bays, each with its own day house with a single standalone welfare facility, including a water closet and shower for an existing site under the Traveller Accommodation Programme.

Separately, the Council sought approval to provide a service site, the infrastructure only, to facilitate the development of 28 new affordable three-bed houses on a Local Authority owned site in the area. The houses will be subject to a separate planning application, Anton Lennon of Waterford Council told the meeting.

In general, Cllr Joe Kelly (Ind) welcomed all the proposals. However, he had queries about the provision of the seven halting bays. He explained that there’s general agreement locally that moving caravans off the side of the road is positive for both the residents of the area and the Traveller community, but there are concerns about how the site would be developed while the families are currently living there. Secondly, he questioned if the two caravans that are parked across from the site on a hard shoulder would also be accommodated within the seven bays. Finally, he queried how other caravans would be prevented from simply pulling into the hard shoulder going forward.

Cllr Jason Murphy (FF) particularly welcomed the affordable housing at Carrickphierish, and asked Director of Housing Ivan Grimes to afford a development at Ballycashin, Butlerstown the same attention by making it an affordable housing scheme.

Having welcomed the developments, Cllr Eamon Quinlan pointed out that there are a lot of horses in the area, out on the road, in fields and on housing estate greens. He asked what the Council intended to do about any additional horses that could be brought to the area.

In relation to the Traveller accommodation, Mr Grimes acknowledged that the site is currently occupied, but said it would be a matter for the successful contractor to manage. The new bays are intended for existing residents who are living in “very poor conditions” with overcrowding. He stated that the Council is prepared to look at certain measures for the hard shoulder across from the site, including landscaping, to deal with the potential of additional caravans taking up residence there. The Council are also working with the community to address the “significant” number of horses right across the city. Cllr John Hearne felt that the removal of animals that are not chipped would solve a lot of problems. In response to Cllr Murphy, Mr Grimes said he would be happy to look at Ballycashin again for an affordable scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

They may as well go all in. With the halting site the way it is up there you will only get social housing in there now. A developer isn't going to make much money on private housing on that road. They would have to practically give them away.

A far cry away from the original plans for that area about 20 years ago which turned out to be utter horse manure. I sold up and got the hell out whilst the going was good. Nice job Waterford City Council !

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    They may as well go all in. With the halting site the way it is up there you will only get social housing in there now. A developer isn't going to make much money on private housing on that road. They would have to practically give them away.

A far cry away from the original plans for that area about 20 years ago which turned out to be utter horse manure. I sold up and got the hell out whilst the going was good. Nice job Waterford City Council !

Yeah, they are now throwing the entire road to the travellers. Essentially washing their hands of it completely. Such a pity. Its thrown to the wolves now.

Rightly or wrongly, I wonder how much of it is a conscious plan to ghetto them in one area, away from the Dunmore road area.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Anyone else see this?

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/09/30/developments-in-pipeline-for-carrickphierish/

Cllr Jason Murphy (FF) particularly welcomed the affordable housing at Carrickphierish, and asked Director of Housing Ivan Grimes to afford a development at Ballycashin, Butlerstown the same attention by making it an affordable housing scheme.

Anyone know what this is referring to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

wtf is a day house ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭elperello

wtf is a day house ?

Used to be called a tigin.

No sleeping accommodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

7 bays for now, at present traveller birth rates some other part of Waterford better get ready for a 70 Bay development. There are thousands of other people on Waterfords housing list that are waiting far longer than these travellers , everyone on the housing list should get a caravan and plonk it on a green area.

Is the 7 bays in addition to the existing "official" bays or in addition to the unofficial "bays" in existence up and down both sides of the road?

They'll put in these additional 7 bays so that they can be occupied by 7 traveller families and then an additional 7 traveller families will show up to occupy the spaces on the sides of the road until the taxpayer foots the bill for more bays to be added.

Is the 7 bays in addition to the existing "official" bays or in addition to the unofficial "bays" in existence up and down both sides of the road?

They'll put in these additional 7 bays so that they can be occupied by 7 traveller families and then an additional 7 traveller families will show up to occupy the spaces on the sides of the road until the taxpayer foots the bill for more bays to be added.

I'd say this is accepted by the corporation as a way to centralise them in one location. The area is already taken over by them so they will just throw more in there to minimise any potential issues if they tried to put a site anywhere else.

There's little doubt that a new batch will rock on up and set up on the sides of the road to replace the current batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'd say this is accepted by the corporation as a way to centralise them in one location. The area is already taken over by them so they will just throw more in there to minimise any potential issues if they tried to put a site anywhere else.

There's little doubt that a new batch will rock on up and set up on the sides of the road to replace the current batch.

ffs, thats some joke, what about the other folks living there!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ffs, thats some joke, what about the other folks living there!

Yeah, its ridiculous and a self propagating issue now too. I doubt anybody would put private housing on that road now because they wouldn't sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Is the whole halting site system even sustainable? I mean there's more being planned throughout the county and I wonder is the whole idea of a halting site a bit redundant? Nobody wants to live beside a halting site and if they do they are certainly not happy when they are being enlarged.

I think there are bigger questions to be asked. I for one, think it's best that that halting sites are kept away from residential areas. Adding new bays is only a temporary fix, it does not address the root of the problem. Councils don't really have a clue what to do and are very much operating on an ad-hoc basis it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Not if the Council does what it seems to intend ......
    He stated that the Council is prepared to look at certain measures for the hard shoulder across from the site, including landscaping, to deal with the potential of additional caravans taking up residence there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Jesus they would want to be VERY affordable houses FFS. €180k plus to have your life made a misery living beside the absolute dregs of society. Waterford Council have to be the most useless absolutely shambolic version of a council in this country.

• Advertisement

Not if the Council does what it seems to intend ......

So the taxpayer will pay for the hard shoulder to be landscaped and they will wreck that.

I don't even use that road anymore, no matter how convenient it might be. I've had dogs chase me, children chase me, children and teenagers throw different objects at me. All the while they're living on land and with facilities that I, and all other taxpayers, have paid for.
    There's another halting site near my gym, which I can't always avoid and, it's the same there, dogs out on the road, children and teenagers behaving like wild animals and, again, living on land and with facilities that I, and all other taxpayers have paid for.
    And we will all continue to pay for this forevermore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement