Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travellers Have Taken Over Carrickphierish Road...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Again, I brought up the issue that i had as that was the theme on this topic and it related to my interactions

Plus the only ones i see actually breaking the law HABITUALLY are these people, its not one where you need to go investigate and we need to call in CSI Miami to to figure it out, they do it time and time again and THE LAW sees it

Its well known and documented there is a smoking gun, Go in there and say no your not allowed burn out cars to harvest the scrap metal, no you cant operate a scrap metal site on council land without the proper licence and EPA approval etc etc this is in black and white, its not who did it in the dark of the night lets go investigate, its one of the easier crimes to solve. IF you see the same person breaking the same law day in day out its pretty easy to stop that person or people.

So why do you think the crimes and criminals you refer to above are not dealt with now or in the past......is it that the government bodies ie council, Gardaí, EPA, ISPCA, etc are directed by central government not to Persue these cases ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

50% of our prison population are from no fixed abode says it all about what you are dealing with the law is the law & should a ply to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

homingbird wrote:
    50% of our prison population are from no fixed abode says it all about what you are dealing with the law is the law & should a ply to everyone.

Completely agree, our complex social problems are becoming very serious, so much so, a large proportion of these individuals end up caught up in our judicial system for long periods, some for life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭homingbird

Then you are deemed racist if you state the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Aceso

I see some travellers have set up off the roundabout at Aldi in Ferrybank again. They weren't there yesterday evening so they must have moved in overnight, there's already a big pile of bags of rubbish outside the caravan. I suppose, at least the rubbish is actually in bags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Road-Hog wrote: »
    So why do you think the crimes and criminals you refer to above are not dealt with now or in the past......is it that the government bodies ie council, Gardaí, EPA, ISPCA, etc are directed by central government not to Persue these cases ?

Cos no one has the balls to deal with it, I've seen these people being placed in accommodation costing thousands treat the place like dirt have councillors begging them and offering them this and that, the amount of time and effort spent by professionals on them and then to find out this geezer had a house already, absurd, no one has the balls to do or say anything at the very highest level for fear of backlash, no win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Anecdotal question - are there more halting sites strewn around Waterford than other areas around the country? Wexford has always had the rep of having loads of them but I spend time around Wexford and I dont see anywhere near as many. Maybe it's just where they are locating them around Waterford? Cant understand why they have them in high visibility areas around Bilberry, Carrickpheirish, Williamstown as these are areas that have a lot of visitor traffic.

All that said, the Carrickpherish crowd are the dirtiest of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Azatadine wrote: »
    Anecdotal question - are there more halting sites strewn around Waterford than other areas around the country? Wexford has always had the rep of having loads of them but I spend time around Wexford and I dont see anywhere near as many. Maybe it's just where they are locating them around Waterford? Cant understand why they have them in high visibility areas around Bilberry, Carrickpheirish, Williamstown as these are areas that have a lot of visitor traffic.

All that said, the Carrickpherish crowd are the dirtiest of them all.

Could never understand that myself. What was the point of building a road to open up development land then put a halting site right in the middle! Personally I don't think urban areas are suitable for halting sites at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

BBM77 wrote: »
    Could never understand that myself. What was the point of building a road to open up development land then put a halting site right in the middle! Personally I don't think urban areas are suitable for halting sites at all.

There wouldn't exactly be a huge appetite from current residents for putting a halting site into an established area so I guess this is the easiest way to provide them.

Stick them all on sites outside of city, give them decent sites with space for horses etc, any sign of Metal Collection or any mess remove benefits, There needs to be site Liaison officers for each site to keep an eye on things simple as that

If you give people something for nothing and give no rules or regulations as part of what you've given them then expect nothing in return, they wont appreciate what they've been given. Do travellers get hounded the same way settled people do from social welfare to do courses or training etc??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Stick them all on sites outside of city, give them decent sites with space for horses etc, any sign of Metal Collection or any mess remove benefits, There needs to be site Liaison officers for each site to keep an eye on things simple as that

If you give people something for nothing and give no rules or regulations as part of what you've given them then expect nothing in return, they wont appreciate what they've been given. Do travellers get hounded the same way settled people do from social welfare to do courses or training etc??

There is traveller liaison officers but without enforcement what can they achieve in reality.

Behaviour is one thing and it's very bad up at the Carrickpherrish site but how the heck they are allowed to rock on up with their extra caravans and vans and take over the footpaths and road verges is another.

Reducing or removing benefits a lot of the time doesn't achieve objectives, it generally increases complexity and more negative behaviour such criminality

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Reducing or removing benefits a lot of the time doesn't achieve objectives, it generally increases complexity and more negative behaviour such criminality

I couldn't see them any other way to be honest, criminality is rife

I couldn't see them any other way to be honest, criminality is rife

Criminality certainly is a serious issue amongst them, but unfortunately cutting their dole, more than likely will just increase this risk, we re truly caught with them, it's very hard to know what to do about them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Behaviour is one thing and it's very bad up at the Carrickpherrish site but how the heck they are allowed to rock on up with their extra caravans and vans and take over the footpaths and road verges is another.

It would be great if these illegal settlements were on wheels and had tow bars then the guards could just drive up and pull them away....make their lives a lot easier I'd imagine :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

The smaller ones were in the library again yesterday acting up. I feel sorry for the librarian trying to deal with them. They are just out wandering around at 7 or 8 years of age looking for mischief, where do the parents think they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

The smaller ones were in the library again yesterday acting up. I feel sorry for the librarian trying to deal with them. They are just out wandering around at 7 or 8 years of age looking for mischief, where do the parents think they are?

jopax wrote:

Do the parents really care?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Essentially witnessing a community being destroyed due lack of law enforcement. If it was me doing that I'd be lifted by the guards yet and they can invite their friends down

• Advertisement

Yeah, you are right. They essentially do that. They bring them on down and they just park up on the footpath and stick two fingers up at the rest of that neighbourhood. I dont know how the people in the new estate beside them put up with it.

I assume the 'travellers' had a big bonfire going on the footpath at some stage too? I saw metal remains strewn around after the rubber and plastic burned away.

Yeah, you are right. They essentially do that. They bring them on down and they just park up on the footpath and stick two fingers up at the rest of that neighbourhood. I dont know how the people in the new estate beside them put up with it.

I assume the 'travellers' had a big bonfire going on the footpath at some stage too? I saw metal remains strewn around after the rubber and plastic burned away.

Oh do you not know? that's their way of environmentally disposing of an end of life vehicle, just burn the bits off the metal, fook everyone else.

The only advice i can give anyone is to contact council contact EPA and keep on them about it, cos that's the only way it will be sorted.

I think its time to recommend Halting Sites and Social Housing out behind Waterford Regional Hospital?? that's the fancy part of town isnt it?? see how PC they are when this happens on their doorstep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Oh do you not know? that's their way of environmentally disposing of an end of life vehicle, just burn the bits off the metal, fook everyone else.

The only advice i can give anyone is to contact council contact EPA and keep on them about it, cos that's the only way it will be sorted.

I think its time to recommend Halting Sites and Social Housing out behind Waterford Regional Hospital?? that's the fancy part of town isnt it?? see how PC they are when this happens on their doorstep

Do the council own the available land there?

debok wrote: »

I'm sure they do, My point being, if the likes of Joe Duffy and the PC Brigade had this type of behaviour going on on their door step, they would form their own opinions based on their daily experiences and interactions with this section of society.

Generally speaking the entire social system is wrong, decisions being made by people up in Ivory Towers who's decisions don't impact on their way of life.

I'm working hard as is my partner under great stress to pay the bills and look after our kids yet if I'm out sick i miss a days pay, have to go to doctor 60 euro.

couple down the road both unemployed, same house, paid for by the system and me through taxes and they have a nice car too, never done a days work!!

Better off playing the system in this country,

Hunger is a great motivation

The council do own the land.

debok wrote: »

I'm sure they do, My point being, if the likes of Joe Duffy and the PC Brigade had this type of behaviour going on on their door step, they would form their own opinions based on their daily experiences and interactions with this section of society.

Generally speaking the entire social system is wrong, decisions being made by people up in Ivory Towers who's decisions don't impact on their way of life.

I'm working hard as is my partner under great stress to pay the bills and look after our kids yet if I'm out sick i miss a days pay, have to go to doctor 60 euro.

couple down the road both unemployed, same house, paid for by the system and me through taxes and they have a nice car too, never done a days work!!

Would you pay more in taxes if you could visit the doctor for nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Aceso

I still can't figure out how they managed to make those houses attractive enough to sell. I couldn't live with that at the back of my house, I'd never feel secure.

I see they've finally started building down by the travellers opposite the golf course. First thing to go up, a big wall:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Aceso wrote: »
    I still can't figure out how they managed to make those houses attractive enough to sell. I couldn't live with that at the back of my house, I'd never feel secure.

I see they've finally started building down by the travellers opposite the golf course. First thing to go up, a big wall:pac:

Has there been any plans or articles about this site that they are building by the golf course.
    Got to admire their hope alright, even with a wall that is only built on one side.

Aceso wrote: »
    :

They must have been given assurances (lies) that they would move the halting site or something? Surely? No way could I understand anybody buying a house beside that crowd. Looks like they abandoned the other site that they started building on opposite them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

So the rich in the ivory tower are the problem, the poor down the road are the problem, the travellers are the problem, the people on the dunmore road are the problem. Jaysus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement