Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vodafone Gigabit (SIRO) broadband speed issue

• 17-08-2019 7:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just got the Vodafone Gigabit (SIRO) plus TV and home phone installed ... while the TV box works soooo much better than Virgin Media's crappy Horizon box (yes - less channels, but none that we miss the slightest) the gigabit broadband is acting up a bit .....

I only get ~440mbit/s DL speed (I get the full 200mbit/s upload speed) ... and ues this is with a stationary PC with an Intel Gigabit ethernet card and Cat6 cabling (both PC and Gigabox report 1000mbit connection) ....
    The installer said "wait a bit and the speed will pick up - well I hope so, perhaps Vodafone have some issues atm.
    Does any one else have similar issues ?

Cheers,
    Stone

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

- Is it a dell?
    - Whats the spec?
    - Confirm no powerline adapters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

ED E wrote: »
    - Is it a dell?
    - Whats the spec?
    - Confirm no powerline adapters

Hi ED E,

No, not a Dell but a self built desktop ... with an ASUS ROG Ranger VII mobo which uses an Intel i-218V ethernet connection (gigabit capable of course) with the latest drivers.

And no powerline or other adapters / direct connection via Cat6 cabling ....

//Stone

Z97 system should manage just fine.

- Bad UTP cables can reduce speed, if you can test another that'd be good
    - Its probable something in software is capping you. If it were network side you'd see 290 or 590Mb, not 440Mb. If you have antivirus installed thats the prime culprit (bar DELLs where SmartByte is)

Cheers ED E ...

Today I tried to determine the root cause here - it was not the cables etc. as I got hold of a laptop with an ethernet connection (gigabit capable) and plugged it into the cable from my PC .... behold I got 8-900mbit/s speed (I would say that is close enough to say the connection is max'ing out). So the cabling etc. is not at fault ...

Then I prepped an USB stick with the latest Ubuntu Live distro and booted my PC on that - and again I got 8-900 mbit/s. So the PC hardware works - that left only the Windows 10 installation and whatever "crap" I have accumulated over time.
    I tried to root out several things - no go .... so I have now tonight backed everything I need up and will 'refresh' the installation tomorrow. Hopefully a fresh W10 installation will yield full broadband speed - then I will re-install my stuff noting after every one what happens to see if any of these are the culprit. Otherwise it was simply a messed up installation that had degraded over time ...

Sorry for the long-winded post ... I thought in case someone else might be in the same situation this could provide at least a pointer ;)

//Stone

Thats exactly the kinda info we like to see posted. Makes it clear whats covered and avoids the uber useless "I fixed it thx" which tells others w/ same issue nothing.

If you open the task manager to the details tab and sort by CPU usage then run a speed test it may point you to what is the problem. I suspect you'll see one process jump from 0/1% to 12.5/25% CPU usage.

• Advertisement

Thanks ED E ... also great tip with the task manager, but unfortunately nothing stood out :(

I will update this thread once I have toiled through my W10 refresh (if a "Fresh start" does not do the trick I will do a complete re-format and re-install ... i.e. all from scratch) ;)

//Stone

And here the promised update ....

I did a "Fresh start" (the option via Windows Security) and that worked like a charm - quick and retained all personal files and some settings etc. so it was a lot easier than a complete re-install ...
    Internet connection speed now maxed out (getting ~930mbit/s - I think that is what you can get ....) ....

Installed Norton Internet Security and all my other programs except all that old stuff I'm not using any longer - and still full bandwidth ...

So there it is - something must have accumulated in the 'old' Windows 10 installation and a refresh sorted it out ... well worth the handful of hours I used today ;)

[HAPPY] End of this particular story :)
    //Stone

Advertisement