Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worn electrical contacts

Options
  • 18-08-2019 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭

Hi.
    Got a problem with erratic readings from my fuel gauge. More of an electrical problem than a car problem.

The float in the fuel tank provides the readings to the car. However, as can be seen from the photos, the contacts for the potentiometer are well worn now.

Can these contacts be repaired, if so how?

(Please move to the car maintenance forum, if this is not suitable)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Just found conductive pens online. Might try one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Just found conductive pens online. Might try one of those.
    To confirm, is it just the long, continuous track lower in the image that's worn? Not the striped one?
    I would use a multimeter on the resistance meter to first confirm that it is the potentiometer. Then, I would attempt to source a replacement unit rather than repair it. Even if you do get it working I wouldn't be too confident with the reliability.
    If you really do want to attempt a repair, the pen is a good choice, but I would be suspicious of how durable it will be to the brush running back and forth over it.
    I would chance getting copper tape or ribbon, cutting it to shape, and soldering it over the worn tracks. Use plenty flux to ensure that it is smooth. Remove any excess solder with copper braid to make sure that the copper track is as smooth as possible.

It won't be an easy repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I ended up cleaning the track and then laying a strip of solder back on the track. It flowed in well.
    Rechecked with a multimeter and the readings for full and empty are consistent with the spec for the pump.

Advertisement