Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

I have a feeling this could be a bad storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

The WOW readings may be station pressure, not reduced to sea level?
    That might be it - thank you. It never occurred to me. I'll try to check it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Lissavane wrote: »
    That might be it - thank you. It never occurred to me. I'll try to check it further.

Athenry is at 40 m amsl, which would equate to a correction of just under +5 hPa for sea level, not quite enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I actually looked into Claremorris as that was in the original post, I didn't cop that the OP changed it to Athenry, however considering Claremorris was also showing lower pressure on WOW-IE I'd say it throws the sea-level adjustment theory some weight.

Something to ask Met Éireann themselves about perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Quite wild and chilly out here.

West Mayo offshore island

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I actually looked into Claremorris as that was in the original post, I didn't cop that the OP changed it to Athenry, however considering Claremorris was also showing lower pressure on WOW-IE I'd say it throws the sea-level adjustment theory some weight.

Something to ask Met Éireann themselves about perhaps?

The Claremorris synop report for 7 am this morning has station pressure 1003.5 hPa and sea-level 1012.0 hPa, a correction of 8.5 hPa. Its altitude is 69 m amsl, so the typical correction of about 8.3 m/hPa tallies fairly well in this case (the actual altitude of the barometer can be different from the quotes station pressure in some cases).

The WOW site isn't working on my phone now for some reason but check this morning's 7 am report ans see which pressure it gives. I see that the menu specifically states "Pressure (sea level)", but that may be wrong.

Been out foraging fuel in; glorious out there just now. Huge moon riding high and the ocean at fullness crashing rocks on the shore,. and deeply ruffled.

Bitterly cold; far too chilly for even a short walk, so bringing coal and turf into the house was enough exercise and air. Invigorating...stood a wee while just revelling in it. All so alive.

A bird singing its tiny heart out outside the kitchen window. Always thus after the shortest day has passed. They know! And make sure WE do.

Enjoy the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Don’t want to clog the storm thread, do any of the regular posters know what direction the wind will be coming from? I’m sandwiched between the coast and Muckish mountain in the north west, very exposed! Im no expert but I always think that winds that come from the south seem most ferocious where I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Don’t want to clog the storm thread, do any of the regular posters know what direction the wind will be coming from? I’m sandwiched between the coast and Muckish mountain in the north west, very exposed and great for storm enthusiasts! Im no expert but I always think that winds that come from the south seem most ferocious where I am!

Southerly changing to south westerlies evening time
    That’s what I see anyway!

• Advertisement

Dazzling sunshine and diagonal clouds. Lovely afternoon...

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Graces7 wrote: »
    Dazzling sunshine and diagonal clouds. Lovely afternoon...

Hope all is safe and well for you later Grace. Love your descriptive posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Just got clipped by the edge of a hail shower here to the east of Castlebar. The odd shower about today but overall a nice bright and fresh day. 7c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Beautiful day. Wicklow Hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway 12/01/20 14.33 temperature 6°C
    7UdSLw5.jpg

That photo says it all and makes me shiver....

Wind picking up here. More cloud around. One of my younger cats is acting totally crazy. Wired... Weather affects some badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pad199207

Graces7 wrote: »
    That photo says it all and makes me shiver....

Wind picking up here. More cloud around. One of my younger cats is acting totally crazy. Wired... Weather affects some badly.

Could you not get a weather station and bring it back to your little island? Would be ideal! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Lovely day in Galway. Calm and sunny. It's cold alright but not too bad.
    As Sundays in January go, its perfect for walking or messing around the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Frequent showers in Letterkenny with some hail mixed in. Nice enough between showers

Hail showers are usually a frequent feature in winter here but have been few and far between this season. Hopefully a bit more activity in the week ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭appledrop

Lovely winters day out there. For those of you who like the cold its chilly! But lovely in sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

https://twitter.com/LaoisWeather/status/1216391090330382339

Recent hail in South Laois.

Currently 30.0mm for January.

Overnight rains gave 10.5mm.

Presently 6.2c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Yr.no forcasting a sleet-snow day in Roscommon Tuesday in the aftermath of Brendan.
    Haven't seen any mention of white stuff here - could YR be right or is it just cold rain for Tuesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A picture of a sun dog (parhelion) that forms a mini halo over Ireland's holy mountain, Croagh Patrick away in the distance about 25 minutes ago (bottom right of pic).
    Pic is not great but I like the way it just rested above the Reek!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Yr.no forcasting a sleet-snow day in Roscommon Tuesday in the aftermath of Brendan.
    Haven't seen any mention of white stuff here - could YR be right or is it just cold rain for Tuesday?

met.ie
    Tuesday: Sunny spells to begin the day over some northern parts of the country with showers, some wintry, in the west will gradually give way to the cloudier skies further south, with rain becoming widespread. Some sleet in places and some hill snow, especially over parts of the midlands

I was in Achill Island yesterday and the waves were big enough, so i can only imagine what they will be like tomorrow morning! i would not like to be in some of those houses near the sea front tomorrow morning!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Neddyusa wrote: »

sleet/snow risk for Tuesday looks minimal. maybe the highest peaks of mountains might get something wintry.

51-574UK.GIF?12-12

• Registered Users Posts: 18,167 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gonzo wrote: »
    sleet/snow risk for Tuesday looks minimal. maybe the highest peaks of mountains might get something wintry.

I'd say sleet could make it down to some lower elevations in some showers, any snow however would be limited to Hillas and as you say, peaks of mountains.

https://centaureaweather.com/weather-news/winter-half-way-point/

A blog by the netweather poster Glacier Point. Feburary might hold some promise for snow lovers according to him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

https://centaureaweather.com/weather-news/winter-half-way-point/

A blog by the netweather poster Glacier Point. Feburary might hold some promise for snow lovers according to him

I wish he would write it in English - its all gobbledygook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rotten morning in cork city. Wet and cold

Advertisement