Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As wild and wet a day as ever was. Sheeting down and a strong wind .. the ocean will overflow if this carries on!!!! ( I know; it does not)

Out here in the ocean wilderness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

First morning in a while (long while ) no rain when I opened the blinds. Can I ask is this wind unusual?
    Like we are having fairly strong gusts daily for the past 3 or 4 weeks , like at some stage everyday the wind picks up fairly strong . Slightly exposed where I am but I cannot remember wind like last like this .. on the kildare/ border

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

harr wrote: »
    First morning in a while (long while ) no rain when I opened the blinds. Can I ask is this wind unusual?
    Like we are having fairly strong gusts daily for the past 3 or 4 weeks , like at some stage everyday the wind picks up fairly strong . Slightly exposed where I am but I cannot remember wind like last like this .. on the kildare/ border

Basically the jet stream is to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

harr wrote: »
    First morning in a while (long while ) no rain when I opened the blinds.

No such luck here, yet another miserable morning. Counting down the days till I can get away to Spain for a week

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Incredibly windy here in Firhouse Dublin 24. Almost as bad as some of the recent named storms!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Bit windy here in cork city but grey skies and looks like it could rain at any minute. Everybody is fed up of the rain at this point it’s been going on for so long, can’t make any plans etc. go for a walk? Get soaked in a shower etc. here’s to hoping we all get a nice long dry spell soon but looking at the charts it’s unlikely

It is a really lovely day today! A day for staying home, snugging in with a hwb and a good fire, with a book or youtube…

Old saying. "Better to light a candle than rail at the dark"

Candle lit here.....
    See how wonderful old age can be! Stay home!

NB sheeting down horizontal rain here. Never paused all this while . The gate is cut off by a temporary small lake.. besieged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

Weather alerts Ireland Facebook page is reporting snow for Ireland next week

https://www.facebook.com/1497743413678592/posts/2658675454252043/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Weather alerts Ireland Facebook page is reporting snow for Ireland next week

https://www.facebook.com/1497743413678592/posts/2658675454252043/

Just fyi this is already being discussed in detail in the t120 + thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

RTE report on a storm that struck in Feb '88, when gusts of up to 93 knots were recorded in Belmullet and 74 knots in Dublin.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2018/0205/938526-storm-sweeps-country/

Reanalysis chart for that day:

CFSR_1_1988020912_1.png

Edit, there is a strong chance that Syran may have posted this link already, but if so, was not meant to override, it's just that I did not see it.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Wind worse than alot of our so called storms..Galway..So when there suppose to be a storm theres no storm and when theres no storm forecast it is stormy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very windy in South Wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Graces7 wrote: »
    It is a really lovely day today! A day for staying home, snugging in with a hwb and a good fire, with a book or youtube…

Old saying. "Better to light a candle than rail at the dark"

Candle lit here.....
    See how wonderful old age can be! Stay home!

NB sheeting down horizontal rain here. Never paused all this while . The gate is cut off by a temporary small lake.. besieged

Sounds rough...where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭monty_python

Just fyi this is already being discussed in detail in the t120 + thread

Didn't see that. Thanks for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Manky manky manky. Meath

Brighter here and the rain has paused. The ground is sodden and puddled

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Now the wettest month of the winter as of the 20th with 164% of average rainfall.

Recent wet Februaries in comparison including 2016.

Feb 2016: 129.3mm
    Feb 2011: 131.0mm
    Feb 2020 to 20th: 134.9mm
    Feb 2014: 191.9mm

Data via Met Éireann.

Edited the above to be up to date to February 20th. Wettest month since August in terms of relativity to average and actual rainfall total but highly likely that'll go soon.

Deluge and gale have returned. Not a nice day. No mountains . just dark clouds over everything, fogged by falling rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Sunny in Dublin City Centre but there's also very persistent, very light rain. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Wind was so horrible today cycling to work in Dublin. I'm seriously considering getting an e-bike, it's such a battle to get to work these days in the howling incessant wind.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Edited the above to be up to date to February 20th. Wettest month since August in terms of relativity to average and actual rainfall total but highly likely that'll go soon.

I am still flabbergasted that Athenry got 297mm of rain in August 2019 when it's average is 107mm.

To contrast Athenry only got 157mm in February to date and it's been very very wet.

getting darker and wetter by the minute... at least there is no storm this weekend;)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭uncle-mofo

Horrific in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

I am still flabbergasted that Athenry got 297mm of rain in August 2019 when it's average is 107mm.

To contrast Athenry only got 157mm in February to date and it's been very very wet.

I'm in Loughrea so only over the road from Athenry. August 2019 was unbelievable for rain and left South Galway very vulnerable to flooding this winter, which is now coming to pass.

Some great reading on https://southgalwayfloods.wordpress.com/ for anyone interested in the impact of all of this rain on South Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

Graces7 wrote: »
    getting darker and wetter by the minute... at least there is no storm this weekend;)

Many of my customers told me storm Ellen this weekend, hopefull not.

Well it was dry this morning all of one hour , FFS. The wind and rain returned earlier and everywhere is saturated and I notice now a lot of potholes opening up on the roads. Third week in a row now the young lads match has been postponed because of water logged pitch. I don’t mind dressing the kids to suit the weather for the odd heavy shower, you could cope with that but the constant driving wind and cold rain makes any day out just ****ing miserable.

Canonfan wrote: »
    Many of my customers told me storm Ellen this weekend, hopefull not.

A certain on line weather forecaster has been going on about Ellen the past week even though no official storm has been named yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this mornings GFS runs suggest an upgrade for unsettled conditions, particularly for rain. The long range models want to build up high pressure during March but the shorter term models are having none of it. Looks very wet over the coming 2 weeks with absolutely no let up in the very wet conditions.

ens_image.php?geoid=64981&var=201&run=6&date=2020-02-21&model=gfs&member=ENS&bw=1

With many places already beyond saturation point, I feel flooding may be a continuing concern for the final 8 days of winter and first few weeks of March.

Looks like eastern USA will get a very cold wintry spell shortly and you know what that means! it will hit the warmer Atlantic and continue to fire up the jetstream and possible storms for our direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rotten in cork city. Drizzle and some gusts of rain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pouring rain here at Dunshaughlin also, an absolute miserable day and lots of surface water. Garden is completely saturated as it has been for the past 5 months. Our grass has not been cut since the first week of September and probably won't be cut again untill we get a few weeks of dry weather whenever that happens.

Advertisement