Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Sun was out for a while in Arklow today
    Bright currently
    No rain to speak of yet
    Very windy
    Gusting up to 70kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Canonfan wrote: »
    Many of my customers told me storm Ellen this weekend, hopefull not.

I dared not utter that name! :eek: Been nothing on the forecasts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Utterly miserable in Letterkenny as usual, raining since dawn with low cloud and low visibility, still pouring down

A lot of Blue sky now in Arklow :eek:
    Not one drop of rain today
    ground is bone dry,you could go for a run
    Windy though

Utterly miserable in Letterkenny as usual, raining since dawn with low cloud and low visibility, still pouring down

I find it rather…. snug... I can stay home , light the fire, listen to the wind and rain. Enjoy the peace. Rain music...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Did the track of the rain shift south? Based on accumulation charts we were discussing yesterday Galway seems to be doing alot worse than forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Anyone in Dublin cc notice the light rain but not a cloud above? Some to the west and south but nothing overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Possibly the worst day of the year so far here in meath, dark, raining, and utterly miserable all day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mortelaro wrote: »
    A lot of Blue sky now in Arklow :eek:
    Not one drop of rain today
    ground is bone dry,you could go for a run
    Windy though

your incredibly lucky, most of the country has had a very wet day.Looking at the radar the rain is having a tough time getting to you with those Wicklow Mountains in the way. Rain looks severe over Galway, Sligo and parts of Donegal.

Gonzo wrote: »
    your incredibly lucky, most of the country has had a very wet day.Looking at the radar the rain is having a tough time getting to you with those Wicklow Mountains in the way. Rain looks severe over Galway, Sligo and parts of Donegal.

and Mayo. Heavy most of the day.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    I find it rather…. snug... I can stay home , light the fire, listen to the wind and rain. Enjoy the peace. Rain music...

Unfortunately most of us don't have that luxury :(

Really pouring down here now, river running down the road..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Like a full blown storm at times...Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Artane2002

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Anyone in Dublin cc notice the light rain but not a cloud above? Some to the west and south but nothing overhead.

Yes! It was raining lightly non-stop for hours but it was sunny at the same time. Unfortunately the proper rain has reached here not too long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Yes! It was raining lightly non-stop for hours but it was sunny at the same time. Unfortunately the proper rain has reached here not too long ago.

Light rain,

Galway is slowly sinking into the SEA, im expecting kevin Costner to show up any second to film a sequal to Waterworld or what ever its called,

Day for the high stool, if only possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

gally74 wrote: »
    Light rain,

Galway is slowly sinking into the SEA, im expecting kevin Costner to show up any second to film a sequal to Waterworld or what ever its called,

Day for the high stool, if only possible

It’s little wonder alcoholism is so common in this country. The climate literally drives people to drink.

It’s little wonder alcoholism is so common in this country. The climate literally drives people to drink.

yep its depressing lately. I work all day at a desk and come home ready to get on the gear and go out for a long walk, I adore the outdoors and normally find my walks so therapeutic. But lately its becoming a chore and 3 evenings this week I just didnt get out but stayed in beside my log stove with my delighted cats!

This weather is not good for a person's physical or mental health but hopefully things will improve soon .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

This winter feels so long its like its going on for a year at this stage...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport looks set to easily beat it's 60 year February record of 265.4mm in the next couple of days, up at over 230mm currently.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still hammering rain here in Meath, pools of water starting to lodge in the garden now as well as the driveway.

looks to be another few hours of heavy rain, side roads are surely starting to flood at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭appledrop

It was the weirdest day in Dublin. We were in and out all day + you'd think at times it was dry but then discover it was raining + sunny!.

It was extremely windy aswell so although rain was light it was hitting you at ever angle. Honestly when are the winds ever going to die down?

• Advertisement

Hooter23 wrote: »
    This winter feels so long its like its going on for a year at this stage...

February has been a horrible month. Because of all the rain + wind it feels cold all the time. Even if temperature is technically not that low wind chill factor this month has been unreal.

still hammering rain here in Meath, pools of water starting to lodge in the garden now as well as the driveway.

looks to be another few hours of heavy rain, side roads are surely starting to flood at this stage.

Not a drop in Arklow yet or all day
    We'll probably get some overnight

harr wrote: »
    First morning in a while (long while ) no rain when I opened the blinds. Can I ask is this wind unusual?
    Like we are having fairly strong gusts daily for the past 3 or 4 weeks , like at some stage everyday the wind picks up fairly strong . Slightly exposed where I am but I cannot remember wind like last like this .. on the kildare/ border

Definitely never remember it ever been so windy for such a prolonged period. It's going on for weeks + today was another very windy one. It's just ridiculous at this stage.

appledrop wrote: »
    It was the weirdest day in Dublin. We were in and out all day + you'd think at times it was dry but then discover it was raining + sunny!.

It was extremely windy aswell so although rain was light it was hitting you at ever angle. Honestly when are the winds ever going to die down?

Dublin and Wicklow seems to have escaped with much of this afternoon's heavy rain. Just a few miles north of Dublin here in south Meath and it has been raining moderate to heavy and steadily since noon. No sun or breaks in the cloud here today. An absolute washout of a day and evening.

currently the heaviest of the rain is from County Down to Kerry with all counties in between extremely wet. This rain seems to be going nowhere fast and is tracking very slowly eastwards. Kerry looks to be getting an absolute deluge at the moment, as is much of the midlands as well as Meath and Cavan, Monaghan.

Scotland looks to be in a bad way too with the central belt between Glasgow and Edinburgh getting an absolute hammering.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Not a drop in Arklow yet or all day
    We'll probably get some overnight

Mortelaro looks like we all need to move to Arklow. Seems to get the hottest days in summer + best weather in winter!

appledrop wrote: »
    Mortelaro looks like we all need to move to Arklow. Seems to get the hottest days in summer + best weather in winter!

Doomed now
    May get my geansaí :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Personally this February hasn't really bothered me in Dublin 5, in fact it's my favourite month of the winter. December and January felt like incessant grey skies, especially December. I found February 2017 to be much worse even though it was probably drier. November was a much worse month in my eyes at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Personally this February hasn't really bothered me in Dublin 5, in fact it's my favourite month of the winter. December and January felt like incessant grey skies, especially December. I found February 2017 to be much worse even though it was probably drier. November was a much worse month in my eyes at least.

If the month continued like the first week I'd agree but regardless of the sunny spells, it has gone down the tubes for me. February has actually made this my least favourite winter I've seen. November was undoubtedly worse, no contest, that was atrocious. Every winter month was sunnier and drier than November...

Such a grim outlook and start to 2020.

sryanbruen wrote: »

Such a grim outlook and start to 2020.

2019 overall was a stinker of a year for weather and so far 2020 has continued on with this. Summer 2020 and Winter 2020/2021 will hopefully deliver something a bit more seasonal and interesting this year, all we can do is hope. We are getting to the stage where we desperately need a proper prolonged dry spell and we need one as soon as possible. It's been game, set and match to the Atlantic for what seems like forever, I think we could all do with a change!

• Advertisement

2019 overall was a stinker of a year for weather and so far 2020 has continued on with this. Summer 2020 and Winter 2020/2021 will hopefully deliver something a bit more seasonal and interesting this year, all we can do is hope. We are getting to the stage where we desperately need a proper prolonged dry spell and we need one as soon as possible. It's been game, set and match to the Atlantic for what seems like forever, I think we could all do with a change!

A good dry, high pressure dominated spring like 2011 would be lovely, surely it has to change some time...

Advertisement