Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Very windy here West of cork city. Worse now than storm Denis. How I wish the weather would change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very windy here in Meath, some very loud gusts, not easy for sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

That’s it, that’s all I can take. I’m booking a trip today. This day next week I’ll be in Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gonzo wrote: »
    very windy here in Meath, some very loud gusts, not easy for sleeping.

Serious sleep deprivation has set in out here … Nothing new so hunkering down. What more can anyone say; singing the Skye Boat Song, about wild waves and roaring wind

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heavy hailstones battering the window here, still very Stormy.- Donegal

• Advertisement

Dear Lord! Was not expecting that. I went to get a bag of turf in while the rain had paused. It is at the north facing gable end.. and OH MY ! The ocean is a turmoil.

Rounded the corner and all but took off! Grabbed a bag and hauled it back to safety.

That is a fierce old gale out there. Quite scary.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

As others have said was very wild last night, with one particularly severe gust around 1am, just after the heaviest of rain passed through. Got up this morning to find heavy planks that we use as a patio border scattered around the lawn. Last time that happened was during Ophelia!

Vicious squall with hail thrown in sideways. Sudden and LOUD

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

This storm from last night onwards has been worse than some of the named storms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Definitely. Got caught in a really vicious shower driving through Meenaroy about an hour ago, blizzard like with heavy snow blowing sideways. Lots of hail and sleet showers in Letterkenny as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another day to yet again blow you away.

It's a f**king joke at this stage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The next week is looking fairly chilly, plenty of rain and sleet at times and possibly some flakes too. Not going to talk about tomorrow's event as there is a separate thread for that.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058056155

Monday starts off briefly milder with rain and sleet clearing close to 10C in places, turning colder in the afternoon with temperatures in the mid single digits in many places

57-580UK.GIF?22-6

showers mostly of rain on Monday but turning wintry later in the evening.

Tuesday will be feeling very raw with temperatures of 3 to 5C in most parts.

81-580UK.GIF?22-6

Showers mostly wintry falling as rain, sleet, hail, graupel and snow, most frequent and heavy along the west and north. Could be a frost on Tuesday night with temperatures down to 0C in places, wintry showers in the west.

81-574UK.GIF?22-6

Wednesday another chilly day but a milder sector raising temperatures to 5 or 6C. Showers of rain and sleet, snow over hills.

Wednesday night is chilly with a frost in eastern and northern areas early in the night, A band of rain may turn to sleet and snow temporarily as it moves north-eastwards across the country introducing much milder air. How far north the milder air gets remains to be seen.

Thursday is a milder day with temperatures of 3 to 5C in the north and 7 to 11C elsewhere.

Friday into next weekend and possibly beyond looks fairly chilly and wintry, more details on this later in the week i'm sure.

as for today it's feeling a good deal colder than yesterday and still very windy, still some strong gusts here in Meath. Showers look fairly scattered away from the north. Looks fairly wintry over Donegal and NI.

Gonzo wrote: »
    as for today it's feeling a good deal colder than yesterday and still very windy, still some strong gusts here in Meath. Showers look fairly scattered away from the north. Looks fairly wintry over Donegal and NI.

Thanks for that. Thought it was just my lack of sleep; cannot get warm so am filling a hwb and giving up on the day. So cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

Definitely. Got caught in a really vicious shower driving through Meenaroy about an hour ago, blizzard like with heavy snow blowing sideways. Lots of hail and sleet showers in Letterkenny as well

Just checked Met.ie and Malin has recorded 10 successive hours of 100 km/h plus gusts, surely that is record territory ?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Pangea wrote: »
    This storm from last night onwards has been worse than some of the named storms

It feels better that way. Its a complete different mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Beginning to think this low isn't going to go far north at all.

Could be a surprise snow for central belt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Find it hard to believe but it's raining........

again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭pauldry

Raining on and off again all day in Sligo. Injured finger coz wind blew my bike down on it when parking it. Still South of us seems wetter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Horrendous night here in south Tipp. Heavy rain since about 7pm lots of local flooding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Terrible night in Galway lashing rain since around 6pm floods on roads and fields

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

nedsgarden wrote: »
    Just checked Met.ie and Malin has recorded 10 successive hours of 100 km/h plus gusts, surely that is record territory ?

There was a day last week where Mace Head recorded only 4 hours with <100 km/h gusts in a 24 hour period. I am not sure if it hit 10-in-a-row though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

We could have a new government before a hosepipe ban in 2020 at this rate :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Another big peak in the AO index today, reaching +6.19, slightly below the record breaking Feb value +6.34 back on the 10th but still impressive in its own right.

M2sFrUg.png

New Moon

152mm since 7th February. 2k of floods near collooney. Worst since 2009 1991 and 1986

Wild and wet out here and flood warnings out for Mayo; eg please do not try to drive through flooded roads. Chilly in the dampness of the air.

The wind has changed to a more northerly airt.
    There was a redoubtable old lady up on the North Sea island who always used to use the dialect word for direction.

Good that I am used to being indoors else would get cabin fever...

Stay safe and dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A nice bright morning here in Castlebar with just light winds. A day to get out and enjoy a brief gap between weather systems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Currently 44.3mm above the average rainfall for February in cork city with plenty more to come I presume, same for stations right around the country, especially the west. Hopefully any flood damage won’t be too bad if it does occur

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭appledrop

What is that bright thing in the sky!!!!!!!!

I'm actually in shock. Another dreary morning but then it cleared + sun is shining. Delighted to get out + enjoy it while we can.

• Advertisement

appledrop wrote: »
    What is that bright thing in the sky!!!!!!!!

I'm actually in shock. Another dreary morning but then it cleared + sun is shining. Delighted to get out + enjoy it while we can.

I think that's Venus but I dont know what that blue stuff is around it

Advertisement