Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

appledrop wrote: »
    What is that bright thing in the sky!!!!!!!!

I'm actually in shock. Another dreary morning but then it cleared + sun is shining. Delighted to get out + enjoy it while we can.

All blissfully quiet and bright out here too; still serious windchill though... may potter a while. Counted over 12 healthy lupin seedlings I grew last year so need to find a place to pot them on.

Thoughts of spring and summer creep in !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Now the wettest month of the winter as of the 22nd with 185% of average rainfall.

Recent wet Februaries in comparison including 2016.

Feb 2016: 129.3mm
    Feb 2011: 131.0mm
    Feb 2020 to 22nd: 153.0mm
    Feb 2014: 191.9mm

Data via Met Éireann.

Updated the above now to the 22nd. It is the wettest month relative to average since December 2015! It is also the wettest month in terms of actual rainfall total since January 2018.

Shannon Airport is currently having its 4th wettest February on record with 176.4mm standing behind only Februaries 1990, 2014 and 2002. It's the 2nd wettest February on record at Claremorris with 217.7mm, standing behind only February 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,647 ✭✭✭giveitholly

What is that bright thing in the sky!!!!!!!!

I'm actually in shock. Another dreary morning but then it cleared + sun is shining. Delighted to get out + enjoy it while we can.

Yeah sun out here as well and can feel a bit of heat from it,feels a bit like spring

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Feeling absolutely baltic and breezy in Dublin right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Feeling very mild around the Aviva.

*Twickenham :D Losing my bearings!

Only here once before, 1994, let's hope for a similar result!

• Advertisement

Actually took a cup of coffee outside! Too chilly to be out too long but lovely all the same... :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Feeling very mild around the Aviva.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Lanzarote this morning
    tDWmeaA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Very mild in waterford, last few nights have had to kick off the duvet and have the window open. There is a stuffiness to the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well it may have been sunny but Jesus once it went in it was Baltic! Unfortunately still windy aswell.

Brrrrrr home for the rugby to a nice warm house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Well it may have been sunny but Jesus once it went in it was Baltic! Unfortunately still windy aswell.

Brrrrrr home for the rugby to a nice warm house.

Better of out in the cold than watch that **** show

A gift of a day. I was only outside a short while with my coffee but it lightened and blessed the whole day.. and I have 16 wee lupins and a marigold bud opening...Had almost forgotten what it is like to just sit and enjoy the air and scenery. Usually dashing out head down and diving back in.

Utterly still and deeply quiet now. Just... a healing, after the last while.

I know the gale will come tonight, but the break has been treasured. NB a very warm house now so no idea what it is like outside...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Naggdefy wrote: »

So it's your fault they played so badly. You should have stayed at home:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

So it's your fault they played so badly. You should have stayed at home:p

Well no :) I was there in 1994. Simon Geoghegan try :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note:Posts removed. No need for the personal jibes Naggdefy.

Stay on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Booked my flights today for next week. Costa del sol here I come. Definitely going to retire to a warm climate when I’m old.

vladmydad wrote: »
    Booked my flights today for next week. Costa del sol here I come. Definitely going to retire to a warm climate when I’m old.

That was why I left the North Isles for Ireland; to get away from the gales and storms...get some sun on my bones :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,268 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Galway City 43.8 mm fell in the past 24h

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport has now had it's wettest February on record, it is up at 283.2mm currently.

2020 - 283.2mm
    1990 - 265.6mm
    2002 - 261.2mm

358.1mm is still the overall monthly record which was December 1999.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

That was why I left the North Isles for Ireland; to get away from the gales and storms...get some sun on my bones :rolleyes:

Should have done your research in advance :pac:

• Advertisement

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Should have done your research in advance :pac:

Oh I did; was here in the late 70s and nothing like this then.

And you have no idea what the weather is like up there. :eek:

Climate change is a reality

Three day gales.. winds up to 127 MILES per hour. Around 4 hours daylight in winter...whole summers with no sun.

It is ********* cold out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Xenji wrote: »
    Newport has now had it's wettest February on record, it is up at 283.2mm currently.

2020 - 283.2mm
    1990 - 265.6mm
    2002 - 261.2mm

358.1mm is still the overall monthly record which was December 1999.

Claremorris is already on its second highest Feb total on record, but still a good bit behind the record of 251.2mm (1990)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Claremorris is already on its second highest Feb total on record, but still a good bit behind the record of 251.2mm (1990)

Everywhere I go do do
    I always take the weather with me do do

Sky here around this time last year, when temps easily got into the mid-teens, peaking at 16.0c on the 25th.

aIKnSpo.png

I'm thinking that we won't be seeing a repeat this time around. That wind out there would cut you in two.

New Moon

km79 wrote: »
    Everywhere I go do do
    I always take the weather with me do do

You're a jinx!

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Sky here around this time last year, when temps easily got into the mid-teens, peaking at 16.0c on the 25th.

aIKnSpo.png

I'm thinking that we won't be seeing a repeat this time around. That wind out there would cut you in two.

the next two weeks look rather cold indeed with temperatures between 1 and 3C below average with a few milder interludes. Certainly a world away from the summer conditions of last February!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A dry day with sunny spells here in Castlebar. Cool in a fresh NW breeze. Far better day that i was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,828 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Like a lot places around the country, there are floods in fields i've never seen before, and rivers very close to flooding the road. The fresh breeze and dry conditions today will help a bit, though. It will be very interesting to see does this February turn out wetter than 2014( i was not here for that one). It's certainly the wettest February I can remember in a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gonzo wrote: »
    the next two weeks look rather cold indeed with temperatures between 1 and 3C below average with a few milder interludes. Certainly a world away from the summer conditions of last February!

I can live with that but it's been a constant storm in Dublin for weeks now. Today is really windy. Any sign of that dying down?

Advertisement