Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes the past two weeks has been memorable for the flooding. We have a small mill race beside the house. The median flood level of the river that feeds it is 2.48m, it is currently at 2.9m and more or less peaked at that. The river level normally sits at 0.5m or so. The highest flood on record is 3.4m from December 1968, so some way to go to reach that level. Luckily our house is built up away from it but I'm worried one day it may flood the septic tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

Beautiful day here on the beara peninsula.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Beautiful day here on the beara peninsula.

LOVE that place and miss it so much! Enjoy!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I can live with that but it's been a constant storm in Dublin for weeks now. Today is really windy. Any sign of that dying down?

winds won't be as bad but it's still going to be windy/gusty at times over the next 2 weeks with a very active jetsteam.

fairly gusty tomorrow, particularly during showers.
    33-289UK.GIF?24-12

Wednesday and Thursday are looking like the calmest day's in quite a while with only light winds.

next weekend we are back to windy conditions and plenty of precipitation.

120-289UK.GIF?24-12

More windy weather is suggested after this into the first week of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

What's the weather like in the run up to Cheltenham? I'd imagine the ground will be soft/heavy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Gonzo wrote: »
    winds won't be as bad but it's still going to be windy/gusty at times over the next 2 weeks with a very active jetsteam.

fairly gusty tomorrow, particularly during showers

Wednesday and Thursday are looking like the calmest day's in quite a while with only light winds.

next weekend we are back to windy conditions and plenty of precipitation.

More windy weather is suggested after this into the first week of March.

This is not the news I needed on a Monday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

RTE has it to be very windy in Dublin at the weekend anyway!

Loughc wrote: »
    This is not the news I needed on a Monday :(

I thought it was Friday today? See what sleep deprivation does! Gales and hail will do it every time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

Has to be one of the wettest + windiest Feb ever on record. Oh + just to really rub it in its freezing cold aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Was watching the bbc weather there. They reminded us that on 26th Feb last year it reached 21 C in Kew Gardens, London. Difference a year makes.

Over the next couple of days a significant wind chill with temps no higher than 6 C across Ireland but certainly feeling more like freezing or just below with that wind.

Wonder will these wintry showers reach the east coast and give us a dusting here. One would assume the Dublin and Wicklow mountains will get pasted if the showers do manage to reach the east coast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

pouring rain south mayo

Icy rain and bitterly stonkingly cccccold.. west mayo offshore

Graces7 wrote: »
    LOVE that place and miss it so much! Enjoy!

Another beautiful start to the day in the sunny south west
    Beara peninsula

Howling winds and sudden sun and hail and rain hurled against the windows.

A loud and rather obnoxious day ! And bitterly ,inhospitably cold .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Clare, Cork and Kerry

Northwest winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 60km/h with gusts of 90 to 100 km/h. Strongest gusts associated with showers.

Valid: 14:00 Tuesday 25/02/2020 to 23:00 Tuesday 25/02/2020

Issued: 14:39 Tuesday 25/02/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It is now the wettest February on record at long-term stations, Casement Aerodrome with 137.8mm as of the 24th compared to 127.8mm in February 2002, and Shannon Airport with 205.7mm again as of the 24th compared to 204.7mm in February 1990.

Data from Met Éireann.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

will be interesting to see how long more we stay in the current very unsettled pattern that's in place since September. I don't think I can remember a wetter 6 month period in my lifetime since the 1970s. My garden right now is a basket case of mud, saturated soil and the constant sound of squelch. It's going to take 6 weeks of dry weather to bring the garden back to normal, so I've no idea when i'll be able to cut the grass this Spring. Last time I saw it like this was in 2012 and before that 2008, but not lasting half a year!

We need this pattern to change as soon as possible, particularly for central and western areas of the country which are already in trouble from flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Well above 220mm this Feb so far locally, but as wet as this Winter has been, I don't think it will finish on the same level as that of 2013-2014. Just looking at Claremorris data and it is also moving closer to breaking its all time Feb total. Just needs another 6.0mm or so to get there.

New Moon

Dunsany is now at 135.7 for the month of February. This is just 19mm shy of November 2019 with 154mm, which was the wettest month of 2019.

This time last year we were still in a relatively dry pattern which persisted most of the way through 2018 and into early 2019. Last February finished with 34.5mm. August 2019 is when the pattern completely changed to a very wet one and here we are end of February still dealing with the deluges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Bone dry all day in Dublin 5, can see big clouds to my north and south.

• Advertisement

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Bone dry all day in Dublin 5, can see big clouds to my north and south.

first properly dry day here at Dunshaughlin for a long time too, showers to my north and south all day too, not a drop of rain since last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The highest monthly rainfall total during the period 1-24 February was observed at Newport, Co Mayo with 283.5 mm (224% of its LTA).
    While the highest daily rainfall total was 51.5 mm on Saturday 8 February 2020 at Knock Airport, Co Mayo (50% of its monthly LTA). (Met eireann)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

This cold we get in from the atlantic feels much worse than the east...Its the icy wet dampness in the air that makes it all the worse

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Longest winter ever going from Sept to now still freezing and rain every day. Before that down in Cork we had a truly miserable wet summer. Weather here has never been so bad.

Another beautiful start to the day in the sunny south west
    Beara peninsula

It took a bad turn around 3ish. Short showers of rain hail and sleet with moderate wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

It looks like this corona virus might upset my sun getaway trip next week, I can’t even escape this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

vladmydad wrote: »
    It looks like this corona virus might upset my sun getaway trip next week, I can’t even escape this weather.

I now. We usually only go abroad in summer but it's been so miserable we have booked to go in April this year. Who knows now what will happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Sleve bloom
    7V3PVS3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

vladmydad wrote: »

hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Offaly today

Snowy afternoon in Ireland

http://imgur.com/gallery/TWP2g6k

Advertisement