Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It was lovely here earlier but heavy rain now - and no real wind,,, Bliss

And wonderful clouds earlier,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭pauldry

Over 200mm of rain for the 3rd month in 12 now.

Weather is having a laugh.

We must be due a drought Summer

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Graces7 wrote: »
    It was lovely here earlier but heavy rain now - and no real wind,,, Bliss

And wonderful clouds earlier,

Like you too Graces, I have enjoyed the lovely cloudscapes of the past couple of mornings.The mountains also got a nice white dusting overnight.
    Here is a pic of the clouds looking out your direction yesterday morning.

PS I burnt my breakfast getting the cloud photos.. Just nipped out with the camera. got totally rapt.. came back in to smoke! The things we do! Oh and it was worth it

Lovely out now; could (almost) go for a walk, and hey! A marigold is out...

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Ireland’s Weather Channel is it worth following ? Radio Kerry mentioned them as part of there weather section on their news this morning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

je551e wrote: »
    Ireland’s Weather Channel is it worth following ? Radio Kerry mentioned them as part of there weather section on their news this morning

Yes....if you like sensation and thrill (and disappointment). :p

Someone on the other thread mentioned Ellen? as in storm?

And if we think we have trouble? Just seen the photos of the Severn in England that has burst its banks .. terrible sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

je551e wrote: »
    If you like the idea of following someone who invents his own weather warnings and names his own storms. It’s really only for the likes of people on Facebook who believe anything that is put on Facebook.
    The local rags and news outlets like it because anything he says sounds sensational and gets more people sharing the story ( forecast)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Claremorris is already on its second highest Feb total on record, but still a good bit behind the record of 251.2mm (1990)

Now on 257.8mm, February 2020 has now become the wettest Feb on record in Claremorris. Coincidentally enough, it was this time last year when the same station was breaking its all time Feb max temp record.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Any sign of a bit of warmth in the long range models ? With the long evenings now going to waste on this weather I'd love to get a bit of gardening and fishing done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yes....if you like sensation and thrill (and disappointment). :p

Thanks I don’t I just found it strange they referenced it and was wondering worth a follow . Hate the made up stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport is over 300mm of rain today putting at the 6th wettest month recorded at the station, I don't think it will break the record but will probably top 1993s total of 337.50mm.

Dec 1999 - 358.1mm
    Dec 1966 - 342.2mm
    Dec 1993 - 337.5mm
    Nov 2015 - 335.4mm
    Nov 2009 - 322.6mm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rainfall totals will most likely go up quite a bit on Friday and Saturday adding to the already very high totals nationwide. Up to 50 mm of rain is possible between now and midnight Saturday/Sunday morning, particularly in the west and south-west and over high ground.

ECMWF_096_GB_APC_fr-FR_fr.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Plenty more heavy showers today in Letterkenny, honestly can't remember the last time we had a day that wasn't a washout

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam co Galway 10 inchs so far this month it's like November 09 all over again
    7FkMSVP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,927 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Most of the lower part of Mahon Falls Waterford had the snow melting but the high road still was impassible with some drifts of 1 to 2 feet. Could see clouds coming so might be some more on higher ground tonight if conditions are right.
    https://twitter.com/LeahBurgessIre/status/1232752458805514241?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Xenji wrote: »
    Newport is over 300mm of rain today putting at the 6th wettest month recorded at the station, I don't think it will break the record but will probably top 1993s total of 337.50mm.

Dec 1999 - 358.1mm
    Dec 1966 - 342.2mm
    Dec 1993 - 337.5mm
    Nov 2015 - 335.4mm
    Nov 2009 - 322.6mm

It might if you take into account there will be 29 days this February vs 31 days in any December and 30 days in any November.

A blessedly quiet night wind- wise, with a few heavy deluges and a still, bright morning but with a serious deep chill. Shivers.. Blue sky chasing the clouds away. Lovely to see the sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Just got a memory on my phone of a video from 27th Feb 2018 at around 7pm. The start of what became the beast from the East. Oh take me back. Two years ago already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Fantastic day here in Laois, sun shining and very few clouds . Didn’t realise how much I missed the sun even though it’s cold it’s dry and a tiny bit of heat in that sun .. it’s depressing to look at forecast over weekend..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Westside Galway 27/02/20 8.05 temperature 2°C
    M93Dk7H.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Snowing heavily here in Brussels for the past few hours, not sticking though. Glad I got to see some snowfall this winter anyway, as mild as it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭appledrop

An absolutely beautiful sunny morning. You dont realise how much you miss the sun until it's gone. It's actually been so dull more like Nov/Dec.

This is what Feb weather should be like.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »
    An absolutely beautiful sunny morning. You dont realise how much you miss the sun until it's gone. It's actually been so dull more like Nov/Dec.

This is what Feb weather should be like.

today is easily one of the nicest days of the year so far. The past 3 days haven't been bad in fairness with very little precipitation. The ground is starting to dry up here now after 3 relatively dry and sunny days. You can tell Spring is only a day away, there is warmth in that sun today, despite the not so mild temperature. Sadly we know this mini dry and settled spell is over by tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Met Éireann have confirmed that Phoenix Park has had its wettest February on record too, records began in 1850.

Snowing heavily here in Brussels for the past few hours, not sticking though. Glad I got to see some snowfall this winter anyway, as mild as it was.

Not a flake out here, but the far mountains are wondrously draped; a lovely sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

gfs-0-48.png?12

The 12Z GFS. This storm isn't getting much attention, but it could be the worst of the winter, one that sneaks up without warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Naggdefy wrote: »

The 12Z GFS. This storm isn't getting much attention, but it could be the worst of the winter, one that sneaks up without warning.

Storm Jorge.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058057503

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Grand day, plenty of sunshine and blue sky, the weather teasing us again, oh ye like that dry sunny weather, do ye, well thats enough of that, it back to wind and rain for ye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Beautiful day in Galway. Great to see

Advertisement