Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty engagement ring

Options
  • 18-08-2019 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi all
    Would appreciate some advice. We purchased my engagement ring (halo) in Jan 2017 from a reputable jeweler. It was band new and made from platinum. I cared for the ring carefully always removing it going to the gym etc.

I got the ring cleaned when we were getting wedding bands and the new jeweler making the wedding band thought that the prongs holding the diamond didn't look strong enough and to get it checked with the original jeweler. When I went in they dismissed my worry and said it was fine. 3 months later my big diamond fell out in bed!

The ring went back to be repaired by the manufacturer (I didn't want the shop to fix it). 5 months on from it getting repaired I notice one of the prongs was discoloured.. Turns out they used yellow gold to fix the prongs and it discoloured. My engagement ring is now being remade.

This is the second time I've had to send it away due to faults and I've had no ring in the mean time. What should I do next?
    Do I have any options? I was very attached to the ring. Should they offer me anything apart from this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod note: Moved from the Weddings forum to Consumer Issues, which feels more suitable.

Cokezero wrote: »
    Should they offer me anything apart from this?

60k in damages I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Cokezero wrote: »
    Should they offer me anything apart from this?

What in particular would you want?

The retailer has to offer one of the 3 r's. Repair, replace or refund. Not in that order. If you chose a repair, then the repair must last. In this case you can ask for a refund or a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

You’re lucky they offered to fix it. I know of someone who had a similar issue and were told sorry it’s fair wear and tear and you should have the prints inspected regularly. Worse than your case they had lost a diamond too.
    They have offered to repair it, I think that’s the best you can hope for being honest.

Advertisement