Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I was really disappointed to see Dan sent off last night. I thought Jamie, the young lad, was absolutely useless in technical and his show stopper was something 5yo could do. I hope he's gone the next week. After all, if you knew , you were going to be on this show, wouldn't you try to go through as many classic recipes as you can, that at least you have an idea what to do?! Not knowing how to do basic genoise sponge and calling yourself a baker? cmon, I wouldn't dare so...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I don't think that Jamie didn't know how to do a genoise sponge more that he couldn't get it right. A few of them had flat sponges in the technical. Dan's cake in the signature was raw and his showstopper was missing the passionfruit curd he spoke about and he dug a hole for himself by insisting it was further inside the cake. If you say things like that Paul will go hunting for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I enjoyed the first episode. Interesting to see how many of the bakers messed up the technical, given that it seemed a lot less complicated than previous years. And the recipe seemed more detailed than it usually was.
    I thought Dan deserved to stay over Jamie, his dog cake was very very basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Man, that small kid from Diversity grew up.... :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Good start.
    I like Amelia, Henry and Helena.
    I really don’t like David.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Thought they were going to be way more skilled than it showed on Tuesday given the stuff in the papers over the weekend that they had done previously although I imagine they spent hours making them at home!

First ep was good. Didn't really warm to anyone. Found the guy who made the fat free fruit cake pretty annoying but his showstopper was very cool! I thought there was a few great looking showstoppers actually. Looking forward to next week. I like when the numbers get smaller and I can really start to back someone to win!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Found the guy who made the fat free fruit cake pretty annoying but his showstopper was very cool!
    That’s David.
    I thought he seemed conceited.

Addle wrote: »
    That’s David.
    I thought he seemed conceited.

Yeah that's him. Maybe he'll grow on me!

• Advertisement

Can't remember the names either but the guy with no fingers left :) was great. Loved his treasure chest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Was away all week (and had warned my friends NO SPOILERS!) so just catching up tonight. Not sure what to make of most of them yet and I couldn't pick a winner at all, although when I saw the contestants online, for some reason Helena jumped out at me so we'll see. Last year I picked Rahul on the first night and the year before I picked Sophie on the first night! The year before I almost got it right with Andrew because he did get to the final. This year, nope, no one jumped out at me.

Not particularly keen on Rosie. She reminds me a bit of Flora from the Nadiya year. Could be a big smug. I suspect she has an aga
    Kind of liked Steph. I liked both of the young guys, Jamie and Henry. I think Henry could do well.
    I was surprised when Phil (the older guy) came so low down in the technical. I thought his angel cakes looked the best by far and if I remember correctly both Paul and Prue said they tasted nice.
    Michael seemed okay (the guy who kept cutting his fingers)

Roll on Tuesday night :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Looking forward to this tonight - did someone say this is biscuit week?

miamee wrote: »
    Looking forward to this tonight - did someone say this is biscuit week?

yep biccies! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Whoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Jamie is brutal.

A few bad bakes at the end. A few could have gone.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Jamie is brutal.

He certainly deserved to go!

David still annoys me. Just something about him I don't like but I have to say his showstopper looked great.

The vets chicken was incredible though!! That took some skill!

I enjoyed some lovely homemade pear cake and custard while I watched that! :) (Made by my partner, not me!)

I'm not mad on David either and still not warming to Rosie.

I think Amelia could be the next to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,549 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Paul is a lot stricter with the handshakes, he was giving them out for fun last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

siblers wrote: »
    Paul is a lot stricter with the handshakes, he was giving them out for fun last year

Paul is back with his good old bad cop behavior. Love seeing how unimpressed he comes across :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Can't remember who it was reading the minimal instructions.: "'Bake biscuits'..... Paul writes cookery books, mate!" lol

Can't remember who it was reading the minimal instructions.: "'Bake biscuits'..... Paul writes cookery books, mate!" lol

That was the young guy with the glasses, I think his name is Michael?
    I missed the first challenge 9I'll catch up on it later) but I think Alice and the vet (I can't remember her name) are doing quite well so far. And the girl from Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I thought the Sheep,Chicken and spider were really good.
    I agreed with Jamie going, poor lad didn't get anything right in the two weeks.

Looking forward to bread week next week. Every single year bar one, whoever was star baker in bread week went onto the final, so this is the week to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I'm glad to see this Jamie lad gone. They should've kicked him out last week - it was obvious from the start he was useless and not taking it seriously enough.

He certainly deserved to go!

David still annoys me. Just something about him I don't like but I have to say his showstopper looked great.

The vets chicken was incredible though!! That took some skill!

I enjoyed some lovely homemade pear cake and custard while I watched that! :) (Made by my partner, not me!)

I thought your pear cake could have done with a few more minutes in the oven, and the presentation needed to be tidied up a small bit.

Not a bad effort though.

ebbsy wrote: »
    I thought your pear cake could have done with a few more minutes in the oven, and the presentation needed to be tidied up a small bit.

Not a bad effort though.

:( I had hopes for Star Baker! I even gave himself a handshake. Harsh ebbsy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Ronanc1

Very cold on a lot of them this year. Lots of playing up to the camera "Haha I'm so random...I'm such a disaster" etc and that fúckíng smug semi permanent smirky face the traveling doctor/nurse guy has is irritating as hell.

• Advertisement

Ronanc1 wrote: »
    ...that fúckíng smug semi permanent smirky face the traveling doctor/nurse guy has is irritating as hell.

Woah!!! So harsh...I totally agree! :D I think you just pinpointed my issue with him. Smug smirky face! :D:D

Advertisement