Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building costs excluding windows, kitchen, flooring

Options
  • 18-08-2019 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Any ideas on average cost per metre for building and renovation costs excluding windows, flooring, kitchen and sanitary ware? I’m trying to work out from our budget how much I can spend on these things but still have enough money for the actual build. I would need the builder to put down the flooring (tiles and laminate) and install the sanitary ware and tile three bathroom walls.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ruby2Shoes wrote: »
    Any ideas on average cost per metre for building and renovation costs excluding windows, flooring, kitchen and sanitary ware? I’m trying to work out from our budget how much I can spend on these things but still have enough money for the actual build. I would need the builder to put down the flooring (tiles and laminate) and install the sanitary ware and tile three bathroom walls.

Your looking for a very strange and bespoke quote.
    Best to get 3 builders on to price excluding exactly what you want and then you’ll get an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ruby2Shoes

kceire wrote: »
    Your looking for a very strange and bespoke quote.
    Best to get 3 builders on to price excluding exactly what you want and then you’ll get an idea.

Thanks. I thought it was a straightforward enough question about building costs as I thought this would be pretty much the same for most houses. Then you can either buy cheap or expensive kitchens, windows, floors and sanitary ware depending on your budget.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ruby2Shoes wrote: »
    Thanks. I thought it was a straightforward enough question about building costs as I thought this would be pretty much the same for most houses. Then you can either buy cheap or expensive kitchens, windows, floors and sanitary ware depending on your budget.

No, not straight forward at all based on the specific exclusion list and then the specific add on for fitting.

Who is supplying the floors, sanitary ware etc?
    If the builder only fits them, where does the warranty lie if there's a defect?

You could be mixing up PC sums which would normally be giving by the builder for kitchen, flooring and tiling. So you take the full build and minus the PC sums to see the actual build cost and you can add to or reduce the money available to the PC sum items such as kitchen etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

OP this is what you would use a QS (Quantity Surveyor) for.
    For now just assume that you will be getting average quality everything and then when your quotes comes in you can figure out how much extra is in your budget to upgrade to higher end.

Alternative is to get the insurance rebuild cost per m2 which will include standard finish, calculate based on your house size and then extrapolate the cost of the items you are trying to exclude.
    e.g. tiles for anywhere between €8/m2 to anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

RIAI have a guide on their site. Reno for existing house 1800-2000 per sq m.
    That would include new kitchen and windows though.
    Google RIAI cost guidelines 2019. Look at page 9.

• Advertisement
Advertisement