Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi router with parental control

• 18-08-2019 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a home wifi router (that takes in my DSL internet connection), which also gives me full parental control - cutting connection in the evening to certain devices and blocking dodgy content.
    I know there's the iKydz device, but €99 sounds a bit steep. I'd imagine theres devices I could get on aliexpress and the likes for €40ish?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

kelbal wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a home wifi router (that takes in my DSL internet connection), which also gives me full parental control - cutting connection in the evening to certain devices and blocking dodgy content.
    I know there's the iKydz device, but €99 sounds a bit steep. I'd imagine theres devices I could get on aliexpress and the likes for €40ish?

Can you buy router for €40 ? Might be.

Can you buy router that has all features you're looking for for €40 ? Doubt that.

Depending on current router model you might have some controls already there.
    Have not used that device, but judging by its size and lack of external antennas, guess WiFi coverage won't be great and depending on area, you might need to get additional WiFi extenders to increase coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you can find one on Aliexpress for that price then go for it.

An alternative might be a used model .... maybe something like an F2000 from someone who has left Eir that has both URL and Time filters which can be applied to individual devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭65535

Checkout the Fritz Box range, most have parental controls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Also check out opendns content filtering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

You pay the extra for convenience, yes you can get a cheaper device that will most likely do everything their device will do with a little faffing but then you don't get what I would expect to be a nice-easy-point-click app like the 'iKydz Parental Controller App' you use with their device.
    I'm all for using services like OpenDNS etc. but I also like less hassle when others can admin something without me having to hack around when someone wants Timmy's new laptop to not have internet access after 8pm :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement