Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Youtuber - cold shower punishment for 2 yr old

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You think they just want to do it for the heck of it?

Couldn't tell you without being psychic.

That being said, I don't understand the mindset of people abuse kids (or anyone) anyway so that doesn't prove a whole lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

What's this about a bed full of excrement?
    What is wrong with forcing some discomfort on a child ?

Is that wrong?

I mean i don't know but is it? Truly all discomfort?
    Depends on the context/intent.
    You think they just want to do it for the heck of it?
    To punish, as they said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Raconteuse wrote: »
    What's this about a bed full of excrement?

Depends on the context/intent.

To punish, as they said.
    What is punishment for? To correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭dickangel

Because it's not being forced on them as punishment? As far as we know...

Your comparison with kids playing in the snow to a toddler being punished with a cold shower is a false one.

Imagine kids swimming in a pool and having fun, then imagine parents tossing a toddler in the pool when they don't want to go in. Not the same is it?

dickangel wrote: »
    The kids in the picture are having fun so the toddler being shoved into the cold shower must be too. Or something?
    Those children are in deepest siberia. Throwing buckets of freezing water over themselves.
    One poster is claiming they look abused. :rolleyes:

The saccone joly child is indoors in the UK in August. They probably gave her a cold shower for 60 secs and then dried her off and dressed her.

a cold shower is hardly child abuse

'mom' is word you dont see a lot from irish people

thats two observations id make

Because it's not being forced on them as punishment? As far as we know...

Your comparison with kids playing in the snow to a toddler being punished with a cold shower is a false one.

Imagine kids swimming in a pool and having fun, then imagine parents tossing a toddler in the pool when they don't want to go in. Not the same is it?

Oh i had to do it as a kid. I got no choice. It was like putting your toe in the swimming pool. You had to go in you didn't like it at first.

Those children are being given FREEZING showers in siberia outdoors in winter in the snow.

You have just never seen it so you think it always has to be this big dramatic event where children cry. It isnt.

And of course you all think you know so much better. These children must be abused.

And I am sure if the child was really upset by it they would simply try something else.

• Advertisement

a cold shower is hardly child abuse
    It's not a reasonable punishment for a two-year-old, is all people are saying.

Its not an informed opinion.

They are incorrect judging from my practical experience.

I think judging from the opinion formed that the above children looked 'abused'. I would think those people don't have a lot of experience with it to be able to form an accurate opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You have just never seen it so you think it always has to be this big dramatic event where children cry. It isnt.

And of course you all think you know so much better. These children must be abused.

You’re missing the crucial difference though between something that’s done where the intent is to punish the child, and something that’s done where there is no intent to punish the child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Those children are in deepest siberia. Throwing buckets of freezing water over themselves.
    One poster is claiming they look abused. :rolleyes:

The saccone joly child is indoors in the UK in August. They probably gave her a cold shower for 60 secs and then dried her off and dressed her.

The children in deepest Siberia ( so my Russian friend has just informed me) have most likely just ran out of a sauna to douse off with cold water before running straight back indoors. She advises me this is far from pleasant and the notion that you can play out barefoot and almost naked in those temperatures for any length of time is laughable.

The fact that you would advovate physical punishment of any kind or duration on a toddler being toilet trained for making a mess is shocking.

But I'm sure you'll just keep posting about how your mother gave you ice baths. Because this thread can't be about the child in the OP can it?

doesnt seem *un*reasonable tbh.

i mean, is anything stronger than the naughty step considered reasonable these days?

But kids in Siberia do it for fun. Apparently that means something. Let's just ignore the fact that they are older and appear to want to do it, and also completely ignore the potential anxieties a 2 year old may develop after being put in a cold shower for being bold.

• Advertisement

You’re missing the crucial difference though between something that’s done where the intent is to punish the child, and something that’s done where there is no intent to punish the child.

whats the difference between an ice-cream where the intent is to punish and one where there isnt

And I am sure if the child was really upset by it they would simply try something else.

How are you sure?

But kids in Siberia do it for fun. Apparently that means something. Let's just ignore the fact that they are older and appear to want to do it, and also completely ignore the potential anxieties a 2 year old may develop after being put in a cold shower for being bold.

Let's also ignore the fact that they can only run out and straight back in again without doing serious harm to themselves.

But kids in Siberia do it for fun. Apparently that means something. Let's just ignore the fact that they are older and appear to want to do it, and also completely ignore the potential anxieties a 2 year old may develop after being put in a cold shower for being bold

Toddlers are given cold baths too and babies.

I don't think you are informed enough to be able to form an opinion. You are speaking from ignorance. And you don't seem to have practical experience of children and cold showers.

Child abuse is a very serious accusation.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Let's also ignore the fact that they can only run out and straight back in again without doing serious harm to themselves.
    They stay out there a while.

And please be sensible. That family is in the UK in a house in the middle of summer.

Newborn babies Russia.

*awaits cries of ABUSE ABUSE*

• Advertisement

I don't think you are informed enough to be able to form an opinion. You are speaking from ignorance. And you don't seem to have practical experience of children and cold showers.

You advocated slapping a toddler for messing a bed. I think your grasp of what constitutes child abuse is weak at best.

Your logic is flawed. Are Siberian children given cold baths as punishment? If not then it's not relevant. And your personal experience is also irrelevant.

They stay out there a while.

And please be sensible. That family is in the UK in a house in the middle of summer.

According to my Russian friend, from Russia, who actually did this kind of thing with her family, that's not possible.

[HTML][/HTML]
    According to my Russian friend, from Russia, who actually did this kind of thing with her family, that's not possible.

You have no russian friend.

What is a christening? Do they warm the water up or what?

Sorry not catholic my experience is limited.

At 15 below, frostbite will happen at 15 minutes on exposed skin. And Siberia gets quite a bit colder than that in winter.

What is a christening? Do they warm the water up or what?

Sorry not catholic my experience is limited.

A trickle of water on a baby's head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

whats the difference between an ice-cream where the intent is to punish and one where there isnt

The difference is intent of giving the child the ice-cream. It could mean the difference between the parents having no case to answer for, an intervention by social services, or the parents being charged with child neglect.

I’m not going to get too het up about the allegations in this case if it’s the same idiots that are known for faking drama to increase their viewing figures.

At 15 below, frostbite will happen at 15 minutes on exposed skin. And Siberia gets quite a bit colder than that in winter.
    yeah i kind of know that.

A bit different to the UK in August no?

[HTML][/HTML]

You have no russian friend.
    I'm not the fantasist around here.

But well done. Yet another thread made all about yo

• Advertisement

I’m not going to get too het up about the allegations in this case if it’s the same idiots that are known for faking drama to increase their viewing figures.

That's them. Also their crazy viewers.

in soviet russia, shower has cold you

yeah i kind of know that.

A bit different to the UK in August no?

I'm responding to you saying that the kids stay out there a while. They don't. A few seconds if anything.

I'm responding to you saying that the kids stay out there a while. They don't. A few seconds if anything.
    Much longer i did it as a kid.

Tell me more about your russian friend sardonicat??

Its siberia.

I'm not the fantasist around here.

But well done. Yet another thread made all about you.

Must be great to have so much personal experience in every conceivable topic ever.

Its not an informed opinion.

They are incorrect judging from my practical experience.

I think judging from the opinion formed that the above children looked 'abused'. I would think those people don't have a lot of experience with it to be able to form an accurate opinion.
    They don't look abused imo to be fair, but you're not comparing like with like - children having fun versus a punishment. Also, you have no evidence that Sardonicat doesn't have a Russian friend. Maybe speak to people as you'd like them to speak to you.
    doesnt seem *un*reasonable tbh.

i mean, is anything stronger than the naughty step considered reasonable these days?
    This is a two-year-old. Pretty disingenuous of you.

Must be great to have so much personal experience in every conceivable topic ever.

I would say to you so it must be such a shame to have such a LIMITED personal experience to draw from.

You lead such sheltered lives. Yet i post on here so much?? What you doing?

Much longer i did it as a kid.

Tell me more about your russian friend sardonicat??

Its siberia.

Why would I discuss the personal details of another person online? I thought you were Dutch.

Getting on in the real world.

• Advertisement

They don't look abused imo to be fair, but you're not comparing like with like - children having fun versus a punishment. Also, you have no evidence that Sardonicat doesn't have a Russian friend. Maybe speak to people as you'd like them to speak to you.

This is a two-year-old. Pretty disingenuous of you.
    He doesn't. Like you would know someone was telling stories about having an Irish friend.

You haven't a clue about what you are talking.

Getting on in the real world.
    It really doesn't show.

I would say to you so it must be such a shame to have such a LIMITED personal experience to draw from.

Often personal experience is irrelevant and a cheap substitute for facts and logic.

Also, I'm not sure you can judge someone to be sheltered based on their stance on cold showers as punishment for toddlers.

Well all i can say is if you think its GENUINE abuse you have a duty to report it.

If you don't report it stop slandering the family. Its a serious allegation.

I can assure you that Social Workers in Ireland and the UK would consider placing a toddler in a cold shower for messing a bed or 'lightly" slapping them for the same would consider both to be child abuse. Perhaps you should raise your concerns with Tusla?

Often personal experience is irrelevant and a cheap substitute for facts and logic.

Also, I'm not sure you can judge someone to be sheltered based on their stance on cold showers as punishment for toddlers.

Fact most babies in some of the harshest climates in the world get cold showers. I have just showed you video evidence of babies being give cold showers in siberia.

No one on this thread seems to have any real idea of what this process looks like in real life. They jumped to the conclusion it was horrendous based on their imagination. I call that sheltered.

Again if you feel its abuse then you have to report it.

If you feel its not then you have to stop slandering the family.

• Advertisement

I thought you were Dutch.
    Nope.

They jumped to the conclusion that punishing a child with a cold shower is horrendous. Punishing a toddler for having a toileting accident is horrendous and is considered abusive by professionals here and in the UK.

Fact most babies in some of the harshest climates in the world get cold showers.

No one on this thread seems to have any real idea of what this process looks like in real life. They jumped to the conclusion it was horrendous based on their imagination. I call that sheltered.

Again if you feel its abuse then you have to report it.

If you feel its not then you have to stop slandering the family.

It's been pointed out several times that it's the intent of the parents that's the issue. They intend to punish the child with cold showers.

Your waffle about Siberia has no relevance at all. It's completely useless to the discussion.

He doesn't. Like you would know someone was telling stories about having an Irish friend.
    How on earth can you know SHE doesn't have a Russian friend? What's so far fetched about such an assertion?
    You haven't a clue about what you are talking.
    I asked how do you know Sardonicat doesn't have a Russian friend - and that means I haven't a clue what I'm talking about. You go on about bullying and how people should be kind and not cause drama - and look at the way you speak to people. Calling someone an idiot too. "Do as I say, not as I do" eh?
    It really doesn't show.
    How doesn't it show? This is just one topic.

How on earth can you know SHE doesn't have a Russian friend? What's so far fetched about such an assertion?

I asked how do you know Sardonicat doesn't have a Russian friend - and that means I haven't a clue what I'm talking about. You go on about bullying and how people should be kind and not cause drama - and look at the way you speak to people. Calling someone an idiot too. "Do as I say, not as I do" eh?

How doesn't it show? This is just one topic.

Seriously, she's calling me 'he' , again. Just this morning I corrected Vibes as to my gender.

• Advertisement
Advertisement