Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Youtuber - cold shower punishment for 2 yr old

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

That isn't what happened for the last time.

She was put in the shower because she had covered herself in poo so they had to wash her.

She likes hot showers ...she was beginning to do it simply to get up out of bed during the night to get one. This went on for months.

So the next time they washed her they gave her a luke warm shower.

And i don't think putting a toddler in a cold shower would kill anyone.

Went on for months? What a pile of shíte (forgive the pun)

She's 2 years old - how many months could this realistically be going on for? Put some clothes that she can't open on her ffs, don't hose her down with cold water like she's in fúcking long kesh!

And "it won't kill them" is probably not the best parenting yardstick by the way. Anyone who puts a toddler in a cold shower as punishment is a scumbag, plain and simple - and if that's what your mother done, then that's what your mother is! Putting a properly dressed child outside for a nap is not the same thing as hosing them down with cold water, they aren't in any way comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

All kids go through the poo smearing stage. Or well a lot do.

I have never heard of any kid that done that.

I would imagine it's extremely unusual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Very little beyond that tbh.

Yet here you are, lecturing everyone on how to deal with continence issues in small children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Very little beyond that tbh.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, you need to stop posting your very limited personal experiences as fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Went on for months? What a pile of shíte (forgive the pun)

She apparently has been talking about it in videos for months.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I mean this in the nicest way possible, you need to stop posting your very limited personal experiences as fact.
    I have to admit i have limited experience with children.

I am not going to pretend otherwise.

I have never heard of any kid that done that.

I would imagine it's extremely unusual.

Its very unusual, it typically only occurs with children who are on the spectrum or who have sensory issues.
    Its considered by medical professionals to be a psychological issue and an eating disorder. Definitely not something that should be ignored or that they can "grow out of".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

She apparently has been talking about it in videos for months.

Am not getting into this to and fro with you but I have a few questions.

How can you state as fact , that the child in question "has no sensory issues" ?
    How do you know that ?
    Do you think all sensory issues are diagnosed before the age of two ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

You are saying i should be beaten for hrs?

If you think its okay to abuse and cause physical or mental suffering to a 2 year old then yes, kicked around and your children taken off you for their own safety.

Juat look at that eastern european couple who are in the courts here at present for abusing their daughter, think shes 9 yrs old.

Willing to bet they'll say 'oh my daddy did that to us geowing up, in mother russia this very good way to teach child'.

Blah blah blah

italodisco wrote: »
    If you think its okay to abuse and cause physical or mental suffering to a 2 year old then yes, kicked around and your children taken off you for their own safety.

Kicked around I see.

I am too young to have kids just yet.

• Advertisement

Kicked around I see.

I am too young to have kids just yet.

Dont have any please

Dont have any please
    I fully intend to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

I really cannot understand how anyone could possibly think this is in anyway acceptable.

I’m not a parent but I grew up with siblings and cousins who were a lot younger than me and I’ve a 4 year old niece and I just can’t even comprehend how a conflicted situation could even occur with a 2 year old or any kid tbh. The psychological damage that would do either is potentially enormous too.

At two years old kids are completely trusting of their parents and other care givers and the world is very much taken as literal. Someone breaking that trust would be turning their world upside down and causing serious trauma.

Everything in any experience of child rearing in my family anyway is about positive reinforcement, actually explaining how the world works and trying to instill a sense of empathy and ability to think about things from other people’s perspectives. I can’t ever understand how anyone ends up in conflict with a toddler. It makes no sense. Your job is to protect, support and nurture and ensure they’ve a safe, loving environment.

Parenting / child rearing courses should be mandatory in school and to be honest I think Ireland (and a lot of anglophone countries) have a huge issue with a legacy of brutality towards children both from parents and the historically from the education system and it has never really been tackled in terms of equipping adults with the psychological skills needed to actually understand and interact with kids.

Sometimes I think it explains why an element of society continues to have issues with responding to all challenges by lashing out with violence - that’s what they’ve been taught to do.

1. I fully intend to.

I sincerely hope your partner will see what you are like and not leave you alone with them.
    Or alternatively a neighbor will report you to tusla and the ispcc .

You are not fit to parent. Not in the slightest.

1. I sincerely hope your partner will see what you are like and not leave you alone with them.

Why because I said if it were legal i would not be against lightly smacking a child?

Because I said I would like my child to nap outdoors? I would like to bring her/him to ice baths?

Wow that is some totalitarian state there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Is it an awful thing to do?

Nothing wrong with it. Maybe thrown in some water boarding when they really step out of line.

givyjoe wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it. Maybe thrown in some water boarding when they really step out of line.
    They really have been water boarding their children haven't they???

Why because I said if it were legal i would not be against lightly smacking a child?

Because I said I would like my child to nap outdoors? I would like to bring her/him to ice baths?

Wow that is some totalitarian state there.

I'm not going to keep feed this sick fok, you go bring your child to the ice baths and slap them while your at it. Well done.

I'm done with this mongrel.

Mod: Banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

1. I sincerely hope your partner will see what you are like and not leave you alone with them.

Someone who suggests dragging someone into a shed and beating them for hours because of views they hold, is severely lacking a moral compass, in my view.
    I sincerely hope that you don't have or will never have children.

BTW I disagree with everything ILTVOY has said in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I really cannot understand how anyone could possibly think this is in anyway acceptable.

I’m not a parent but I grew up with siblings and cousins who were a lot younger than me and I’ve a 4 year old niece and I just can’t even comprehend how a conflicted situation could even occur with a 2 year old or any kid tbh. Thw psychological damage that would do either is potentially enormous too.

At two years old kids are completely trusting of their parents and other care givers and the world is very much taken as literal. Someone breaking that trust would be turning their world upside down and causing serious trauma.

Everything in any experience of child rearing in my family anyway is about positive reinforcement, actually explaining how the world works and trying to instill a sense of empathy and ability to think about things from other people’s perspectives. I can’t ever understand how anyone ends up in conflict with a toddler. It makes no sense. Your job is to protect, support and nurture and ensure they’ve a safe, loving environment.

Parenting / child rearing courses should be mandatory in school and to be honest I think Ireland (and a lot of anglophone countries) have a huge issue with a legacy of brutality towards children both from parents and the historically from the education system and it has never really been tackled in terms of equipping adults with the psychological skills needed to actually understand and interact with kids.

Sometimes I think it explains why an element of society continues to have issues with responding to all challenges by lashing out with violence - that’s what they’ve been taught to do.

Trust me, as a parent of small children, it is VERY easy to get into conflict with them. They will test your very last nerve and drive you to the very verge of your sanity. However it is all about how you react to that. Putting them
    In a cold shower is a failure as a parent. Walking away, taking a deep breath and dealing with it rationally, kindly and with the understanding that they are learning and don’t understand how life works yet is proper parenting.

This admission by this family doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

I dont have any.

What would YOU have done if your daughter repeatedly took her nappy off and smeared poop? There is nothing else wrong with her?

How would make her know its not ok and correct her?

Oh so you aren't an expert? Funny that.
    You speak like you are either a child psychologist or a parent when you are neither.

Look if a child did it once or twice fair enough but if it's an ongoing thing well then there is an underlying issue there.

It's not just boldness and no amount of "punishment" is going to fix something if there is an issue there.

If my child was repeatedly doing something that wasn't "normal" I would be consulting a doctor not just saying they are bold. It genuinely may be something the child cant help.

If you ever have kids of your own I hope that you might see things in a different way.

Do you follow them? You sound like you have other things to say?

Have i been fooled?

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Am not getting into this to and fro with you but I have a few questions.

How can you state as fact , that the child in question "has no sensory issues" ?
    How do you know that ?
    Do you think all sensory issues are diagnosed before the age of two ?

Could I have an answer to the above please ?

Could I have an answer to the above please ?
    From the mother.

From the mother.

Ah ok , this is the same mother who thinks it's acceptable to shower the child in cold water and put it out there for the world to view if they choose to do so ?
    Enough said .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Furthermore I would have thought more of them had they put their hands up and admitted it was a lousy parenting decision instead of backtracking and blaming everyone else for their shortcomings.

Also if they really stood over their decision. To use this as punishment why edit their video to remove the clip of them discussing it? They know it was wrong and they are frantically backpedaling and trying to damage control the impact this has had online.

There are three reasons they shared this:

1) To create drama and channel traffic to their YouTube
    2) Because they’re such insular shut ins and never leave the house they have no yard stick against which to measure their parenting choices against and thought that other parents do this too so it’s no harm to mention it.
    3) They are so ineffective at parenting they genuinely think this is suitable punishment for a 2 year old and They’re too stupid to realise the backlash this would have and has caused.

Edited to add a 4th reason:

4). They actually approached it with a “poor us” angle and expected an influx of sympathetic comments.

Ah ok , this is the same mother who thinks it's acceptable to shower the child in cold water and put it out there for the world to view if they choose to do so ?
    Enough said .

Here is the video

You can judge for yourself. Tell me what you think actually.

She seems like a kind lady to me to do anything too mean. Maybe I am fooled.

Monkey2019 wrote: »
    Oh so you aren't an expert? Funny that.
    You speak like you are either a child psychologist or a parent when you are neither.

Look if a child did it once or twice fair enough but if it's an ongoing thing well then there is an underlying issue there.

It's not just boldness and no amount of "punishment" is going to fix something if there is an issue there.

If my child was repeatedly doing something that wasn't "normal" I would be consulting a doctor not just saying they are bold. It genuinely may be something the child cant help.

If you ever have kids of your own I hope that you might see things in a different way.

Exactly.
    This isn't a case of little Johnny being curious and tasting the dirt while playing in the garden, as a one off.
    All kids do weird little things like that but they are predominately one off scenarios and not regular occurrances.

This is a 2yr old who isn't fully able to communicate yet, waking up in the middle of the night, every night, and smearing and ingesting her own excrement before waking her parents to bring what she has done to their attention.
    It doesn't take a parent or an expert to know that it isn't normal and it isn't a case of "boldness".
    The child clearly has issues and ignoring them or punishing them with cold showers is going to be of no help.

Its worrying that anyone would try to argue that this is a conventional way for a toddler to behave. I can only assume anyone who would, has absolutely no experience with small children whatsoever.

1) To create drama and channel traffic to their YouTube

How long have they been going?

OSI wrote: »
    She can't even stick to the one accent.

ha either can i!

• Advertisement

Guys I don't mean to cause a fight.

But I found this in The Irish Times.

At night, my son smears poo on himself and his bed
    I get upset but he does not seem to care. It has been going on for five weeks

For example, if when he smears he gets a warm bubble bath and lots of lovely attention from you, then he is getting rewarded by the cleaning. Some parents recommend giving their children a cold shower after the smearing so the cleaning is uncomfortable for the child.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/parenting/at-night-my-son-smears-poo-on-himself-and-his-bed-1.3418237?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Flife-and-style%2Fhealth-family%2Fparenting%2Fat-night-my-son-smears-poo-on-himself-and-his-bed-1.3418237

Do you think that is where she got the advice??

Here is the video

She seems like a kind lady to me to do anything too mean. Maybe I am fooled.

Ah seriously ?
    She seems too nice to do anything mean ?
    (Btw , Ted Bundy was charming and charismatic by all accounts apparently!)

I'm out of this tbh , and whether the child has sensory issues or not , the cold showers as punishment are not acceptable . Imo .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Didn't bother reading this thread but it must be ultimate combo of annoying people: influencers and experts on perfect parenting.

Guys I don't mean to cause a fight.

But I found this in The Irish Times.

At night, my son smears poo on himself and his bed
    I get upset but he does not seem to care. It has been going on for five weeks

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/parenting/at-night-my-son-smears-poo-on-himself-and-his-bed-1.3418237?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Flife-and-style%2Fhealth-family%2Fparenting%2Fat-night-my-son-smears-poo-on-himself-and-his-bed-1.3418237

Do you think that is where she got the advice??

What do people think of the Irish times giving the advice out the same?

It was given by . Dr John Sharry co-founder of the Parents Plus Charity

His PHD is in psychology. Adjunct Professor @UCDPsychology

Maybe his big name convinced her to do this advice. He said to do it.

Trust me, as a parent of small children, it is VERY easy to get into conflict with them. They will test your very last nerve and drive you to the very verge of your sanity. However it is all about how you react to that. Putting them
    In a cold shower is a failure as a parent. Walking away, taking a deep breath and dealing with it rationally, kindly and with the understanding that they are learning and don’t understand how life works yet is proper parenting.

You can but you also have to remain the adult, step back from it and reason your way out of it.

Maybe I have extremely chilled out family but I’ve never ever experienced a situation where someone got aggressive with anyone.

For example: my niece is *very* loud, all singing, all dancing, full on, hurtling around the place and is going through a phase of combining camogie with martial arts, but she’s just beyond being a toddler and that’s kinda just part of the chaos of life. You can still sit down with her and explain why something’s dangerous or why it’s a bad idea and she really thinks about it and takes it on board. She’s just really sensible, empathetic and thinks about things pretty profoundly, but I think a huge amount of that is how she’s been brought up.

I’ve heard horror stories from peers in their 20s and 30s about being hit with fists and weapons, locked in bathrooms, locked outside in the yard, denied food, psychologically threatened with all sorts of crazy stuff and it just always seems like we’ve adopted progressive laws and attitudes in some ways but we haven’t provided people with the skill sets to undo that 19th century mentality.

There’s genuinely a serious issue with violence (and there’s plenty of accounts of it) that runs through what was predominantly a British cultural trait which Ireland also inherited from the 18th/19th and first half of 20th century of brutal parenting and a society that was about beating people into line. It runs through the US too but you’ll find less of it in parts (not all) or the continent. There are some countries where things like corporal punishment in schools and at home aren’t part of the history at all and were banned not decades or years ago but in the 1800s.

I just think it’s something that Ireland (and a lot of our English speaking peer countries) need to have an actual discussion about as we do have a legacy of very brutal child rearing and there’s more than just banning slapping involved in undoing that legacy. To put it in context the state was still sanctioning hitting kids as school in the early 1980s.

We have to equip people with skills and we really haven’t done much of that at all.

There is most definitely a cultural issue and a historical legacy to be tackled and talked about and it’s something we need to tackle. It’s fairly clear we want to have the kind of society where this kind of thing doesn’t happen, but you need more just laws, you need education, discussion and support to achieve that.

We have to equip people with skills and we really haven’t done much of that at all.

But it was Dr John Sharry adjunct professor of psychology in UCD who actually gave out the advice to do it in the irish times.

All of the bad things said about her etc.

It was a psychologist specializing in children and parenting that gave out the advice to use a cold shower in his Irish Times Article.

Surely she took his advice because she wanted to help her children not to abuse him.

And he is a parent and a child psychologist.

Surely you could see how she could be convinced to do such a terrible thing if a child psychologist a professor in UCD told you then you would listen right??

Maybe we should tell him he is cruel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

All 'influencers' should be waterboarded TBH.

I don’t really think naming individuals examples of who said what is the issue - it’s a broader national discussion we aren’t really having and at the extreme ends it probably spills into the whole issue of “feral teens” and all of that hugely problematic, yobbish, violent teen culture that keeps cropping up in both Ireland and Britain - I’d see all that as being linked to poor parenting skills and lack of adaptation from a system that had historically just assumed you could physically knock people into line / frighten them into behaving - it never instilled any kind of empathy, emotional intelligence or social awareness, just hit people if they misbehaved.

We stopped hitting people but we didn’t do all the educational things that make more progressive societies work so smoothly.

Ah seriously ?
    She seems too nice to do anything mean ?
    (Btw , Ted Bundy was charming and charismatic by all accounts apparently!)

I'm out of this tbh , and whether the child has sensory issues or not , the cold showers as punishment are not acceptable . Imo .
    An adjunct professor of child psychology dr john sharry wrote an article in the Irish times give the advice for a cold shower.
    For example, if when he smears he gets a warm bubble bath and lots of lovely attention from you, then he is getting rewarded by the cleaning. Some parents recommend giving their children a cold shower after the smearing so the cleaning is uncomfortable for the child.

I don’t really think naming individuals examples of who said what is the issue - it’s a broader national discussion we aren’t really having and at the extreme ends it probably spills into the whole issue of “feral teens” and all of that hugely problematic, yobbish, violent teen culture that keeps cropping up in both Ireland and Britain - I’d see all that as being linked to poor parenting skills and lack of adaptation from a system that had historically just assumed you could physically knock people into line / frighten them into behaving - it never instilled any kind of empathy, emotional intelligence or social awareness, just hit people if they misbehaved.

We stopped hitting people but we didn’t do all the educational things that make more progressive societies work so smoothly.

You mean naming DR John Sharry ?

• Advertisement

Also if a child psychologist is GIVING this advice. Is it really abuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

He then goes on to say:

"While I do not recommend any punishment (as this is counter productive and damaging if you are very negative towards your child) it is important to make sure the cleaning process is at least neutral and possibly mildly unpleasant (eg so the child associates cold water with smearing and thus is motivated to avoid the behaviour in the future)."

He then goes on to say:

"While I do not recommend any punishment (as this is counter productive and damaging if you are very negative towards your child) it is important to make sure the cleaning process is at least neutral and possibly mildly unpleasant (eg so the child associates cold water with smearing and thus is motivated to avoid the behaviour in the future)."

Yes he says he wants the child to have a mildly unpleasant experience and associate the cold water with smearing and thus be less motivated to avoid the behavior in the future.

Gosh strong views.

I hope no one beats him up in a shed for hrs. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Yes he says he wants the child to have a mildly unpleasant experience and associate the cold water with smearing and thus be less motivated to avoid the behavior in the future.

Gosh strong views.

I hope no one beats him up in a shed for hrs. :(

Or gives him a cold shower.

I don't care who said it, or advised to do it , I still wouldn't do it as a form of punishment .

I don't care who said it, or advised to do it , I still wouldn't do it as a form of punishment .

He is a professor of child psychology. And a parent.

Can you at least see even if you don't agree with him that HIS opinion and its weight might convince a parent to do it.

People reported this family to the authorities for this they are being hounded online for basically following the advice of an expert.

It just so happens random people online disagree with his expert opinion and want to harass this family.

That is what its coming across as.

Guess what you just might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Wouldn't be caught dead doing it to my own kids but I guess the need for channel views and likes can lead to questionable decisions for some.

It's a war out there.

He is a professor of child psychology. And a parent.

Can you at least see even if you don't agree with him that HIS opinion and its weight might convince a parent to do it.

People reported this family to the authorities for this they are being hounded online for basically following the advice of an expert.

It just so happens random people online disagree with his expert opinion and want to harass this family.

That is what its coming across as.

Guess what you just might be wrong.

How do you know they were following the advice of this specific expert or are you just assuming?
    Did you miss the bit where said expert also said he doesn't recommend it as a form of punishment?

Wouldn't be caught dead doing it to my own kids but I guess the need for channel views and likes can lead to questionable decisions for some.

It's a war out there.

It was a child psychologist who gave the advise.

Dr John Sharry adjunct professor of UCD.

I think he knows his stuff.

I think people owe that family an apology.

• Advertisement

Well I’d respectfully disagree with the advice on it. I think the rest of his advice made sense but that bit would be beyond the pale for me entirely.

Where a kid does something gross, you have to explain (with gestures, holding your nose, saying ewwwwwwwwww and so on) and really reinforce that it’s gross and you don’t reward the behavior with positive attention.

There can be a lot going on too in terms of seeking any kind of attention (good or bad) because someone’s not getting attention for positive reasons. You see that with both kids and adults acting out to get attention all the time - there are tons of ways of dealing with something like that, without punishing someone.

Advertisement