Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to save for kids college?

• 19-08-2019 6:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

My baby is due in two weeks and i am wondering whats the best solution to save regularly for his education? Would you guys save child benefit? Where do you put it? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,998 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

evilbaby77 wrote: »
    My baby is due in two weeks and i am wondering whats the best solution to save regularly for his education? Would you guys save child benefit? Where do you put it? Thanks

We save the child benefit we receive into the Childcare Plus scheme which is run through An Post. That's a low risk scheme which gives a decent return for up to five years. After five years we'll look again to see what the best option is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

We save the child benefit we receive into the Childcare Plus scheme which is run through An Post. That's a low risk scheme which gives a decent return for up to five years. After five years we'll look again to see what the best option is.

I was looking at this too. You save for 12 months and then it's put away for 5 years. Do you know if you can start a new one every year?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The return is below 1% p.a.

Inflation is higher.

The only guarantee is that you'll lose money in real terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭homer911

The return is below 1% p.a.

Inflation is higher.

The only guarantee is that you'll lose money in real terms.
    As opposed to spending it, and losing it all in absolute terms??

If OP is looking for a low risk, long term investment that is tax free then they wont do any better

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

homer911 wrote: »
    As opposed to spending it, and losing it all in absolute terms??

If OP is looking for a low risk, long term investment that is tax free then they wont do any better

If you've a long term (18 years) the best way to go is to invest. Yes there's a risk element but it'll be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭suilegorma

Do you have a mortgage? If so, overpaying your mortgage is the equivalent of saving at the interest rate of your mortgage. Risk free. Actually more when you take DIRT into account. Investigate how much shorter your mortgage will be by overpaying by the benefit each month. Them fund college through your former mortgage payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

suilegorma wrote: »
    Do you have a mortgage? If so, overpaying your mortgage is the equivalent of saving at the interest rate of your mortgage. Risk free. Actually more when you take DIRT into account. Investigate how much shorter your mortgage will be by overpaying by the benefit each month. Them fund college through your former mortgage payments.
    This is the way to go. You kill two birds with one stone and save thousands in interest

Advertisement