Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeds came up after applying compost in veg patch.

Options
  • 19-08-2019 9:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I put down some general purpose compost into my vegetable patch to try to improve the soil, and forked it in.

Within a week or so, loads of small weeds appeared.

Does anyone know why this happened and what i can do about it?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Slasher wrote: »
    I put down some general purpose compost into my vegetable patch to try to improve the soil, and forked it in.

Within a week or so, loads of small weeds appeared.

Does anyone know why this happened and what i can do about it?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Either there were weed seeds in your compost, or there were weed seeds in your veg patch, which germinated when you disturbed the ground. If it was commercial compost, the second is more likely.
    You can remove weeds by hand. You could hoe them regularly so they don't get a foothold - a Dutch hoe is good for this. You could put down some plastic/cardboard/membrane to cover the soil and any germinating weeds can't survive due to no sunlight. Or, least favoured option, weedkiller. Which you really don't want to do in a veg patch...

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Thanks for the response.

There had been a lot of weeds there, but i cleared them out thoroughly prior to mixing in the compost.

The compost was purchased, I think it was a Bord na Mona product, so i hope there wasn't weed seeds therein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Sorry but I don't see what you are expecting OP. You mix soil thats probably lost a good bit of its fertility but is full of weed seeds with good compost and the weeds germinate and grow isn't that what you expected to happen?

Now if you can identify the weed seedlings and have now got new weeds you didn't have before that would be something to complain about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Slasher wrote: »
    There had been a lot of weeds there, but i cleared them out thoroughly prior to mixing in the compost.
    sounds definitely like they came from the existing soil so, it's probably got quite a few seeds yet to germinate too. regular hoeing, as Zzippy mentioned. or else google solarising soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The more you disturb the soil the more seeds will germinate, you might be amazed at how many seeds can be lying dormant in your soil...
    A thin sharp hoe on a dry day (easier said than done), will take care of then, you dont need to pull them out, just disturb the roots,

(having said that I get to tomato plants growing where ever I put compost from my wormery)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
Advertisement