Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to pay or should my landlord?

Options
  • 19-08-2019 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently moved into a new house where I'm sharing with 3 other people. I knew the house well as it was being rented by a friend of mine so I knew what the place was like.

Before moving in I asked my housemate if there was anything I should be aware of in the house to which he replied NO. Now let me state right here that I still should have checked if everything was ok in the house. I suppose I put it down to trust that everything was fine.

Then - upon moving in, I soon found out that my shower didn't work properly. it basically doesn't work at all. The water literally dribbles out. You would get a better wash if someone weeped over you it's that bad. I basically have to shower in work which shouldn't be the case as I'm paying good rent for this place.

Now for the 2nd issue - the mattress in my room has been giving me awful back trouble which I'm starting to feel the full effects of now. The metal in the mattress itself is popping up and is basically sticking into my back. What I want to know is if it is on me to buy a new one or should the landlord be entitled to change this for me?

Also - on the shower front, the landlord has given me some BS saying that the weak flow may be down to a problem with the mains outside and that excavation work is needed. But there's no weak flow in the kitchen or anywhere else in the house. Plus the water comes from the tank in the attic.

Anyway I won't rant on any longer but I would really appreciate some advice on how I should best go about this.

-Dyl

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,520 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yes, you have to pay. As a tenant you should buy you own mattress and get a good one.
    Do you really want to sleep in someone’s else’s Piss filled mattress covered in cum? Would you buy a second hand mattress?

As for the water pressure , what type shower is it? Is it just fed from a cylinder ? The hot water does not come off the mains and is fed by gravity. Which is the height difference between cylinder and shower. If he fitted a pump the problem round be solved. You could raise that with him

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The water in the kitchen is usually mains supply where as showers will be from tank in attic and immersion. If it’s a standard shower he just needs to fit a pressure pump, but note, they can be noisy.

The mattress is probably a personal preference, your mate might not have had any problems with it, but you do. A lot of tenants buy their own and bring it with them when they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

ted1 wrote: »
    Yes, you have to pay. As a tenant you should buy you own mattress and get a good one.
    Do you really want to sleep in someone’s else’s Piss filled be covered in cum? Would you buy a second hand mattress?
    They will still have to potentially store the old one. I had the same problem the last place I lived. Mentioned it to the agent and a new mattress arrived a few days later. It's always worth asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

I raised the shower issue with him to which he has put it off for months. I've had a plumber come in and look at it where he told me a pump pr an electric shower would fix the issue. However, the ladlord is not willing to get it fixed.

As for the mattress - I'm paying for a furnished house. Mattresses aren't cheap but currenly in the market for a NEW one would you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,905 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I have pretty low pressure in my bathroom shower so bought a shower head with really tiny pinholes - really did the trick. Might be worth trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

If a mattress is provided, it needs to be in a decent condition. The one you have sounds like it's fit for the bin. Are you sure the landlord provided it, or was it just left behind by the previous tenant?
    If I were you I'd buy a new mattress and get the landlord's permission to dispose of the old one. Many shops will dispose of your old mattress when delivering the new one.

As for the rubbish shower. It does sound like something that could be fixed with a new pump. But once there's hot & cold water coming from the shower I'm not sure there's a regulation on acceptable water pressure.

I thought as much but didn't want to seem cheeky or sound like a moocher askign for it to be replaced.

I actually wouldn't ask other than my back is killing me. This is good to know.

OSI wrote: »
    Mattress is on the landlord to. If they supplied it, it's on them to maintain and replace it.

Where are you getting that from? Different people like different types and hardness of mattress, hence why many buy their own.

That's a good questions. I can't be sure as to who provided it but i'm pretty sure it was the landlord.

I'll have to get a new mattress regardless.

RE the shower, it literally doesn't work. Water does well making its way out but interesting point you make. I've enquired about a pump to which nothing has happened.

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    That's a good questions. I can't be sure as to who provided it but i'm pretty sure it was the landlord.

I'll have to get a new mattress regardless.

RE the shower, it literally doesn't work. Water does well making its way out but interesting point you make. I've enquired about a pump to which nothing has happened.

I would do what a previous poster recommended, limescale could be blocking the showerhead, remove it and turn water on. If you are getting a reasonable flow without the head, just buy a new one, they are pretty cheap.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    I would do what a previous poster recommended, limescale could be blocking the showerhead, remove it and turn water on. If you are getting a reasonable flow without the head, just buy a new one, they are pretty cheap.

Again, I will replace if needs be but the fact it wasn't in full working order surely leave it up to the landlord to cover the charges. Regardless of whether replacing the shower head is cheap or not.

Also - I know myself that it's not a shower head issue so we can rule that out. Has a plumber look at it and said we needed a pump. Surely it's not on me to get a new pump and pay for it. I'm in the house a mere 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Surely it's not on me to get a new pump and pay for it. I'm in the house a mere 3 months.

Of course it's not. Talk to your landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If there is a water pump in place, and it is broken.
    Then it is up to the LL to replace it.
    However if there's no pump and low water pressure, then there's nothing broken, nothing to replace and it's just the way it is.

OP take a look at the limescale fix suggestion earlier in the thread and check if there is/was ever a water pressure pump in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dav010 wrote: »
    Where are you getting that from? Different people like different types and hardness of mattress, hence why many buy their own.

If the mattress is on the inventory which the tenant signed when s/he moved in, then it's up to the LL to provide.

If it not, then it's up to the tenant. Same as with sheets and towels, cutlery, delph,toilet seats... and anything not listed in the minimum standard for rentals.

If the mattress is on the inventory which the tenant signed when s/he moved in, then it's up to the LL to provide.

If it not, then it's up to the tenant. Same as with sheets and towels, cutlery, delph,toilet seats... and anything not listed in the minimum standard for rentals.

It seems the LL did provide it, op just doesn’t find it comfortable. Though there is a list of minimum requirements, is a mattress on it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Jesus lads. Using a second hand mattress is disgusting. In all my time renting I always had my own bed. The state of the beds and mattresses in loads of the places I have lived would make you vomit.

As a landlord I treat them as a disposable item. There is no way I am spending 4 figures on a mattress for a tenant who could move out in a few months. So tenant gets a cheap mattress or provides their own.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Jesus lads. Using a second hand mattress is disgusting. In all my time renting I always had my own bed. The state of the beds and mattresses in loads of the places I have lived would make you vomit.

As a landlord I treat them as a disposable item. There is no way I am spending 4 figures on a mattress for a tenant who could move out in a few months. So tenant gets a cheap mattress or provides their own.

The only issue with the matress is the metal popping up through it. Not sure where you're getting your 4 figure prices. A new mattress that I'm looking for would cost 200 quid.

I think that's a minium cost, especially when I'm paying good money on rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ashes2014

I would ask the landlord to replace the mattress and fix the shower.

Running hot water and a comfortable bed are basic and it sounds like you are paying enough rent to be entitled to those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

why would landlord fix a working shower? the pressure is ****e does not equal broken.

Re mattress - if it is structurally faulty then it should be replaced. if ypu find it uncomfortable this does not automatically make it faulty.

why would landlord fix a working shower? the pressure is ****e does not equal broken.

Re mattress - if it is structurally faulty then it should be replaced. if ypu find it uncomfortable this does not automatically make it faulty.

But the shower isn't working properly...which would suggest that something is faulty and indeed broken. If I can't take a shower then something is wrong.

Re the mattress - structurally it has a big metal lump sticking out of it which is not only dangerous, but has caused me back pain.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The only issue with the matress is the metal popping up through it. Not sure where you're getting your 4 figure prices. A new mattress that I'm looking for would cost 200 quid.

For €200 you are getting a shyte mattress. You spend more time on it that any other item you own so you should invest in a good one. Decent mattresses cost alot more than that and 4 figures is not unreasonable. A landlord will not buy you a good one (nor should they).

ted1 wrote: »
    Do you really want to sleep in someone’s else’s Piss filled mattress covered in cum? Would you buy a second hand mattress?

Do you bring your own mattress to a hotel, ? The vast majority of people sleep in the provided mattress and I’ve yet to hear anyone worry about “piss”. I only ever rented in houseshare so god who knows how many people would have slept on mattresses before me and I survived! In my time renting and all the people I know who have been/are renting I’ve never seen anyone’s provide their own mattress.

The mattress should be provided by the LL, try turning it over to see how it is on the other side otherwise request a new one if it really is that bad.

I wouldn’t dream of buying my own mattress for a rental, if nothing else you’ve no idea if it’s going to suit in the next place if you have to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

OP, you can get mattress toppers or a thin mattress, like a futon and just roll it out on top of existing. Get a suitable stiffness and that should help with the back. Easier to take this with you as well when you move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

If the water is dribbling out like the OP said, then there is a problem. Low pressure is a problem and it needs to be looked at, with the costs incurred covered by the Landlord.

A mattress also shouldn't have springs protruding into your back, so this clearly needs to be replaced by the landlord.

With the cost of renting, the least you should expect is a decent shower and a bed that won't cripple you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Both issues are the responsibility of the landlord

If the mattress issue arose a few years after you moved in, different story but it was unfit for purpose from day one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The springs are sticking out, it's fcuked

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    For €200 you are getting a shyte mattress. You spend more time on it that any other item you own so you should invest in a good one. Decent mattresses cost alot more than that and 4 figures is not unreasonable. A landlord will not buy you a good one (nor should they).

Anything is better than the one I currently have. there'll be no metal sticking up into my back.

I'm looking for a basic cover of what's there. Again, never mentioned a 4 figure mattress.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    OP, you can get mattress toppers or a thin mattress, like a futon and just roll it out on top of existing. Get a suitable stiffness and that should help with the back. Easier to take this with you as well when you move on.

I've just Googles them there - think this is exactly what I need. Might be the solution I was looking for!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

If the mattress is over 8 years old you may have some right to have it replaced but Revenue that beds should last at least 8 years. If you accepted it when you moved in then you may be just as well to buy your own. Personally I would ask but you will probably end up with a des Kelly chap mattress.

As for the shower, if the only solution the plumber could suggest was a pump it sounds like you are just used to power showers, If the shower provided is working as designed then it is unlikely you have any argument to get it upgraded.

Are you on the contract for the house? If not then it is between the person on the contract and the landlord. Also remember if the property is in a RPZ you may be paying anything up to 1000 per month less than the market rent so the LL may not feel investing in the property is worth while as they cannot benefit from any improvements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

BarryD2 wrote: »

That will not help with a mattress like this as it will give no support.

Advertisement