Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to pay or should my landlord?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Anything is better than the one I currently have. there'll be no metal sticking up into my back.

I'm looking for a basic cover of what's there. Again, never mentioned a 4 figure mattress.

And that is my advice to you. Buy your own as the landlord will buy a cheap yoke that is no good for you. Your back in 20 years will thank me for this advice.

You don't have to take my advice which is the point of the forum I thought. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    And that is my advice to you. Buy your own as the landlord will buy a cheap yoke that is no good for you. Your back in 20 years will thank me for this advice.

You don't have to take my advice which is the point of the forum I thought. :)

All advice is much appreciated and thank you for taking the time to post :)

TBH I might just have to get myself a mattress in the end but it's the shower that's a major problem for me really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

TBH I might just have to get myself a mattress in the end but it's the shower that's a major problem for me really.

Yeah he should fix that. Might be just limescale though which should be easy enough to resolve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Graces7 wrote: »
    That will not help with a mattress like this as it will give no support.

Why not? A layer of cardboard costs nothing, lay it on top of existing mattress, futon on top and be grand. Roll it up and take away when moving out.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭syndrome777

with the amount of rent you pay , you should get a new matters if the existing one is s***.

Even the bare minimmum seems like a luxury here when renting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Why not? A layer of cardboard costs nothing, lay it on top of existing mattress, futon on top and be grand. Roll it up and take away when moving out.

Neither cardboard nor futon will support if the underlying mattress is shot. It would work if you removed the broken mattress and added futon to the bed base.. op referred to springs poking out.
    Best way of all is make the landlord replace the mattress and no improvisation.

Worst mattress I even had in a rental was a one inch thick felt pad... you could feel the wooden slats of the base.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Do people read the comments from the OP at all?

OP, ring citizens information and see if they can point you in the right direction on how to handle the landlord.

The shower is defiantely on the landlord. It's not working, doesn't matter if it wasn't working When the Op moved in, it's still not working and it is 100% on the landlord to get it fixed.

The mattress I would presume it would be on the landlord as the house was furnished but again I've always brought my own mattress to places I've rented. As others have said sleeping on a mattress that's been used by someone else is just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Do people read the comments from the OP at all?

OP, ring citizens information and see if they can point you in the right direction on how to handle the landlord.

The shower is defiantely on the landlord. It's not working, doesn't matter if it wasn't working When the Op moved in, it's still not working and it is 100% on the landlord to get it fixed.

The mattress I would presume it would be on the landlord as the house was furnished but again I've always brought my own mattress to places I've rented. As others have said sleeping on a mattress that's been used by someone else is just awful.

We have read the ops posts, but can you show us where the minimum water pressure requirements are? The op had a plumber out who said water pressure is poor, that may not be the LLs fault and anyone who has a pressure pump in their house will tell you that this can also create issues due to noise. The LL may not be able to fit an electric shower if there are 2 in the house already or if it is not possible to wire it back directly to main fuse box.

Different people like different mattresses and I am not aware, nor have I ever read that a landlord is responsible for buying new ones for each tenant.

Dav010 wrote: »
    We have read the ops posts, but can you show us where the minimum water pressure requirements are? The op had a plumber out who said water pressure is poor, that may not be the LLs fault and anyone who has a pressure pump in their house will tell you that this can also create issues due to noise. The LL may not be able to fit an electric shower if there are 2 in the house already or if it is not possible to wire it back directly to main fuse box.

Different people like different mattresses and I am not aware, nor have I ever read that a landlord is responsible for buying new ones for each tenant.

Again it's the landlords problem to fix. The shower isn't working. He needs to get it fixed. Doesn't matter if its water pressure or some other issue.

I never said the landlord was responsible for buying a new mattress for each new tenant. I'm saying he needs to provide a mattress that doesn't have metal sticking out of it and as I said to the OP if it was me I would just buy my own and not use one already there for obvious sanitary reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Jesus lads. Using a second hand mattress is disgusting. In all my time renting I always had my own bed. The state of the beds and mattresses in loads of the places I have lived would make you vomit.

As a landlord I treat them as a disposable item. There is no way I am spending 4 figures on a mattress for a tenant who could move out in a few months. So tenant gets a cheap mattress or provides their own.

How do you feel about hotel beds where thousands of people have slept on the same mattress before you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Again it's the landlords problem to fix. The shower isn't working. He needs to get it fixed. Doesn't matter if its water pressure or some other issue.

I never said the landlord was responsible for buying a new mattress for each new tenant. I'm saying he needs to provide a mattress that doesn't have metal sticking out of it and as I said to the OP if it was me I would just buy my own and not use one already there for obvious sanitary reasons.

If it is the mains pressure, you want him to go outside and dig up the road?

I just had a look back through the thread, the op makes no mention of other showers in the house, I assume his isn’t the only one. What is the water pressure like in the others op? Did your plumber take off the shower head or check the water pressure in other rooms?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

How do you feel about hotel beds where thousands of people have slept on the same mattress before you?

your better off not thinking about these kinds of things

• Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Don't people sleep on mattresses someone's already slept on in hotels and airbnbs? Honestly people are so precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭sparkledrum

It's perfectly reasonable to ask the landlord to replace the mattress if it's in such bad condition. Is the shower just for you or is it shared with others? If it's shared, how do the others feel about it? I would definitely pursue it with the landlord.

I just had a look back through the thread, the op makes no mention of other showers in the house, I assume his isn’t the only one. What is the water pressure like in the others op? Did your plumber take off the shower head or check the water pressure in other rooms?

Ah C'mere. Clearly not. But what he could do is not ignore the Op and not fob it off and maybe ring the council or Irish water to investigate if there is a problem at the mains. But as the op has said the water pressure if fine in the rest of the house.
    He's had a plumber in to say that there's a pressure issue with the shower so a bit more investigation is needed. Maybe a blocked pipe? A valve turned off? Maybe an airlock? Could be plenty of reasons but again the landlord has ignored the Op and just said it's a problem at the mains to fob him off.
    The landlord should be getting a plumber in to have a look to see what the problem is because we're all just speculating at the moment.

It's the landlords problem to fix and no one else's. The landlord need a to sort out the problem and get someone to have a look and not the tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Don't people sleep on mattresses someone's already slept on in hotels and airbnbs? Honestly people are so precious.

Not that I use hotels etc. but the same applies to hospitals too of course. Would take a cover with you. First thing I do in a new rental; impermeable, clean cover on mattress etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,520 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Good hotels change their mattresses regularly enough. You’ll also stay a few days max.

Showers aren’t fed off the mains. So no digging required.
    The cold water goes to a storage tank in the attic and the hot water comes from the cylinder.

Hotels have a vested interest in protecting their mattresses and use covers and barriers to ensure that fluids stay off them. They are also replaced periodically and are of good quality to begin with. It is not a like for like comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,941 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

IThough there is a list of minimum requirements, is a mattress on it?

No: neither beds, nor mattresses need to be provided.

But if the LL does provide them, they need to be useable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,514 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

ted1 wrote: »
    The cold water goes to a storage tank in the attic and the hot water comes from the cylinder.
    lots of showers are fed from the mains

Instant electric are and they’ll generally have a pump. Or could be replaced with a pumped one as the wiring is there.

The rest generality aren’t ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Mixer showers shouldn't to avoid contaminating the mains supply. Also OP says theirs is fed from the hot water cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

ted1 wrote: »
    Not legally. Showers are meant to run off the tank and cylinder. In that case they will be low pressure as they are gravity fed. The height of the tank determines the pressure.
    The vast majority of housing in Ireland is plumbed this way. I know my own house had terrible pressure but that is how it worked. I upgraded and added a pump but as a landlord I would have no obligation to do that. The shower was not broken and neither is this one.
    Mattress issue is a non starter really. The OP had a chance to inspect and accept the property as it stood. The same really goes for the shower too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Sorry for the radio silence here.

It's more so to do with the fact as well that the LL will be putting the rent up in a month or 2 and we're being left with the same shiite amenities.

Showers are hooked up to the tank for all everyone that's asking - plumber confirmed this. The LL was trying to delay by telling me it was to do with the mains. As if I came down in the last shower.

Text/Emailed him Monday and still waiting for a reply. How long should one wait for an answer?

Sorry for the radio silence here.

It's more so to do with the fact as well that the LL will be putting the rent up in a month or 2 and we're being left with the same shiite amenities.

Showers are hooked up to the tank for all everyone that's asking - plumber confirmed this. The LL was trying to delay by telling me it was to do with the mains. As if I came down in the last shower.

Text/Emailed him Monday and still waiting for a reply. How long should one wait for an answer?
    I thought you just moved in? Can't put up the rent if that is the case. Unless you are saying you took over somebody else's part of the original lease. In that case it would mean you are the only one complaining about the shower. What is the story?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I thought you just moved in? Can't put up the rent if that is the case. Unless you are saying you took over somebody else's part of the original lease. In that case it would mean you are the only one complaining about the shower. What is the story?

It's a house share. Someone moved out and they moved in.

It's a house share. Someone moved out and they moved in.
    So it really is only you complaining about the shower and the furniture?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Eh, I'm not the OP so not me. Although I can't imagine any of the other housemates complaining about the OP's mattress.

• Advertisement

Eh, I'm not the OP so not me. Although I can't imagine any of the other housemates complaining about the OP's mattress.
    Sorry my bad. They have said the shower us the main issue and that the person before them said nothing about the bed.

Advertisement