Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I have to pay or should my landlord?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

Mattress -just better off getting a decent one yourself. LL will just buy cheapest available.

Shower - I take it the other shower is an en-suite?
    If so the landlord should just get it fixed or install an electric shower if cheaper. The LL obviously is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

ted1 wrote: »
    What kind of shower is his? If you are downstairs and he is upstairs then you should have better pressure.

He is upstairs but his is an electric shower. Could that be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Your shower is off a standard copper cylinder? In the hot press.. Or is it from a water heater or boiler or something?

It couldn't be just a valve in the hot press turned right down could it?
    Do you get hot water from the kitchen tap? And is that on the same floor as the bathroom...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    I find your comments rather close-minded. Reading back and I still don't understand why my landlord has any reason not to trust me. I was happy to go with his own plumber - he just never showed up.

From your experience, you must have rather bad judgement when it comes to tennants renting your property. Especially with you're complaints and tarring each tennant with the same brush.

I havent read back through all ray palmers comments but i also wouldnt trust what a tenants tradesman says either. I pay my own guys to do work that i trust. There is still a lot of cowboys out there where they can blow an issue out of proportion to get a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I find your comments rather close-minded. Reading back and I still don't understand why my landlord has any reason not to trust me. I was happy to go with his own plumber - he just never showed up.

From your experience, you must have rather bad judgement when it comes to tennants renting your property. Especially with you're complaints and tarring each tennant with the same brush.
    I had a tenant tell me they got a plumber down and that the boiler had to be replaced. A two year old boiler still under warranty. Went down noticed it hadn't been switch on but the plumber preceded to say how the entire system needed to be replaced. I walked over switched on the boiler and the heating started straight away. Looked at the tenant and plumber and asked why didn't they just switch it on as the instructions were right beside it? Had a tenant saying there was a leak and the place was flooding, rushed down to see the tap on and the plug in with water pouring over the sink. Took out the plug and water stopped pouring onto the ground then turned off the tap.

To say I have bad judgement when you were the one who didn't inspect the property they were going to live in is laughable. My judgment is very good as I know not to trust a tradesman a tenant gets because either it is a personal friend or they randomly picked somebody without any checks on them.

I am experienced and know a lot more about plumbing than you having installed bathrooms and kitchens myself. You can't tell the difference between an upgrade and a fix. I certainly know how to fix a tap which you evidently don't.

Fol20 wrote: »
    I havent read back through all ray palmers comments but i also wouldnt trust what a tenants tradesman says either. I pay my own guys to do work that i trust. There is still a lot of cowboys out there where they can blow an issue out of proportion to get a job.

It was a tradesman I knew who was doing it a lot less than the original quote we received. His guy had originally quoted more. There are cowboys in all walks of life.

It was a tradesman I knew who was doing it a lot less than the original quote we received. His guy had originally quoted more. There are cowboys in all walks of life.
    How many plumbers have you called down to look at this then? This is why I have doubts about your credibility, always a new piece of information being added. Strange to be getting quotes on work the landlord has not even approved to do.
    If it was a plumber I knew he would have fixed the tap while there as it takes 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Ray you reminded me of a problem I had in an apartment in London when I lived there, a leak into apartment below. Plumber reckoned it was going to be a big job to take out bath, fix pipes, re-tile etc, cost £1k+, another plumber put two short wood planks under bath to support it, he said the bath was a cheap one and it was bending when we stood in it for a shower, re-sealed around bath, £80.

I still wonder if op has unscrewed the shower head to check flow in hose.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I had a tenant tell me they got a plumber down and that the boiler had to be replaced. A two year old boiler still under warranty. Went down noticed it hadn't been switch on but the plumber preceded to say how the entire system needed to be replaced. I walked over switched on the boiler and the heating started straight away. Looked at the tenant and plumber and asked why didn't they just switch it on as the instructions were right beside it? Had a tenant saying there was a leak and the place was flooding, rushed down to see the tap on and the plug in with water pouring over the sink. Took out the plug and water stopped pouring onto the ground then turned off the tap.

To say I have bad judgement when you were the one who didn't inspect the property they were going to live in is laughable. My judgment is very good as I know not to trust a tradesman a tenant gets because either it is a personal friend or they randomly picked somebody without any checks on them.

I am experienced and know a lot more about plumbing than you having installed bathrooms and kitchens myself. You can't tell the difference between an upgrade and a fix. I certainly know how to fix a tap which you evidently don't.

Ray you sound like a an all-rounder. A modest one at that - Kudos to you! Like I said, I really couldn't care less as to whether you believe me or not and the situation is now being handled. Thankfully, I steered clear of your brutal negativity and worse advice. I wonder how you would react if someone hopped in to test the shower upon expecting your house - ha!

Someone who tarnishes every tradesman and tennant with the same brush is not worth listening to. The fact that you don't know the difference between broken and a fix bewilders me.

To answer your other question I called a plumber after the landlord had called one himself. Where my quote came in lower than his. What's so hard to believe here?

I've given you the info, you just don't like what you're hearing.

Anyway to the others - thanks for the feedback it was much appreciated The situation is no being dealt with. If you;re renting in future, double check to see that your landlord isn't Ray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would buy the mattress yourself, but I wouldn't be responsible for getting rid of the old one.

In terms of the shower, I would email the landlord explaining the issue and asking for it to be rectified by x date. Explain if it is not rectified, that you will be raising a dispute with the RTB after the specified date.

@Brill
    I tell all my potential tenants to check EVERYTHING including the shower. Something stupid tenants forget to check.

Avoid the voice of experience and blame others for the situation you got yourself in.

I never said all tradesmen are bad nor tenants.

I am completely upfront about how I deal with my property and the tenants are well informed. If you were renting off me you would not be in the situation you are in right now.

As for the information you have provided it is all inconsistent as if you didn't track what was going on. You then add opinion throughout confusing matters. You claimed the plumber didn't turn up but now he did and gave a quote before you got your own plumber. Why would there be a quote for an upgrade the owner never agreed to. Maybe you just can't give details in a coherent way.

Anyway to answer your questions yet again. The landlord does not have to pay for what you want. If the taps are not working that is all they are required to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Lux23 wrote: »
    I would buy the mattress yourself, but I wouldn't be responsible for getting rid of the old one.

If you bought your own mattress and took it with you when you left, wouldn’t you have to put the original one back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Dav010 wrote: »
    If you bought your own mattress and took it with you when you left, wouldn’t you have to put the original one back?

Yes; the original belongs to the landlord and you couldn't dispose of it without their permission, so you'd have to hang onto it yourself and leave it when you move out. You'd be responsible for replacing it with a mattress of like quality or reimbursing the landlord for the value if something did happen to it.

Advertisement