Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public/Private?

Options
  • 19-08-2019 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭

Good morning all. So it looks like I'm going to be a Dad for the first time.

We've just found out recently and we're trying to wrap our head around the whole Public/Private/Consultant thing. I've great VHI etc and not worried really about cost etc which is lucky but don't really know where to start.

Can any of you share your experience/recommendations on the Public/Private question and what your experiences were with consultants etc?

Thanks a million.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Your geographical location would probably be useful here, if you’re looking for recommendations of specific consultants.
    I’ve gone private on all mine, and would do it again. I like the short wait times, meeting the sand consultant throughout, and having my own room!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

A friend of mine had his first child in the normal public side, then his second and third private. He says it's better to go private, that was a few years ago now. He was telling me at the time what the benefits were to going public but i can't really remember. I do remember thinking at the time that it seemed like a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

jlm29 wrote: »
    Your geographical location would probably be useful here, if you’re looking for recommendations of specific consultants.
    I’ve gone private on all mine, and would do it again. I like the short wait times, meeting the sand consultant throughout, and having my own room!

:) Thanks, completely forgot that. We're based in Dublin 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

funk-you wrote: »
    :) Thanks, completely forgot that. We're based in Dublin 7.

Congratulations!

I’m not in Dublin but I went private with all of my pregnancies and I’d do it again.

I’ve no experience of public so I couldn’t speak on that.

VHI wont cover consultant fees so expect to pay between 3-5k fees, a portion of this (20% from memory) is recoverable back on tax back. Or at least it used to be, I’m out of the game a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Congratulations!

I’m not in Dublin but I went private with all of my pregnancies and I’d do it again.

I’ve no experience of public so I couldn’t speak on that.

VHI wont cover consultant fees so expect to pay between 3-5k fees, a portion of this (20% from memory) is recoverable back on tax back. Or at least it used to be, I’m out of the game a while :D

Great info, thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Congratulations!!! I went public on my two. The downsides I found were the waiting times, sometimes I'd be there 3 hours per visit.You can always spot the first timers as the look of sheer panic that crosses their face when they walk in to a jam packed waiting room.

First you wait to be called for one to one with midwife, just general health chat...pop along to give urine sample, wait for that to be tested, queue up for blood draw. Then sent back out to wait and wait some more for the consultant.

Then when baby is born you are in a communal room. Mine had 6 beds, so 6 babies taking turns crying during the night.

That said can't really fault the standard of care. I didn't have any underlying health issues so wasn't concerned about seeing the same consultant.

We had vhi too but I couldn't justify the expense to be honest, as much as I would have loved a private bathroom. I think you also have to pay for scans which are 120 a pop.

There is also no guarantee that you will get a private room as they may be in use.

I attended the same Dublin Hospital on both.

It's an exciting time, get as much sleep in now as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I've done both and would 100% recommend private if you can afford it. I had easy pregnancies so care was fine in public but the delivery on my first was an absolute disaster and I have no doubt if I'd been private decisions would have been made a lot quicker.

You get more scans, more attention and hopefully a room to yourself if you're private.

I would say that regardless of your health insurance you will have to pay the consultants fee which will be upwards of 3/4k. In my opinion it's worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I had VHI but I went public in Holles St.

I was under Dr Michael Foley, I saw him at every visit and got a mini-scan, with photos, every time. I was rarely waiting for more than a few minutes at his clinics, but he did have a reputation for being faster than most consultants (but very thorough at the same time.) He wasn't there for the birth itself, but I wasn't too bothered about that, there was no medical need for a consultant and there were midwives with me all the way through the labour and birth.

After the birth I was on a 6-bed ward with 8 mothers and babies squished in. It wasn't particularly nice or quiet or comfortable, and sure a private room would have certainly been nicer, but I couldn't justify paying literally thousands of euro for a couple of nights.

From everything I've heard, at least in the Dublin hospitals, if there are any complications you will get the best care regardless of whether you're public or private. Thinking ahead, babies are expensive - is it really worth 2-3 months creche fees for a bit of extra space and comfort? For me, the answer was certainly not!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I went semi-private (Dublin)mainly just for the room afterwards.

Note no matter how you go you are in the same delivery rooms, same midwives, same emergency room.There are no separate "private" delivery rooms (by which I mean your delivery room is private because there is just you delivering in there, but the next patient could just as easily be a public one-you are not paying for the privilege of a different suite of delivery rooms or midwifery staff, or paediatric staff).

I chose not to go fully private because I did not want a consultant to have to be present at the births if I could avoid it.I also did not want to fork out 3/4k for someone who could be on holidays when I was due, or who might want to induce me or push me to fit their schedule (I was a tad over-suspicious of them!!)However equally, I can see the comfort of seeing the same doctor throughout (which managed under the semi -private scheme anyway).And I was lucky with three healthy pregnancies and straightforward births.

Very much personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I thought it was a wate of money until something went wrong in the last few days on number 1, pear shaped again on number 2 and 3'rd was smooth enough sailing. I question if the first 2 would have made it if it's wasn't for going private.
    If you can afford it go private, one big benefit was that my other half had her own room to recover for a few days and got plenty of help in trying to breastfeed from the staff, 3 very happy kids later and there rarely if ever sick not as much as a tummy bug, touch wood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I thought it was a wate of money until something went wrong in the last few days on number 1, pear shaped again on number 2 and 3'rd was smooth enough sailing. I question if the first 2 would have made it if it's wasn't for going private.
    If you can afford it go private, one big benefit was that my other half had her own room to recover for a few days and got plenty of help in trying to breastfeed from the staff, 3 very happy kids later and there rarely if ever sick not as much as a tummy bug, touch wood.

You kids being healthy has nothing to with going private.

We're going public using the Domino scheme with the Coombe. Due in December. Wait times for scans were less than 15 minutes. Blood tests are done in Lucan with a nurse and minimal wait time there too.

It's our first and maybe we have to go through the full experience before I can comment but public is fine so far for us.

Nothing in the slightest, I was putting it down the the breastfeeding, she got a lot of encouragement in Hospital, I don't think you'd get the same attention on the public ward seems to be a more in and out job.

Ah I think they're very good in the public wards too. My wife's friends received great support and encouragement for breastfeeding.

Yea my sister had no issue going public with 3. On our second the doctor pulled me behind the curtain and said you should see this...there was the baby with the tube wrapped around it's neck he held it up to show me, I'd hate to think what would happen if you weren't in a hospital and somebody said push, there was no way that was coming out the normal way. The first one started chocking on his meconium and resulted in an emergency C but the consultant copped something was a miss and had my wife brought in early.

Yeah so many things can happen. Suppose your experience will influence your judgement on the public/private debate. If everything goes well and you've gone public, you'll tell everyone there's no need for private. If there is an issue and you were private, and it was all sorted and a healthy baby is born you'll say you're glad you went private.

The truth is the above scenarios could easily happen the other way around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Dublin 7 - look at community led midwives in the Rotunda.
    Once you’re low risk they’ll take you, you get moved to normal public for additional checks by consultants and doctors if something looks off.

First visit in your house, scans at the hospital, other visits in a local health center. Leave hospital shortly after birth and they visit you daily at home. Far more relaxed then normal public, very little time on a public ward, much less waiting at appointments, nice to get quickly home to your own bed and to have the support at home.

The risk is it depends on all going to plan, but if you end up high risk and private you’re still going to have a lot of appointments and general faff.

Dublin 7 - look at community led midwives in the Rotunda.
    Once you’re low risk they’ll take you, you get moved to normal public for additional checks by consultants and doctors if something looks off.

First visit in your house, scans at the hospital, other visits in a local health center. Leave hospital shortly after birth and they visit you daily at home. Far more relaxed then normal public, very little time on a public ward, much less waiting at appointments, nice to get quickly home to your own bed and to have the support at home.

The risk is it depends on all going to plan, but if you end up high risk and private you’re still going to have a lot of appointments and general faff.

Think that's what we're doing. Called Domino in the Coombe.

http://www.coombe.ie/index.php?nodeId=242

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

We had our one and only back over 10 years ago .I was blase faire about going private but my good wife insisted on it.No special treatment leading up to birth but by God we were glad on the day .We hear every night of compensation cases in regards delays in delivery and we were very close to that happening ourselves .Imo hospital out side of the pale as good as close in the weekend and god forbid if any complication accour .Might be better to pick a busy hospital in one of the nearest cities if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mrsfisherman

I had public on both mine. Found the care outstanding 8 years apart. Yes had a wait at appts on some days but not a problem. First one was 4 sharing a room and second was 2 sharing a room. You get the same care on the day.

cute geoge wrote: »
    Imo hospital out side of the pale as good as close in the weekend and god forbid if any complication accour .Might be better to pick a busy hospital in one of the nearest cities if possible

This is it, Dublin, Cork I'd say your safe enough outside that somebody is probably going to wind up dead if things go wrong at the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 missy_t

Went public on mine in a regional hospital. Couldn't fault it. Was very sick during pregnancy (eventually put on bedrest) and was seen very regularly for check ups and extra scans. Had a terrible birth (not related to pregnancy problems at all) and the care was first class. Had the consultant come in and by the time baby was born there were 3 doctors and 4 nurses/midwives in the room with me! We had to stay in for 7 nights (baby was in Special Care) and the care I got was excellent.

TBH the only reason I'd choose private would be for the private room. Would just have liked a bit of peace after a few nights. Couldn't wait to get back home.

This is it, Dublin, Cork I'd say your safe enough outside that somebody is probably going to wind up dead if things go wrong at the weekend.

This is an absolutely crazy attitude. There are many many very capable and competent doctors and other health professionals outside of Dublin and cork.

This is an absolutely crazy attitude. There are many many very capable and competent doctors and other health professionals outside of Dublin and cork.

Yes but come the weekend most county hospitals are operating with skeleton staff numbers and doctors only on call .

Yes but come the weekend most county hospitals are operating with skeleton staff numbers and doctors only on call .

My doctor was in the hospital from home 15 minutes after being called when I had my baby last time. It literally would have taken her longer to walk from one end of a bigger hospital to another.

My doctor was in the hospital from home 15 minutes after being called when I had my baby last time. It literally would have taken her longer to walk from one end of a bigger hospital to another.

You were lucky your doctor was able to get there that fast .It depends on the competency of the doctor as well .A doctor might be in a room with you and if things go wrong ,they can go wrong

You were lucky your doctor was able to get there that fast .It depends on the competency of the doctor as well .A doctor might be in a room with you and if things go wrong ,they can go wrong

And that can’t happen in dublin?

Of course issues can happen in any hospital but in a busy hospital you will have a greater number of doctors to access within a crucial time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Of course issues can happen in any hospital but in a busy hospital you will have a greater number of doctors to access within a crucial time.

Is there any hospital Maternity or otherwise that isn’t busy?

I’ve never been in one if there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Went private every time. Didn't want the midwife scheme as they shunt you out to the public system if there's any small issue and I didn't like that possibility. My consultant dealt with complications such as needing an amniocentesis and I was so glad she provided all that care. I needed sections and being on a busy public ward would have done my head in. I found the public care I got on a few occasions adequate at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Totally agree with lazygal. Went Domino on my first and it's a brilliant service with fantastic midwives however if you have any issues or go over (which many do on their first) then you're transferred over the public system, being seen by doctors you haven't built a relationship with or aren't familiar with your pregnancy.

My first baby spent 5 days in special care after a 24 hour active delivery that resulted in an emergency c section and left me very traumatised. I saw 3 shift handovers and had meconium from the moment my waters broke. There's no way I should have been left so long before the decision to operate was made, I requested my notes and have no doubt that if I'd have been private it would not have been such a close call.

Going private isn't just paying for the possibility of a private room, unfortunately it's paying for peace of mind and in my own experience a much higher standard of care and attention.

I will say that there's no difference in the after care on both public and private. The nurses are incredibly supportive of breastfeeding and will help you any way they can.

Advertisement