Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public/Private?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 clarnimhurchu

I was on the Domino Scheme with my first, and again now with my second. I'm low risk, but I am certain that I would get excellent care in the public care in Holles Street. With my first, I had an unrelated infection and ended up being induced under constant monitoring with oxytocin and antibiotics being administered intravenously. The midwives were still with me the whole time, and their care is excellent. I barely noticed the doctors, who checked in every so often to make sure everything was going to plan. I am confident that if I needed more intervention or drugs, everything would have been done efficiently. The care you receive and the medication are exactly the same if you go private or public. Then I had to spend a few extra days in the ward after, instead of going straight home. The care here again was excellent, and I got a lot of help with breastfeeding. It did get a bit crowded at times, as it was a 6 bed ward, and they put an extra bed in for a few hours. However, I personally would fear being left by myself in a private room after what happened to that poor woman in Cork earlier this year.

I got the homecare from the Domino midwives after I left the hospital too, even though I had been admitted to the ward. This was very helpful for keeping breastfeeding established, and getting me comfortable with looking after the baby by myself.

Advertisement