Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else here a teetotaler?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I've had three drinks in the last 13 years, none in the last 10, so I suppose I could be considered teetotal. It wasn't a conscious decision, my lifestyle just changed significantly and it didn't appeal to me anymore. If I felt like one I would have one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Your doctor, HappyAsLarE? AA? I know it's not easy but there's got to be someone you can talk to. Personal Issues here? I know it gets slagged off for being full of people who aren't professionals but there are very helpful people too. Someone who battled alcoholism and came out the other side is as expert as any.
    14dMoney wrote: »
    I find it a poor reflection of our society that getting pissed is the national pastime. Again, getting pissed is something that has never appealed to me. It strikes me as low level escapism.
    Getting absolutely wasted is stupid (although I did it when I was younger) but getting a little merry is just an enjoyable sensation.
    looksee wrote: »
    Why is it anyone else's business. I can understand someone with a drink problem deciding to consciously go tt, but even then it should not be necessary to have to explain yourself. And there is something a bit prissy about the Pioneer movement - don't drink if you don't want to, but you don't have to join a club and make a production of it. The rest of us don't care if you choose to drink or not.
    Some here have experienced other people who actually do care if they don't drink though.

Not a teetotaller myself - three or four pints a week, or two or three glasses of wine a week. That's absolutely loads to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I have one or two drinks about once or twice a year.
    It started not out of choice, but now it is out of choice and I'm just not too bothered by drinking.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

NIMAN wrote: »
    As above exactly, circumstances change and your life changes.

I often think about all the craic I'm missing every Saturday night out the town, the music etc but when I do have a night out, I always find the realization that you aren't missing much at all. If anything.

All that partying, drinking, weekends on the lash, its a young persons game. And that ain't me.

In my experience this isn't true. The two biggest boozing types you'll find in any pub late in the night:

1. Young people, with no kids or family
    2. Older people whose kids are now late teens / early adults and are enjoying having their life back.

It's the people in the middle who stop going out or go out but head home early, because going out needs about 8 weeks notice and babysitters, and 5 year olds don't understand when you tell them daddy has a sore head at 6:30 in the morning.

Advertisement