Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Partry take a bow

Options
  • 19-08-2019 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭

Anytime I pass through Partry it always looks so clean and well kept. Lovely ordered trees. Flowers in pots galore. It would be great if other places were like this. Who is responsible for its cleanliness and presentation? Is it the council only?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

bobbyss wrote: »
    Anytime I pass through Partry it always looks so clean and well kept. Lovely ordered trees. Flowers in pots galore. It would be great if other places were like this. Who is responsible for its cleanliness and presentation? Is it the council only?

Its the locals who do all the work. A relation of mine looked after the flowers on the Ballintubber side of the Tourmakeady junction but alas she hasnt been well enough to attend to them in the last 18 months so the locals stepped in to try and revive the work she done. The village is a credit to the people

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

statto25 wrote: »
    Its the locals who do all the work. A relation of mine looked after the flowers on the Ballintubber side of the Tourmakeady junction but alas she hasnt been well enough to attend to them in the last 18 months so the locals stepped in to try and revive the work she done. The village is a credit to the people

It absolutely is a credit. I wonder has it ever won a Tidy Towns or anything like that.

The only down side to it is that there doesn't seem to be a village feel to it as it is just one long street. I never actually see anyone out and about. A street on which it is very easy to speed along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

bobbyss wrote: »
    It absolutely is a credit. I wonder has it ever won a Tidy Towns or anything like that.

The only down side to it is that there doesn't seem to be a village feel to it as it is just one long street. I never actually see anyone out and about. A street on which it is very easy to speed along.

The guards speed trap at the church there so be careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Your relation deserves so mamy thanks. I drove to Galway every day for 7 years and it was always wonderful to see the beautiful display no matter what time of year it was. I hope she returns to good health soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

As RMDrive said, your relative makes such as difference to people I'm sure she would never realise. Those flowers make me smile every time I drive past and I've always appreciated the hard work she put into a public space, not a private garden - spreading the joy. Hope she's in better health soon.

And well done to all the people who keep Partry so well. Ballintubber & Ballyheane too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Gun_Slinger

Just want to also add to what the previous 2 posters have said. A few years back I did the Castlebar->Galway commute for 10 years and always admired how well Partry looked. I would often see that lady out tending to the flower beds in the evening and wish her the best of luck with her health. A true credit to her and the people of the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Have often brought the family over to Tourmakeady waterfalls and was always impressed with the flower arrangement in and around the area. Fair play to the people involved, it's a truly lovely little village. It's such a shame that the main road passes right through the middle of it.
    Another nice spot is Bohola, I like their shrubs arranged to spell the village name, very well done and placed perfectly for maximum exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

corsav6 wrote: »
    Have often brought the family over to Tourmakeady waterfalls and was always impressed with the flower arrangement in and around the area. Fair play to the people involved, it's a truly lovely little village. It's such a shame that the main road passes right through the middle of it.
    Another nice spot is Bohola, I like their shrubs arranged to spell the village name, very well done and placed perfectly for maximum exposure.

That is what makes it such a special and wonderful place. Makes you want to stop... as I did the first time I was there. Sheer beauty...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Apart from its beautiful presentation, does Partry have any claim to fame. I remember reading about a crash a long time ago when Maxi, Dick and Twink (or Maxi alone ) were involved in a serious car crash. Apart from that has it ever been in the news?

Monsignor Horan was a Partry man. And Steve Staunton's dad, which was a big deal during Italia 90 :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

maudgonner wrote: »
    Monsignor Horan was a Partry man. And Steve Staunton's dad, which was a big deal during Italia 90 :)

Monsignor Horan was Steve Stauntons dad! Interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭CtrlAltDelete

yop wrote: »

Thats comical !

yop wrote: »

I did say it was a big deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

there is a line in christy moore's song about knock airport
    ''Then came a priest from Partry, Fr Horan was his name''

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks for this thread and the good memories. I am all but housebound now so will never see these places again and had forgotten Partry.. made my day brighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thanks for this thread and the good memories. I am all but housebound now so will never see these places again and had forgotten Partry.. made my day brighter.

i'm sorry to hear that, never say never, the spring will come again, i know you are english originally so you might not be familiar with the work of the great mayo poet Raftery, he wrote in irish.
    one of his most famous poems is ''Cill Aodáin'' in my day every Irish child learned it in school (every mayo child anyway!!). The first verse has lways stayed with me and comes to my mind on the 1st of February every year.

Anois teacht an earraigh, beidh an lá ag dul chun
    síneadh,
    Is tar éis na féile Bríde, ardóidh mé mo sheol.
    Ó chuir mé i mo cheann é, ní chónóidh mé choíche
    Go seasfaidh mé síos i lár Chontae Mhaigh Eo.

[ Now Spring is here, the days will grow longer,
    And after Bridget’s Day, I will raise my sail.
    I’ve put my mind to it, and I won’t rest again,
    ‘Til I stand in the middle of the County Mayo. ]

Advertisement