Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free program for remote access to computer

Options
  • 19-08-2019 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've had free access to teamviewer for years which I used to access my work computer from a laptop at home.

Unfortunately Teamviewer now says it is not for personal use and to upgrade is €31.90 which isn't economical for the amount of times I use it.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for remote access that is secure and free or around the €5 a month subscription?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

I'm using TeamViewer 14.4 and it says "Free licence (non-commercial use only)". And on the website it says that it's free for personal use.....

100% FREE for personal users!
    If you’re a student or are using TeamViewer to help friends and family, it's completely free FOREVER. You’ll never be charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

The important part of the OP is "which I used to access my work computer".

Having recently had similar with teamviewer, anything commercial related counts so personal use doesn't apply.

There are others available, just Google teamviewer alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Ya... teamviewer seems to spot you using it for work. Mine start to bounce me out mid-work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

that’s $32 once off? Sounds cheap for something I’d use for work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

TV keep tracking connections and frequency. If they see you connecting to same ID constantly or do have frequent connections to various ID's, they suspect business usage. At the beginning TV would start popping notification about what they suspect and you can ignore it, but finally they might suspend service.
    Spoofing MAC address use to work on previous versions, other than that complete uninstall and registry cleanup, but can't confirm if its still valid option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Have moved to this

https://www.splashtop.com

Was on GoToMyPC til they tore the hole out of the pricing. Company paying for it so no cost to me BUT I want something that will stay up. Also....I need remote printing to my home printer when working st home. Also ... I use 2 screen setup in work and need to be able to see the 2nd screen. The above seems to be holding up so far

Does your employer offer anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

going to assume that your employer currently does not have a remote access solution or policy for using tools to access work resources?

a VPn to the office would be the easiest.

that’s $32 once off? Sounds cheap for something I’d use for work
    Per month, single session at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Masala wrote: »
    Have moved to this

https://www.splashtop.com

Was on GoToMyPC til they tore the hole out of the pricing. Company paying for it so no cost to me BUT I want something that will stay up. Also....I need remote printing to my home printer when working st home. Also ... I use 2 screen setup in work and need to be able to see the 2nd screen. The above seems to be holding up so far

Thanks for that Masala - seems to be within my price range.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I'm self-employed but paying out €32 a month seems crazy for the amount of work I would be doing via a remote desktop program.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pay a tenner a year for a cheap domain. Host a VPN in the office. Connect with RDP. RDP and the VPN are free. RDP is also a better experience IMO.

Agree with VPN solution above.

Read this and see if you want give it a go.
    https://theitbros.com/reset-teamviewer-id/

Described process seam overkill, i think uninstall+clean registry+change MAC could be enough, have not tried on physical machine. Changing MAC works on virtual

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

For single use access you can use RemotePC, used it once Teamviewer became a non runner with pricing. Has an app as well for your smartphone so is always a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

I am using free version of teamviewer and it is working fine. If you want to change the app then try remote desktop connection. I have also used this app. Here you only need to connect your PC with remote desktop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

https://www.cloudberrylab.com/remote-assistant.aspx

I use this - free and it works.

Advertisement