Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I use Force Majeure leave

• 19-08-2019 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

I work for a northern Irish company in the republic. To cut a long story short my son was due for surgery that was cancelled last minute but my boss made me take the annual leave I requested to be home after the surgery even after I gave her notice the surgery was cancelled. I’ve gotten a new date for the surgery and requested holidays to cover being home for his recovery even though now I will only have 3 days holidays until next March. My question is she didn’t realise I wanted the date of the surgery off which is a Friday and has approved the holidays for the following Monday to Friday. Can I use force majeure leave for the surgery day even though I know in advance I will need the day off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Odelay

As I understand it, it’s only for unexpected events where your attendance is required. Because you have advance notice I don’t believe it applies. Someone might correct me if I’m wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

Force majure is for unexpected immediate leave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Cerocco

Thankyou. I just wanted to find out. I will use a holiday day and use the force majeure if I run out of days and need a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's for emergency only so say a fall, or family member needs your full assistance which was not expected.

If your child became ill for example today before you were due to attend work then this would be what it's for and of course if there is nobody else to assist.

Look it up on citizens info, it will explain exactly the full terms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

How old is your son?
    Could you take unpaid parental leave?
    I'm not that familiar with it but might be worth checking out.

I know it's off topic, but the boss sounds v unfair.
    Any chance you could work for a better company?
    Best of luck and hope your sons surgery goes fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gallifreya

Cerocco wrote: »
    Thankyou. I just wanted to find out. I will use a holiday day and use the force majeure if I run out of days and need a day

Well no - you can't. Force Majeure has a particular set criteria and cannot be used unless circumstances are urgent, unforeseen and your immediate presence is vital. In other words, if you are aware of an expected absence then you are expected to make arrangements to cover it or else use a different type of leave. What you are describing cannot be considered Force Majeure leave by either you or the employer.

Advertisement