Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identifying a TV wall mount?

Options
  • 19-08-2019 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

I've had a 40" TV mounted on my wall since 2014.
    I want to update the TV to 55" or 65", but I'm not sure if my wall mount will support/fit a TV that size.

Is there anyway of finding out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,140 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Mr.Maroon wrote: »
    I've had a 40" TV mounted on my wall since 2014.
    I want to update the TV to 55" or 65", but I'm not sure if my wall mount will support/fit a TV that size.

Is there anyway of finding out?
    https://www.soundstore.ie/the-vesa-mounting-standard-explained

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

My current TV is 200 x 200 - but how can I tell if the wall mount will support the weight of a 55"/65" TV which is also 200 x 200?

My current TV is 200 x 200 - but how can I tell if the wall mount will support the weight of a 55"/65" TV which is also 200 x 200?
    OK, remove your current TV from mount, extend mount arm(if apply), now grab by the end and hang on it. If it holds you it will def hold TV. :D

Jokes aside...
    As long mount size match, refer to bracket and TV specs - both will have these details.

Or check specs on your current TV and compare to new TV. Newer tech seam to be lighter.
    Another question if bracket fixings to wall are sufficient.
    60 inch TV will be ~20-25KG

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

As smuggler.ie says, new TVs tend to be lighter so a quick way of checking would be to find the weight of your current TV, either by checking if you can find the specs. online or take it off the wall mount and put it on the bathroom scales. Compare it's weight to the specs. in the catalogues for the 55/65" TVs you're considering. You might find that the newer models are no heavier, despite the bigger screens.

If your wall mount can actually support bigger than 200 x 200 then that would reassure you that it could handle the weight of TVs from 2014 which were bigger than your current model.

coylemj wrote: »
    As smuggler.ie says, new TVs tend to be lighter so a quick way of checking would be to find the weight of your current TV, either by checking if you can find the specs. online or take it off the wall mount and put it on the bathroom scales. Compare it's weight to the specs. in the catalogues for the 55/65" TVs you're considering. You might find that the newer models are no heavier, despite the bigger screens.

If your wall mount can actually support bigger than 200 x 200 then that would reassure you that it could handle the weight of TVs from 2014 which were bigger than your current model.

My current 40" weighs 10.3 kg
    Just had a glance through the 55" TVs on richersounds - most of them are between 14-16 kg.

Is it a bit risky?
    I don't want to get up some morning and see it smashed on the sitting room floor...:(

• Advertisement

My current 40" weighs 10.3 kg
    Just had a glance through the 55" TVs on richersounds - most of them are between 14-16 kg.

Is it a bit risky?
    I don't want to get up some morning and see it smashed on the sitting room floor...:(
    Riiiiiight.
    Do you remember where did you got it. DID keep record of your previous purchases, if you gave them your details.

If you not able to identify brand/model of your mount bracket, get bag of cement/sand(20Kg) and test that way if you want to be on safe side.

Other than that - new bracket.

Don't forget - specs for bracket only cover bracket itself, not fixings to the wall. you can get bracket that designed to hold 50 Kg, but if its fixed on blue-tack......

Riiiiiight.
    Do you remember where did you got it. DID keep record of your previous purchases, if you gave them your details.

If you not able to identify brand/model of your mount bracket, get bag of cement/sand(20Kg) and test that way if you want to be on safe side.

Other than that - new bracket.

Don't forget - specs for bracket only cover bracket itself, not fixings to the wall. you can get bracket that designed to hold 50 Kg, but if its fixed on blue-tack......

I bought it in Curry's with the TV.
    There's no writing on it at all - so I don't even know what brand it is. All I remember, it cost over €100 at the time.

It looks quite strong and sturdy. It's got four bolts holding it to the wall.
    recent

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I bought it in Curry's with the TV.
    There's no writing on it at all - so I don't even know what brand it is. All I remember, it cost over €100 at the time.

You were fleeced. Golden rule is this: never buy accessories with an appliance because you are at your most vulnerable for an upsell.

Electrical retailers know this all too well and they make a huge profit from selling extended warranties and accessories, especially (in the case of TVs) overpriced HDMI cables and wall mounts.

Amazon UK have a wall mount which can handle up to 400 x 400 and 36 kgs for £25.

Back to your current mount.... can it handle greater than 200 x 200? If it can, it would be an indication that it has a decent weight limit, probably up to 25 kgs or so.

This is it.

There are two brackets that screw onto the TV and they hook on to the bars.

coylemj wrote: »
    You were fleeced. Golden rule is this: never buy accessories with an appliance because you are at your most vulnerable for an upsell.

I probably was.
    My friend worked there at the time and he added his small staff discount to the price.

• Advertisement

This is it.

There are two brackets that screw onto the TV and they hook on to the bars.
    Hahaaa...funny part - i have exact same laying in workshop, not in use/no brand/no specs, but i had my old 50' Samsung(26Kg by specs -stand, Vesa 400x400) hanging on it. And i have hung on it myself briefly(~1min) to test wall fixings.

Probably you should have started with pictures earlier in posts

This is heavy duty full motion. Usually this type is rated from 60lbs(27Kg) up to 100Lbs(45Kg)
    Personally i would not hesitate, but its your call. Might be someone else will confirm brand/specs for you.

Haha should have went with the pictures at the start.

I suspected it would be fine - but I just wanted some reassurance it would do the job.

Advertisement